Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Motorbike dealers

• 19-06-2009 11:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

I'm probably posting this in the wrong place, apologies if that's the case. I'm looking for advice from the bike community as a newbie!
    I'm considering buying a motorbike and I don't know anything about them. I want it to commute from Kildare to Dublin city centre. I like the Harley Davidson Electra glide but it's out of my price range and it's probably a pig of a thing around the city but it's the type of bike I like. All I've driven is a vespa so I know bikes are a whole different kettle of fish, although the vespa is a dangerous yoke at times.
    I want to buy a new bike so I don't inherit someone else's problems but I don't want to re mortgage the house. Not into sports bikes. I don't have a full license but I'm on the wrong side of 40 so I'm hoping I can get something bigger that a 250cc starting off.

Any advice anyone has regarding, insurance, bike shops that won't rip the piss or rip you off and license wise what's required.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Nothing to do with Galway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

ronn90 wrote: »
    I don't have a full license but I'm on the wrong side of 40 so I'm hoping I can get something bigger that a 250cc starting off.

AFAIK, you are restricted to motorcycles <= 25Kw with a provisional license - age makes no difference at all:

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/travel-and-recreation/motoring-1/driver-licensing/provisional_motorcycle_driving_licences_in_ireland

Though age should help you insurance-wise at least. If you get a bigger bike, you'd probably need to get it restricted until you have your full license.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

I'm probably posting this in the wrong place, apologies if that's the case. I'm looking for advice from the bike community as a newbie!
    I'm considering buying a motorbike and I don't know anything about them. I want it to commute from Kildare to Dublin city centre. I like the Harley Davidson Electra glide but it's out of my price range and it's probably a pig of a thing around the city but it's the type of bike I like. All I've driven is a vespa so I know bikes are a whole different kettle of fish, although the vespa is a dangerous yoke at times.
    I want to buy a new bike so I don't inherit someone else's problems but I don't want to re mortgage the house. Not into sports bikes. I don't have a full license but I'm on the wrong side of 40 so I'm hoping I can get something bigger that a 250cc starting off.

Any advice anyone has regarding, insurance, bike shops that won't rip the piss or rip you off and license wise what's required.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

Do a search of the forum this topic comes up a lot, but basically you can get whatever bike you want and then get it restricted to the 33bhp limit until you do your test. After that you are still restricted for two years, then you are as free as a bird.

I did my test four years ago on a restricted KLE 500 a wonderful bike for commuting and though I have a bigger bike now. I still use the KLE alot and haven't bothered getting the restriction undo.

Last point get lessons and enjoy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

You shouldn't have a problem getting a 250cc cruiser. A few of them are learner legal over 250cc, dont have a list though. Think there's someone on this forum who has something around 1000cc and it's learner legal. :confused: You can always just get it restricted anyway, although check with you're insurance to see if the restriction is acceptable. Don't rule out a second hand one. You will pick up something nice a lot cheaper and get a warranty from the dealer. I have a 250 Yamaha Dragstar myself and use it in the city no problems (although I generally don't weave in and out of cars). Turning circle is obviously bigger than other types of bikes so U turns take a bit more room to pull off but its not a major problem. A u turn from a stopped position is handy enough, just allow more room if doing it in 2nd gear or more. You can still cruise by a line of cars up to the front of the traffic lights no problem.

It's a very comfortable bike and I have plenty of storage between a bag on my back seat and two big pannier bags too. Really comfortable low upright riding position too. Have a look around a few shops and see what they have and if they can give you a service history and warrenty with the bike. Will work out a lot cheaper than buying new and most of them will throw in some gear with the bike (jackets / boots etc).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 ronn90

Thanks everyone for your replies. Lots of info and suggestions to consider. Hope to have something organised for the summer as it would be sweet to learn in good weather. If I can just get it restricted then I can get what I want hopefully.

Who said going through a mid life crisis can't be fun.:D

Thanks again

• Advertisement

Who said going through a mid life crisis can't be fun.:D

Thanks again
    ..... and nothing says mid life crisis better than buying a 09 harley :p

clown bag wrote: »
    ..... and nothing says mid life crisis better than buying a 09
    harley :p

Ain't that the truth!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

Hi ronn90

You proabaly already have the answers, but anyway here goes:

1.) I am going to assume that you have a learners permit for an A class bike.
    2.) I understand where you are comming from, wanting to get a new bike. I am not going to tell you not to. Go for it - buy yourself a new bike.
    3.) There are plenty of Harleys cheaper than the Electra Glide that you could try. Have you been to the Harley shop in Dublin? It is worth going there to see the bikes.
    I have been told that the 833 is a nice bike, and Harleys hold their value fairly well.
    4.) What other bikes have you looked at? Do a bit of looking on the internet at the different makes and models to see if there is anything you like in your price range.
    I went for an 'old man/learner friendly' Honda CBF 600, and think it is great.
    5.) Get lessons.
    6.) I am going to assume that you have been driving a car for a few years now - when you first start on the bike, ride like you are a 'car' - by this I mean - don't try and fly past traffic, or filter past all the slow cars. Keep a good road position, and keep an eye out for everyone and everything.

Good luck, and let us know how you get on.

Thanks P.C. Good advice there. I'm now leaning towards a Dragstar. It's more in my price range and from what people say it seems to be within the power weight ratio for learners.
    Driven a car for ages and had a vespa for a couple of years, not a bike but you've still got gears and your in traffic. I picked up some dont's while driving it. Completely agree with you about keeping a car space. Getting to the front of the cue at traffic lights is good enough for me.

Been to the Harley store lots of times (sad) and every time I go in there I look at bikes I can neither drive or afford. :-)

Thanks again for all the advice.

P.C. wrote: »
    Hi ronn90

You proabaly already have the answers, but anyway here goes:

1.) I am going to assume that you have a learners permit for an A class bike.
    2.) I understand where you are comming from, wanting to get a new bike. I am not going to tell you not to. Go for it - buy yourself a new bike.
    3.) There are plenty of Harleys cheaper than the Electra Glide that you could try. Have you been to the Harley shop in Dublin? It is worth going there to see the bikes.
    I have been told that the 833 is a nice bike, and Harleys hold their value fairly well.
    4.) What other bikes have you looked at? Do a bit of looking on the internet at the different makes and models to see if there is anything you like in your price range.
    I went for an 'old man/learner friendly' Honda CBF 600, and think it is great.
    5.) Get lessons.
    6.) I am going to assume that you have been driving a car for a few years now - when you first start on the bike, ride like you are a 'car' - by this I mean - don't try and fly past traffic, or filter past all the slow cars. Keep a good road position, and keep an eye out for everyone and everything.

Good luck, and let us know how you get on.

Out of interest, can anyone point to a list of bikes under the 33bhp restriction. Remember seeing a list somewhere, can't remember where though. I know there are a few bigger than 250cc which are legal, mostly cruisers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

Thanks P.C. Good advice there. I'm now leaning towards a Dragstar. It's more in my price range and from what people say it seems to be within the power weight ratio for learners.
    Driven a car for ages and had a vespa for a couple of years, not a bike but you've still got gears and your in traffic. I picked up some dont's while driving it. Completely agree with you about keeping a car space. Getting to the front of the cue at traffic lights is good enough for me.

Been to the Harley store lots of times (sad) and every time I go in there I look at bikes I can neither drive or afford. :-)

Thanks again for all the advice.

From what I have heard, the Dragstar are good bikes.

I am saving (and saving up for) the Harley for when I get older :D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

clown bag wrote: »
    Out of interest, can anyone point to a list of bikes under the 33bhp restriction.
    These lists are pointless because any bike can fall within the boundaries when restricted. If you mean factory restricted (for cheaper insurance) then check each manufacturer because they all do various models now for this category.

Advertisement