Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Affect of the Recession on tattoo/piercing standards

Options
  • 20-06-2009 10:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

Searched for this but couldn't find anything on this topic, sorry if there's already a discussion on this.

While just browsing i noticed a good few topics on things like piercing minors as well as 56 stars on your face girl and wondered to myself, is this recession we're in affecting the standards and morals to which piercing/tattoo studios are doing their work.

I mean it's tough out there for everyone but specifically the hype period of getting tattoo'd and pierced is certainly dwindling fast.With that in mind do you think parlors may cut corners in order to survive?? Wether it be tattooing people's faces, to piercing minors, to hygiene practices.

Now by no means am i saying that this is going on intentionally, or do i have any experience or first hand knowledge of it going on, but does anyone think this kind of stuff could be rising because of the recession?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Under 18s were getting pierced long before we had a recession in this country. Not to mention the septic belly button rings in the midst of the celtic tiger boom.

And don't get me started on the crazy, solicitor happy father of the 56 star girl.

In short, no, i don't think it has an effect on ink/piercing standards. There will always be reputable places, and there'll always be dodgy places. Like anywhere, it's a case of looking around and finding out which is why. I have two tattoos and several facial piercings. Not one of them ever went wrong for me. There's a reason for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭littleman

vinnysixx wrote: »
    Searched for this but couldn't find anything on this topic, sorry if there's already a discussion on this.

While just browsing i noticed a good few topics on things like piercing minors as well as 56 stars on your face girl and wondered to myself, is this recession we're in affecting the standards and morals to which piercing/tattoo studios are doing their work.

I mean it's tough out there for everyone but specifically the hype period of getting tattoo'd and pierced is certainly dwindling fast.With that in mind do you think parlors may cut corners in order to survive?? Wether it be tattooing people's faces, to piercing minors, to hygiene practices.

Now by no means am i saying that this is going on intentionally, or do i have any experience or first hand knowledge of it going on, but does anyone think this kind of stuff could be rising because of the recession?

It could shawn but if places wana keep there standards up and reps up id say that they wouldnt do anything wit there prices or start doing underage piercings,id say if ppl just shop around they might find somewhere cheaper,so there not forking out big bucks for tattos or piercings,its hasnt affected me at all.yet,but after getting my first 6pieces of ink done,id forked out over a grand until i got my neck done and it ony cost me 70quid and itd done in black and gray,not a cheap knock of black and gray but a decent one at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

littleman wrote: »
    ...id say if ppl just shop around they might find somewhere cheaper...
    But best idea is to go to who you think would do the piece best, so shopping around doesn't really come into it. Unless you don't care too much about what you get done...

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭littleman

But best idea is to go to who you think would do the piece best, so shopping around doesn't really come into it. Unless you don't care too much about what you get done...

I know what ya mean,but if ya know the place and seen the work thats been done there then its all good,but when i got my neck done ther place were i got it done id never been to before but my gf got her piece done there and knew one of the girls workin there so i knew it was good cause i got my next piece priced at 400euro in town and 180euro and its getting re drawn so it will be an orginal piece.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

littleman wrote: »
    It could shawn but if places wana keep there standards up and reps up id say that they wouldnt do anything wit there prices or start doing underage piercings,id say if ppl just shop around they might find somewhere cheaper,
    People who shop around for piercings pritty much know what they will get if they go for the cheapest

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Not true some shops like body shock do special deals weekly or they used to, So lets say for hypothetical reasons miss fantasia charges 50 for a septum, but bodyshock charges 35 this week as it's special, which would you choose???

(the correct answer is actually snakebite ;) )

Advertisement