Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

header socket/plugs? idc connectors? what are they called?

Options
  • 20-06-2009 1:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭

Hey
    So this question isn't directly related to tweaking and modding, as I'm building an EEG machine, but it is technology related.

Anyway, what do you call the small, two or three pin sockets that sit on header connectors? You might know them as fan connectors (although those are keyed), pinhead connectors, IDC connectors (that's a stretch). I can't figure out if they are sockets or plugs since they are female but they are connected to a board rather than sitting on one.

They're the sort of connect you use for your case LEDs, power switches, which is why I posted this in this forum.

Does anyone know an official, radionics-y name for these connectors, as I might need to buy a few for my project? I am getting close to stripping an old case for them. :/

Edit: A lot of the older people I've asked call them Molex connectors, but that's no use nowadays, since molex connector to most people means translucent white IDE power connectors.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭generalmiaow

Sorry for necro-ing this if I am. Thanks for the response.

If anyone is reading this, it seems the best term for them is pinhead connectors. They are indeed Molex connectors but of a much smaller gauge than the type we normally call molex. Unfortunately I can't get a calipers to measure the inner diameter (the connectors are actually square) without serious squinting, and the gauge is usually specified as some god forsaken decimal of an inch.

It's impossible to buy them anyway without emailing china about 10 times. I just used old a CD to motherboard cable connectors when building my EEG.

Advertisement