Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bringing 10k+ CASH To Uk to buy car .. is there a limit ??

• 20-06-2009 2:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭

When flying to UK to buy a car (already checked out and inspected) is there a limit you can carry with you ?
    A friend said €10,000 max or you have to declare it ..
    how does this work , if it's over 10k do you have to prove where the cash came from , bank receipts etc. or what's the story ??
    what if 2 of you travelled with half each ??

thanks .

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,340 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

kennedy bonds are probably your safest bet...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭eyesofvenus

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

the 10k limit is a government law that is in operation, which your friens is correct in saying you will have to declare it.

BUT, be carefull, have you checked with the seller and if they will accept the cash?

when i bought my last 2 cars in England, the seller would NOT accept cash and want a bank draft instead, and the draft had to be from an accepted bank to them, ie. they said they could accept an AIB draft. although they were dealers, privately may be different.

kceire wrote: »
    the 10k limit is a government law that is in operation, which your friens is correct in saying you will have to declare it.
    You sure thats not just for non eu nationals travelling to uk like the site i linked above implies?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

You sure thats not just for non eu nationals travelling to uk like the site i linked above implies?

sorry yeah, its only if your entering or leaving the EU -

From 15 June 2007 if you are entering or leaving the European Union and carrying €10,000 or more cash you must make a declaration to the Customs authority of the member state you are entering or leaving. Under Regulation (EC) 1889/2005 you must lodge the declaration at the airport, seaport or land frontier through which you are entering the EU .

but the point i was trying to push, was that the buyer (OP) may travel all the way, pick out a car and then for the seller to turn around and say no, we dont accept that much cash!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

No big deal if the seller wants a draft. Head into the nearest prime lending bank and ask for a draft. Its only a cashiers cheque so they will be happy to do it.

The seller dealer will probably tell you what the best bank is for that type of transaction anyway i.e the one they bank with.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭mikemike

thanks for all the info ,,

but cash was the agreed payment , by both of us .
    if I use a draft , I won't be able to collect the car until he's satisfied that it's not a dodgy draft ... so I'd have to wait maybe 4/5 days for it to clear properly as it were ..

if the money's divided between 2 of us , would that be ok ?

I'm an Irish national/citizen

mikemike wrote: »
    thanks for all the info ,,

but cash was the agreed payment , by both of us .
    if I use a draft , I won't be able to collect the car until he's satisfied that it's not a dodgy draft ... so I'd have to wait maybe 4/5 days for it to clear properly as it were ..

if the money's divided between 2 of us , would that be ok ?

I'm an Irish national/citizen
    Because you are travelling from one EU country to another you dont have to declare what you are bringing

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭mikemike

many thanks for that , that's cleared it up for me ..
    I'm still not declaring to the wife though :)

Advertisement