Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Adding a mic to Vista

• 20-06-2009 9:21am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 339 ✭✭

Guys, can anyone help me with this? :rolleyes:

Trying to use a bog-standard(i.e.3.5mm jack) microphone with Vista - nothing fancy, not usb, not bluetooth etc. Well, I can't. There is nothing listed under Control Panel - Sound - Recording. There was a bluetooth mic before but In my attempt to get this working I removed it. Yes I've right clicked here and ticked "Show Disabled Devices" and "Show Disconnected Devices".

Any suggestions?

Thanks! :o

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

The mic wont be listed in Device Manager. The port is there the whole time, whether you have something plugged in to it or not. You have to make sure that the program you are trying to use is set up to use the 3.5mm mic input on your sound card as the default input. What program are you trying to use it with?

As I said in the post above, Audacity is good for testing these things. http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 339 ✭✭cianr

Hey JA,thanks for your post.

Im trying to get the mic to work with anything - games with voip, skype, windows programs etc. but no luck!

I did try messing with Audacity but cant seem to find where to set the input - ill keep messing with it though.

In Skype, for example, the only option I have under microphone is "Headset Microphone(Bluetooth Hands Free Audio)".

Thanks for your help!

cianr wrote: »
    I did try messing with Audacity but cant seem to find where to set the input - ill keep messing with it though.
    In Skype, for example, the only option I have under microphone is "Headset Microphone(Bluetooth Hands Free Audio)".
    Thanks for your help!

The first step I normally do is open Audacity, set the input to the apt one. Click record and see if you can see the graphical representation of the audio on screen. Are you sure that a) the mic is working and plugged in to the right port should be the pink input and b) that the volume is not muted under the sound and audio properties.

Thanks JA. Yep volume is not muted, the mic works fine on another pc, pink to pink and no luck with Audacity. Are you running Vista? If I go to Control Panel - Sound, under the "input" section the only option is for a "Bluetooth Headset Mic" - maybe Ill just end up having to get one of those!! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Cormac2791

mine works the best :)

• Advertisement

mine works the best :)

And any pointers on achieving that? :rolleyes:

And any pointers on achieving that? :rolleyes:

aye, use your common sense and stick it into the socket that has a picture of a microphone. :rolleyes:

aye, use your common sense and stick it into the socket that has a picture of a microphone. :rolleyes:

If only that worked. Thanks for your helpful reply. :rolleyes:

If only that worked. Thanks for your helpful reply. :rolleyes:

control panel > hardware and sound > sound > recording tab > test

control panel > hardware and sound > sound > recording tab > test

On the recording tab I only have one mic - a "bluetooth headset mic", and no sign of a test button. But thanks anyway!:)

• Advertisement

On the recording tab I only have one mic - a "bluetooth headset mic", and no sign of a test button. But thanks anyway!:)

no bother. come on, one more time > :rolleyes:

The problem with this is that all of the different soundcards have different control interfaces. I think the Realtek control panel is usually on the system tray or accessible from Control Panel as well. There can be multiple areas where the input can be muted/turned down etc. It is sooooo easy to click one thing that will turn the thing off.

Advertisement