Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tailbacks into Newry

• 20-06-2009 9:29am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭

I dont go to Newry for shopping but need to go for work and family reasons reasonably regularly and, of course, manage to combine this with some shopping.

I have got caught with serious tailbacks on a number of occasions in recent months. I heard that there were horrendous queues yesterday because of a diversion.

Did anybody else get caught badly recently?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DubDani

The traffic the last few weeks has been much better. The amount of shoppers from the south has been going down quite a bit due to the pound getting stronger again.

The problems on Thursday and Friday had nothing to do with shoppers, but were due to a security Alert (they discovered an object on the Train Line betwenn Newry and Dundalk) which meant that they also clolsed parts of the M1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Just take the Carrickdale exit if going via the N1/M1 to skip a large chunk of the queue. Go via the Armagh Road to skip even more or the queue. Or go via Carlingford to completely miss the queue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Famous45

Or go via Carlingford to completely miss the queue

This is too long of a detour to take. When you take the Carrickdale exit you can do as you say but if there is traffic visible you can go via flagstaff, it brings you in at the bridge entering Newry at the roundabout. This is the way I use all the time, don't think anyone else knows about it, jsut stumbled across it one day. But the easiest way to beat the traffic.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I went up today about 11.There was no traffic:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,483 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

That's because it was 11am on a Tuesday

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

A few months ago there was!
    There was loads of parking spaces too,which was also surprising.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 747 ✭✭✭tweety76

Moonbeam wrote: »
    A few months ago there was!
    There was loads of parking spaces too,which was also surprising.

I passed through Newry at 11am on Saturday last( travelling onwards)
    There was very little traffic at the main roundabout into Newry, very suprising.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭robo

What are Sundays like these days?
    I am thinking of popping up this Sunday, but as the shops don't open til 1pm, is it still advisable to go up early?

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭eimear1

robo wrote: »
    What are Sundays like these days?
    I am thinking of popping up this Sunday, but as the shops don't open til 1pm, is it still advisable to go up early?

I went that way to Belfast on a sunday last month and was caught for about 30 mins in traffic at about 1.30 - 2 pm.

Advertisement