Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have stopped for 3 weeks,Anyone in same position

Options
  • 20-06-2009 12:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

I am in forth week of quitting using Alan Carr and for the most part it is working! Anyone out there been off them the same time as me?;) I feel very proud of myself as I never thought I could stop smoking without feeling empty etc.. would greatly enjoy some support though, with anyone who is in same boat :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

VictoriaB wrote: »
    I am in forth week of quitting using Alan Carr and for the most part it is working!

Most part? Which part isn't working for you? A little disorientation is to be expected - you might find yourself wondering what the fuss about quitting actually is? Don't worry - there isn't any fuss - it's easy, just like Allen said it would be. Part of the trouble is waiting around for something to happen. Nothing is going to happen.

It's done.

Anyone out there been off them the same time as me?;) I feel very proud of myself as I never thought I could stop smoking without feeling empty etc.. would greatly enjoy some support though, with anyone who is in same boat :)

Congratulations. Your a happy ex-smoker!

If you need support at this stage then go back and read the book again. Allen Carr's method, if fully understood, means you won't need support. It's not actually a big deal - quitting smokes. Although an addictive drug it's a fairly mickey mouse drug (in the scheme of things)

That's his truth by the way. Not mine. I just believe him

There isn't really anything more to it than this: you've quit smoking and have been freed from a horrendous, death-inducing addiction. You've not discovered God - you've just made a discovery that is a tad short of discovering God. You've discovered life - in the sense that it's life without the dreaded weed.

Congratulations again - lest you think I don't rejoice at anyone escaping that filth

I hesitate to say well done because the truth is that you did nothing much. Whatever truth lay in Allen Carrs message did the work for you. What you did was expose yourself to that truth. And the truth about cigarettes:

- what they are..
    - how the entrap..
    - why they fool you into thinking they matter..
    - why they are apparently so hard to quit...
    - why the are actually so easy to quit...

..set you free

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Broad

I never thought I could stop smoking without feeling empty etc..

Really understand that feeling, I thought I could not be the same human being off the cigarettes - really believed I would come out the other side a different, less animated, less interesting person - thought something would always be missing.

Three and a half years on now know that feeling was nonsense, though I really did feel it at the time and in all honesty was scared at how I would turn out!

You will be fine. Well done. Best of luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Blue_Wolf

off them 3rd day now using patches. I was off them a year and a half before by using the patches for a week and than going cold turkey. My girlfriend smokes so it's hard for me to stay off them.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭EpiphoneSpecial

2 weeks now, cold turkey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 serg353

I am in forth week of quitting using Alan Carr and for the most part it is working! Anyone out there been off them the same time as me?;) I feel very proud of myself as I never thought I could stop smoking without feeling empty etc.. would greatly enjoy some support though, with anyone who is in same boat :)
    Hi,I am now in day 4 from a 30 a day JPB habit ,It is hard but I know it will be worth it as a bonus I think drink will go for a hop for a few months also until I am happy that the weed is ancient history

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Happynappy

Off them 6 weeks this wednesday. Bought one box of patches and used as follows, cutting up the patches as required:
    - used the full patch for the first 2 days,
    - used half patch for the next 6 days,
    - used quater patch for next 8 days

Patches are what work best for me, I have given up long term twice before for 18 months and 10 months, but one slip each time when I didnt need to, got me back on them. I hope to have more sense this time.

At this stage I'm over the craving of the first 4 days and by 2 weeks/ 3 max I was over the boredom/ empty feeling stage, so I'm off them once i don't do anthing stupid. Some people may sneak the odd one or have a sneaky one when drinking, but I can't , if I'm off them I don't miss them after a while but if I have one I'm back on 20/ day, so just be careful if you do manage to kick them, by all means clap yourself on the back, but don't get complacent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

patches work because they are cigarettes in another form !

the whole point of quitting is to get nicotine out of your body, not into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Happynappy

Yes, but patches work as a stepping stone to going off them, I just use them for about 2 weeks, its easier to quit the patches at the end of those 2 weeks than the cigarettes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

fair enough

Advertisement