Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lens Advice

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

What's your budget like?

You could pick up a body pretty cheap on adverts.ie second hand and then use the bulk on a nice lens or two. You could pick up a 50mm F1.8 (new) and the 70-200mm F4L USM (Non-ISM, used) for about e550 together , which would be a good range provided you aren't initially interested in ultra-wide angle.

The 18-200mm lenses are good carry about general purpose lenses but in poor lighting at 200mm you're going to suffer.

It really depends on budget!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

A good idea is to buy a cheap ass lens to start. The Sigmas are a good option.
    Once you've decided to give up eating, paying rent etc then you can buy some better glass. If you decide photography isn't for you then its not great loss.

Generally good lenses have short focal ranges, as big zooms like 18-300s suffer from lots of distortions. Prime lenses are a single focal length and case the sharpest and fastest.

I'd get the 18-200 for either Canon or Nikon, there's not real difference. (Yes I said it)
    Also get the 50mm f1.8. Its a cheap prime that you'll grow to love.
    Its superfast and supersharp for less than €100.

The 18-200 might disappoint but the 50mm will impress. This should help you with your future lens selection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

5uspect wrote: »
    ....Also get the 50mm f1.8. Its a cheap prime that you'll grow to love. Its superfast and supersharp for less than €100.

The 18-200 might disappoint but the 50mm will impress. This should help you with your future lens selection.

The 50mm f1.8 AF-D wont autofocus on the D60 :mad:
    You'll need the AF-S version, and a lot more money!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

Thanks for the responses folks

First off in relation to budget I was thinking somewhere in the region of 700 - 900 all in. I ain't never going to be a professional so I'm in two minds between just spending the upper end of this range - getting a body & lens ( or two lenses) to cover as much as I will need as a beginner, or spend a little less first off say on just a kit lens - get used to that and then start to add on better quality lenses down the line. I'm really leaning towards the first option.

I might go for a body only, plus one of the 18-200's I linked to and possibly a50mm f1.8 as a couple of you have suggested - that should definitely get me started? Also as mrmac says the 50mm f1.8 AF-D wont auto focus on the D60 so that would probably steer me towards the Canon 450d body....

I suppose just a one of further query: In relation to the two Nikon lenses I linked to - whats the difference as they both look identical to me but at different prices?

Cheers again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

TheBazman wrote: »
    I suppose just a one of further query: In relation to the two Nikon lenses I linked to - whats the difference as they both look identical to me but at different prices?

Cheers again

The two Nikon lenses you linked to - are not both Nikon!

One is for a Canon version.

Before you spend so much money, on something you may not fully utilise, have a look at the Panasonic Lumix FZ28 bridge camera. Some great reviews for this, and some really good prices on fleabay.
    Built in lense, but it has a great zoom range. With the extra money, book a cheap flight to somewhere sunny for a few days, and take start taking some pictures! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

Cool - I'll have a look at that

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

mrmac wrote: »
    The 50mm f1.8 AF-D wont autofocus on the D60 :mad:
    You'll need the AF-S version, and a lot more money!

Ah bugger, Canon it is so! ;)

I'm a Canon person but I use Nikon glass in the lab. (One of the reason I went with Canon was to avoid the temptation to steal borrow lenses)

The 50mm f1.8 D is a great lens. Much better built than the Canon. We have two manual focus f1.2s, amazing lens.

There's always the option to get a second hand D70 or D80.

Advertisement