Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to get new pc/monitor

Options
  • 20-06-2009 9:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭

i need to get a 30 inch monitor with high resolution ( would komplett/pixmania be the best place for these , i might need two.

Where would i get the rest of a pc excluding the monitor.

i will be running a very large postgres database on it non stop basically. so i need it to be running smoothly.i will also be playing up to 16 tables of poker at the one time so need a very good graphics card.The only other thing i will really be doing with it is browsing the web.

Could anyone suggest a system for me. i dont have much of an idea for things like this.All i know is that my laptop starts to struggle when i play a lot of poker tables

Cost isnt really an issue

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Dell.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Dell.

You, sir, have lost the internets. Oh, and this was a particularly unfitting place to say that :P

Databases are CPU- and storage-intensive. Poker isn't very demanding on graphics at all though. Unless you want to play 3D games on the same machine almost any modern graphics card over €25 will handle 2 monitors, although not all the cheap ones can output two digital signals simultaneously (so one monitor would be constrained to analog's 2048x1536 maximum resolution) If you really want to run two monitors well above 1080p resolution you'll need a card with two full-digital (HDMI or dual-link DVI) outputs (single-link DVI is worse than VGA IIRC as it can only hit 1920x1200 before dropping below 60hz)

Arguably the most important thing with poker builds is strong I/O performance for that price bracket. For low-end builds ordinary, good-quality HDDs are all you can afford but as cost increases you'll start to see RaptorX or SAS drives used, and then with more intensive database and poker builds a whole load of fast, lower-capacity ordinary drives in a solid consumer-grade RAID5 configuration. Such arrangements take the same precedence in a database/poker build as graphics cards do in a gaming build; depending on budget they become the fulcrum of the build. And Dell just can't handle that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

He asked where to get a 30" monitor?

Dell, Apple and HP do the best 30" LCD's you can get in consumer level pricing

Sorry I kind of tuned out the rest of the post. :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

D'oh. Sorry. :o

Advertisement