Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

By Bye Tevez

• 20-06-2009 12:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭

Looks like he finally got to the end of his teather with his treatment at the hands of Man Utd.

It was like an episode of a Sit-Com with all this Will They/Won't They rubbish!

Off to City i reckon!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/m/man_utd/8110740.stm
    Manchester United have confirmed that Carlos Tevez is leaving the club.

United were willing to pay the £25.5m to turn the striker's two-year loan move into a permanent five-year deal but Tevez, 25, has decided to move on.

"Disappointingly, his advisors informed the club that he does not wish to continue playing for Manchester United," read a United statement.

"The club thanks Carlos for his services over the last two seasons and wishes him good luck for the future."

Tevez became a crowd favourite during his time at the Old Trafford club and helped the side win the last two Premier League titles as well as the 2008 Champions League trophy.

But he has joined Cristiano Ronaldo in exiting the club, with his final appearance being as a substitute in United's loss to Barcelona in the 2009 Champions League final

United said they were willing to make Tevez "one of its highest paid players" but were told by the Argentine's advisors, who own the player's economic rights, that he would not be accepting the offer of their deal.

Manchester City are now favourites to sign him but he has also been linked with Chelsea and Liverpool.

City's financial clout makes them the frontrunners as their manager Mark Hughes tries to put together a squad capable of challenging the top four of United, Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal.

Tevez scored 15 goals last season but was frustrated at continually finding himself on the bench for key games and was wary of the issue ahead of the 2010 World Cup in South Africa.

Despite the affection of United's fans, he has reportedly complained of a lack of respect from the club and his treatment at their hands.

Tevez's adviser Kia Joorabchian recently explained that United's failure to sign his client up permanently last summer and in January 2009 were behind Tevez's complaints.

His departure now leaves United manager Sir Alex Ferguson without two of his most influential players of recent seasons.

Wigan midfielder Antonio Valencia has been linked with a move to United as the club try to replace the duo.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Hello Tevez!!! :D

That interview with your man Kia on TalkSport sounds very promising from our point of view.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Hello Tevez!!! :D

That interview with your man Kia on TalkSport sounds very promising from our point of view.

didnt I tell ya

you should listen to me more often ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

To be honest, I hope he goes to City over Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

It's almost embarrassing for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Tevez is one of those players who will give you 100% all the time. And hen the fans reacts it's like he's always looking for some more that that 100% just to pay them back.

He's a breath of fresh air to the game IMO and United have really missed the boat on this one.

£30m for Berba when they could've had him for £25.5m at the same time and wrapped everything up. Silly!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Tevez is one of those players who will give you 100% all the time. And hen the fans reacts it's like he's always looking for some more that that 100% just to pay them back.

He's a breath of fresh air to the game IMO and United have really missed the boat on this one.

£30m for Berba when they could've had him for £25.5m at the same time and wrapped everything up. Silly!

Yep let's keep the player that whinges about been rotated, plays 30+ league games and scores less goals and sell the one with a perfect first touch, has more goals/assists and never dissed his manager publically, never complains or is in the press.

Great idea there. Have you applied for any managerial positions?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Utd offered £25.5m. From Utds point of view I hope he joins city.

lordgoat wrote: »
    Yep let's keep the player that whinges about been rotated, plays 30+ league games and scores less goals and sell the one with a perfect first touch, has more goals/assists and never dissed his manager publically, never complains or is in the press.

Great idea there. Have you applied for any managerial positions?

If i'm not mistaken, Tevez scored 14 league goals in his first season, Berba 9?

"Perfect first touch"?? That's when he can be bothered to get to the ball. I've never seen anybody run as little in a team.

And as for your last comment? Typical internet bull! You disagree with my point so you feel you have to be as sarcastic as possible!

EDIT: Having just looked it up, Teves scored 15 goals for Man Utd in all competitions last season, Berba 14

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

little bit idiotic of him to say he won't join Liverpool cause of the rivallry and then go & join City.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    little bit idiotic of him to say he won't join Liverpool cause of the rivallry and then go & join City.

That's what I was thinking. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

"Perfect first touch"?? That's when he can be bothered to get to the ball. I've never seen anybody run as little in a team.

And as for your last comment? Typical internet bull! You disagree with my point so you feel you have to be as sarcastic as possible!

EDIT: Having just looked it up, Teves scored 15 goals for Man Utd in all competitions last season, Berba 14

look uo the opta stats ,you will be very surprised

And assists? And match winning goals and assists? Anyone can score a goal.

Tevez was handy to have, people rate his work rate too much imo.

If you don't like my sarcasm, i'm sorry.

Edit: So all that hard work form tevez is worth one extra goal in comparison to Berba?

That's a bit of a ridiculous thing to say.

It's interesting how now that Tevez ls leaving it's like switch was flicked in United fans brains.

JPA wrote: »

It's interesting how now that Tevez ls leaving it's like switch was flicked in United fans brains.

Anyone playing upfront at a team that creates chances like utd do will/should score goals. I'm not that bothered by Tevez leaving. Ronaldo is much more of a loss. They will be replaced.

the switched flicked a while ago for many of them to be honest, when it became apparent that he didnt wanna be dicked around by Mr Ferguson.

You obviously haven't read many Utds fans opinion of Tevez much in the last couple of months. Most are sick of his posturing and have been for months now.

I don't know why anyone is putting up stats comparing Berba to Tevez. Fergie wanted both, offered Tevez his contract to be in the top earners and Kia his 25.5mil but he wants something else apparently. ££££££££ I would imagine.

Edit: So all that hard work form tevez is worth one extra goal in comparison to Berba?

So, in the same breath you commend Berba for scoring goals, yet make a statement belittling the scoring of goals in football.

And yes, Berba had more assists, i'm not going to argue with that. But you'd rate assists higher than goals? Anyone can provide an assist!

jaykay74 wrote: »
    You obviously haven't read many Utds fans opinion of Tevez much in the last couple of months. Most are sick of his posturing and have been for months now.

I don't know why anyone is putting up stats comparing Berba to Tevez. Fergie wanted both, offered Tevez his contract to be in the top earners and Kia his 25.5mil but he wants something else apparently. ££££££££ I would imagine.

assurances of first team football i'd imagine.

if Rooney or Berba were treated like Tevez was treated at Utd this year, they'd wanna leave too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

the switched flicked a while ago for many of them to be honest, when it became apparent that he didnt wanna be dicked around by Mr Ferguson.

Fergie can dick me however he likes...wait...let me rephrase that...

Tevez was one of my most favourite players, but at this stage I'm glad he's going. Acting like a brat will never help.

I need a hug :(

So, in the sam breath you commend Berba for scoring goals, yet make a statement belittling the scoring of goals in football.

And yes, Berba had more assists, i'm not going to argue with that. But you'd rate assists higher than goals? Anyone can provide an assist!

I think Berba should have socred more but i think he will score more goals next season, i haven't looked up the stats but i think tevez had more prem minutes than berba.

I actually think it is more of a skill to provide assists on a regular basis than score goals. I get more joy out of doing it as a player than scoring.

You can practice finishing etc you can't practice a defence splitting pass as easily.

• Advertisement

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Tevez was one of my most favourite players, but at this stage I'm glad he's going. Acting like a brat will never help

i dont think theres a player in the world of the same calibre of tevez who wouldnt act in the same way tbh.

Anyone can score a goal.

I'd go as far as to say that's a huge understatement!

I think Berba should have socred more but i think he will score more goals next season, i haven't looked up the stats but i think tevez had more prem minutes than berba.

I actually think it is more of a skill to provide assists on a regular basis than score goals. I get more joy out of doing it as a player than scoring.

You can practice finishing etc you can't practice a defence splitting pass as easily.

Goals win games. You're being silly.
    You're going against everything that football is about.

if Rooney or Berba were treated like Tevez was treated at Utd this year, they'd wanna leave too.

How was he treated exactly ? If he wanted assurances of 1st team football then he can fcuk off.

Berbatov was treated the same imo. see CL final for example. Berba was heavily rotated. Rooney had to fill in left wing and hes not run off looking for a move.

He appeared in 51 games last season which was the most in his career (admittedly according to wiki so open to correction :) )

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

United had 2 years to sign him up if they wanted him, they left it till the very end to offer what was asked by which time Tevez and his representatives were already able to discusss terms with other teams and Tevez like always decided his future was best decided by Kia and Kia it seems has decided his client is best off being the top man at Man City. Tevez doesent feel bad about leaving United cos he always gave 100% and cos they had the chance to sign him during his loan and tbh I do think the majority of United fans would prefer to see him at City than Liverpool (although Chelsea arent out of it yet).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Rotation = being dicked around?

One of Joorabchian's comments earlier annoyed me. He made a sarky remark about how he couldn't speak for Tevez because "I wasn't the one that had to watch the Champion's League final from the bench". Tevez came on at half time, Berbatov came on much closer to the end. Yet it was Tevez who came out with the bullshìt of 'oh if you had picked me from the start we would have won' a day later, while there wasn't a peep of dissent from Berbatov. It has been the numerous instances like that that has caused this 'switch' to flick.

Anyone playing upfront at a team that creates chances like utd do will/should score goals

SO by your reckoning, it doesn't matter if Utd lose Tevez. And it doesn't matter who they replace him with.

If Utd bring in a striker from a lower league for £1k he should score 30+ a season playing for Utd?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Did he say it was cos of the rivalry? AFAIK it was just that he ruled it out

Rotation = being dicked around?

no. being dropped for someone who clearly wasn't performing for large parts of the year simply because of the price paid for him is being dicked around.

utd doing nothing to secure your signature while telling the press they are doing all they can to get you to sign is being dicked around.
    How was he treated exactly ? If he wanted assurances of 1st team football then he can fcuk off.

Berbatov was treated the same imo. see CL final for example. Berba was heavily rotated. Rooney had to fill in left wing and hes not run off looking for a move

berba wasnt treated the same until the last few games of the year when it became apparent that Utd needed to win em to cross the finish line so berba was given a bit of rotating.

maybe he wanted assurances that he wasnt behind someone who was undroppable, remember Tevez scored 4 against Blackburn? then rewarded with a place on the bench next game.

people called it at the time and said that someone wasnt going to be happy, and Utd fans preached how fergie could rotate em all and keep em happy, well, obviously he couldnt. which is why i dont believe Utd will sign another big name striker (benzema/eto'o etc) i'd imagine fergie has learnt his lesson and will sign up a veteran type player who'll be happy to fill in occassionally, or give youth a chance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

Alan, it is pretty obvious you are just trying to get a rise right now and really have nothing valuable to add. Berbatov was treated the same way but has acted very professional. Remember he was dropped for both CL semi finals and the final

berba doesnt want to leave

berba wasnt treated the same until the last few games of the year when it became apparent that Utd needed to win em to cross the finish line so berba was given a bit of rotating.

Strange that Tevez ended up making more appearances than Berba though what with Berba just getting a bit of rotation at the end of the season. :confused:

SO by your reckoning, it doesn't matter if Utd lose Tevez. And it doesn't matter who they replace him with.

If Utd bring in a striker from a lower league for £1k he should score 30+ a season playing for Utd?

Ah clutching at strays here dude. Noone said that a poor replacement would score 30+ goals just that they would score. Noone on the United team scored 30 goals this season just gone

killwill wrote: »
    Ah clutching at strays here dude. Noone said that a poor replacement would score 30+ goals just that they would score. Noone on the United team scored 30 goals this season just gone

Have you read the thread? Comments were made saying ANYONE CAN SCORE A GOAL and that any striker in the United team can and should score goals due to the level of quality of play.

The fact that nobody in the United team scored 30+ goals just consolidates my point

Have you read the thread? Comments were made saying ANYONE CAN SCORE A GOAL and that any striker in the United team can and should score goals due to the level of quality of play.

The fact that nobody in the United team scored 30+ goals just consolidates my point "dude"

There is no need to retaliate like that MrStuffins. I made a fair point and you reply with dude in inverted comas, now that is very very childish. Much like your ridiculous statement about any poor striker.

• Advertisement

Strange that Tevez ended up making more appearances than Berba though what with Berba just getting a bit of rotation at the end of the season. :confused:
    Headshot wrote: »
    berba doesnt want to leave
    killwill wrote: »
    Alan, it is pretty obvious you are just trying to get a rise right now and really have nothing valuable to add. Berbatov was treated the same way but has acted very professional. Remember he was dropped for both CL semi finals and the final

I've nothing to add, as opposed to blind fanboys slating the lad cause he refused to join Utd?! well here ya go....

Berbatov got 2569 mins in the PL last year.
    Tevez got 1857 in the PL last year.

about 8 full matches more for berbatov.

Berbatov got 29 starts in the PL last year.
    Tevez got 18 starts in the PL last year.

but maybe the introduction of Berbatov changed the focus of Utds play & they excelled on the pitch with their style of play, Berbas stats may not reflect it but the general play was greatly improved by his introduction....? nope afraid not, the team Tevez played in was much more pleasing on the eye and that season was a more successful one for Utd with a PL&CL double in style.

Can we please dispell any myth that were treated the same. Tevez was treated shabbily after an excellent first season for Utd.

In tevez's first season he got 14 goals & 7 assists.
    In Berbatov's first season he got 9 goals & 9 assists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I don't know how Tevez does it, but when you have people saying he is a breath of fresh air for joining the richest club in the world not challenging for anything meaningful after being with the prem champions last 2 seasons it's amazing.

Take a bow son Carlos

You're right KillWill, i have editid my post and i apologise.

Now, i don't think you're getting my point. It was put to me that anyone can score a goal.

My counter arguement was that, by his reckoning, any striker can come into the United team and score lots of goals. Of course that's not true.

My point was to show that not any Joe Soap can score goals at the highest level and it takes a high calibre player, so not ANYONE CAN SCORE GOALS.

I get the impression you have misunderstood my point.

Can we please dispell any myth that were treated the same. Tevez was treated shabbily after an excellent first season for Utd.

Utd compete in more than the PL though, why just make that comparison unless it just suits your argument :confused:

You're right KillWill, i have editid my post and i apologise.

Now, i don't think you're getting my point. It was put to me that anyone can score a goal.

My counter arguement was that, by his reckoning, any striker can come into the United team and score lots of goals. Of course that's not true.

My point was to show that not any Joe Soap can score goals at the highest level and it takes a high calibre player, so not ANYONE CAN SCORE GOALS.

I get the impression you have misunderstood my point.

More so I think I misunderstood how you were coming across in the post. I thought you were trying to be smart and disagree for the sake of it.
    I didn't mean to offend either.

• Advertisement

Utd compete in more than the PL though, why just make that comparison unless it just suits your argument :confused:

because its the big one-everyone is agreed on that.

you think Rooney or Berba would be happy if they played the same amount of minutes as this season next year, except a massive chunk of them in the FA cup & Carling Cup & CL? being rested in the league :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Julez

I don't agree on that? Pretty sure the champions league is on par with the premier league, probably above in most people's minds.

No :rolleyes:

you think Rooney or Berba would be happy if they played the same amount of minutes as this season next year, except a massive chunk of them in the FA cup & Carling Cup & CL? being rested in the league :rolleyes:

Carling Cup FTW!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Ardscoil Ris

I've nothing to add, as opposed to blind fanboys slating the lad cause he refused to join Utd?! well here ya go....

but maybe the introduction of Berbatov changed the focus of Utds play & they excelled on the pitch with their style of play, Berbas stats may not reflect it but the general play was greatly improved by his introduction....? nope afraid not, the team Tevez played in was much more pleasing on the eye and that season was a more successful one for Utd with a PL&CL double in style.

tevez.gif

Tevez is happy with your comments.

No :rolleyes:
    Julez wrote: »
    I don't agree on that? Pretty sure the champions league is on par with the premier league, probably above in most people's minds.

ok, so do you's think if Ferguson said to Rooney, "alright Wayne....me plan for next year is to play you in about 15 less league games, don't worry though you'll make it up in the Carling Cup & FA cup!"

you think Rooney would be happy with that?

lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

I reckon in years to come, Tevez will look back at this with regret, like Gazza did when he choose Spurs over United.

Greedy and foolish imo.

ok, so do you's think if Ferguson said to Rooney, "alright Wayne....me plan for next year is to play you in about 15 less league games, don't worry though you'll make it up in the Carling Cup & FA cup!"

lol

so why are you picking Rooney instead of berba ?

because you know berba hasnt spoken out about he's lack of games

Headshot wrote: »
    so why are you picking Rooney instead of berba ?

because you know berba hasnt spoken out about he's lack of games

did you not read my last post?

Berba started more PL games than Rooney & Tevez last year, he started 29...why would he be speaking out?

lol

bull****. I put the CL on a par with the league. you don't fair enough.

how about "Wayne this season I think you'll play left wing, what do you reckon"

• Advertisement
Advertisement