Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

After Hours topic

Options
  • 20-06-2009 3:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055597488&page=4
    Sad story yes.

But I don't understand how this topic is exempt from people making smart remarks. I often read After Hours threads and am often a little dismayed by various poster's attempts at humour when it relates to a tragic incident. Usually they're the topics where someone has died but in an 'amusing' fashion.

Yet I rarely have seen anyone banned for making smart comments in these threads yet this threat seems to apply here. I'm not saying I'd like to see people making light of this poor girl's death. But as far as I can see, the guy was banned for being a little cynical. I've just read back over some of the Air France threads and some of the comments (including some from mods) are in very poor taste. I don't really understand how one topic can be joked about but this one is treated as sacrosanct.

Anyway, I'm just making a point and doing so in the help desk so as not to get banned.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

It's exempt from people making smart remarks because on the first page of the thread, on post number seven, Rabies the forum moderator posted the following:
    Good work by Pixar.

If anyone throws in typical AH comments in to this thread I'll ban their ass. Try to have serious thread for once.

That sets the tone for the entire thread. Posters are well advised to follow that tone.

I don't see anything unreasonable about the After Hours moderators deciding for once that some subject matter shouldn't be exposed to the ridicule often present on After Hours. There is nothing that says all threads in AH have to be unholy pisstakes without exception.

If the moderators had decided to start banning people on that thread WITHOUT having stated, very clearly, on the first page, that this subject should be taken seriously, then I would happily investigate user complaints. As it stands, this boils down to 'you ignored the mod on-thread, and across this entire website, that's a no-no.'

Incidentally, you should always beware that you know the full back story of anyone who you decide to put yourself out to defend on the Helpdesk. The user Handsomecake has not been banned permanently from After Hours because of his contribution to this one thread. He has been banned permanently from After Hours because this is the sixth time he's done something to merit a ban in less than six months.

As I replied on his thread, I see no reason whatsoever to overturn his ban and tell the AH mods that they need to continue dealing with such a troublemaker. The overwhelming majority of posters manage to use After Hours every day without getting banned, let alone banned six times in less months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

Incidentally, you should always beware that you know the full back story of anyone who you decide to put yourself out to defend on the Helpdesk. The user Handsomecake has not been banned permanently from After Hours because of his contribution to this one thread. He has been banned permanently from After Hours because this is the sixth time he's done something to merit a ban in less than six months.

As I replied on his thread, I see no reason whatsoever to overturn his ban and tell the AH mods that they need to continue dealing with such a troublemaker. The overwhelming majority of posters manage to use After Hours every day without getting banned, let alone banned six times in less months.

Maybe I should have been a little clearer and specified that I was actually talking about Johnny_Knoxvile's ban. I don't think his posts were especially outrageous, there was certainly no abuse aimed towards the little girl, simply a little cynicism regarding the intentions of a major corporation. For the record I don't agree with his cynical tone, I happen to think it was a genuine gesture on Pixar's behalf. But in the context of After Hours, I don't think what this poster was saying was as bad as some of the 'typical AH comments' that Rabies warned against in his post, like those in the Air France thread.

I don't see anything unreasonable about the After Hours moderators deciding for once that some subject matter shouldn't be exposed to the ridicule often present on After Hours. There is nothing that says all threads in AH have to be unholy pisstakes without exception.

It's just inconsistent to allow ridicule on lots of other threads and suddenly take a harsh line on this particular one. I dislike the fact that so many threads on AH descend into pisstakes but it seems to be an accepted part of the AH forum. So it seems a little unfair to suddenly impose a warning on one particular subject especially when if you look in the Margaret Thatcher thread, the same leniency towards pisstaking is shown as it has been for years in AH (not that I'm a big Maggie fan!).

I'd just like to see some consistency shown in AH. I appreciate it can't be too easy a forum to moderate but if posters see abuse being tolerated on other AH threads they're going to form the opinion that it's fine on any AH subject. I'd never post anything halfway serious in AH because I'd expect it to be reduced to the usual level of playground humour.

Advertisement