Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My talking cat

Options
  • 20-06-2009 10:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭

Hi. I have a fantastic little kitty and she is so vocal. I talk to her all the time because when we first got her from the shelter she was very scared and timid so I constantly talked to her so that she'd get used to humans (she was in the shelter with other cats from when she was born to 9 months old!)

Now she is amazing and has totally come out of her shell. She chirrups at me all the time it's hilarious. I know you can't really tell what they're saying but I was wondering has anyone else tried to decode their cats chirrups/meows/purrs?

For example, I know that when she does this quick purr lilting thing she means Hello can I come up and sit on you?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭PinkTulips

All of mine are very vocal but one in paticular has the most distinctive 'ppprrruuuurrrrp' noise, like a hybrid of a bird and a cricket :D

I can tell the meaning of some of his 'words', so far i have heard distict sounds for;

'It's 5am, if you don't get you far arse out of bed and let me out now i'm going to poo on your carpet'
    'You took your time opening the window, my nuts were freezing off out here'
    'I'm coming' (when i whistle for him)
    'Hello, what are you doing in my garden? Fancy rubbing my belly while you're out here?'
    'Bring me food wench, i'm starving'
    'Best move that baby, i'm jumping on your lap whether he's there or not'
    'My neck is itchy, scratch it' (usually accomapnied by frantic head bumping and shoving his head under my hand)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

lol

She also has this weird annoyed sounding short meow when she's walking around investigating.

Very weird thing - she jumps up on my lap and pushes her head under my chin and rubs her head against my neck but a couple of times she's given me a gentle nip on my neck. What does that mean??? It's when she's in super cuddly mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭PinkTulips

no idea, all mine nip me sometimes. the kitten fell asleep next to my head on the illow last night and kept snuffling my ear and nipping it... very irritating!

the oldest cat has a toy mouse that she's obsessed with, she walks around the house miowing frantically with it in her mouth... drives the boyfriend mad when he's trying to watch tv and she's looking for/playing with her mouse. especially nervewracking as she makes the same noise when it's a real mouse... she keeps bring us live gifts and standing there miowing as they scamper under the fridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭flying _squirl

Kimia wrote: »
    She also has this weird annoyed sounding short meow when she's walking around investigating.

Very weird thing - she jumps up on my lap and pushes her head under my chin and rubs her head against my neck but a couple of times she's given me a gentle nip on my neck. What does that mean??? It's when she's in super cuddly mode.

it might sound weird but the biting is because she sees you as her mother. the nipping, although she only does it because its instinct, is cuz its what kittens do when they are looking for a nipple to feed on. its along the same line as when they're kneading you like dough, often they will bury their head into whatever they're kneading and drool because its part of the same behaviour. the "prrup" noise they make sometimes is, again, part of the same deal, as far as i know its kind of a family thing, where they would only do it to people/animals that they feel are part of the family/clutter and in particular to the mother/bringer of food/family supporter. if they're doing it when investigating it can mean that they're just telling you that they're doing it (hey mah, look at me!) or in some cases they want a hand investigating. i can never tell with mine so i just do the "prrup" noise back and that seems to satisfy them. :confused:

an interesting thing to note is that a cat says hello by raising its tail. if your cat is wandering around and you *meow* to it, most times, unless its tail is already raised, it will raise it and do a funny sort of a trot.
    oh and cats do smile, if you're close to them and they're looking towards you sometimes they will squint/close their eyes and tilt their head up slightly (just like this ^_^). this is a sign of trust much like a friendly smile or the upwards nod and smile people do to each other when they're out of range to say hi but see each other.
    i might as well keep goin and tell you that when a cat rubs its self along you its marking you and its self. cats have scent glands in their cheeks and the rubbing up against you is designed to rub their scent off on you. but its not just a one way thing, they also want your scent on them so that they will be recognised as part of the same clutter/family. most times this is completely a friendly and heart felt thing but if you're ever feeding a neighbours car or a cat that doesn't know you they're more then likely doing it as a "hey buddy, were friends remember? now howsabout you give your buddy some of that nice food ya got there?". cheeky b*****ds :pac:

in case your wondering, I've had LOTS of cats and currently have three we rescued ^_^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

It's amazing how domesticated cats never seem to grow up and retain kitten characteristics. They certainly don't need to as long as they have Two Footers willing to feed and idolize them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭useful_contacts

Kimia wrote: »
    I was wondering has anyone else tried to decode their cats chirrups/meows/purrs?

For example, I know that when she does this quick purr lilting thing she means Hello can I come up and sit on you?

when my guy does quiet long meows(sound like wwwaaahhhssss) it means hes hungry(or wants what im eating even though he has a full bowl of food beside him)

small wines at my feet mean "pick me up"

if he yowls v loudly and i go over to pick him up he sprints off so i know he wants to play

Oh and when he is mad he walks sideways with his hackles up and his ears back - v odd but bloody funny

also my guy winks at us- seriously- i dont know if its a twitch but its so cute:)

Advertisement