Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

British GP discussion

• 20-06-2009 2:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭

We had all got into a groove there of Button being a juggernaut, but it's all upsets in Qualifying. Nakajima in 4th!

I thought Webber had this pole sewn up but Vettel does not want to be beaten. Let's see if Red Bull can run the race with the assurance that Brawn does. Me thinks Ross will take a walk over to Ruben's side of the garage tonight with a notebook to copy some settings....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭BoardsRanger

No wonder Vettel seemed so happy and i think Coultard knew Webber was lighter earlier on also

1. Sebastian Vettel, Red Bull, 666.5 kg
    2. Rubens Barrichello, Brawn GP, 657.5
    3. Mark Webber, Red Bull, 659.5
    4. Jarno Trulli, Toyota, 658
    5. Kazuki Nakajima, Williams, 652.5
    6. Jenson Button, Brawn GP, 657.5
    7. Nico Rosberg, Williams, 661.5
    8. Timo Glock, Toyota, 660
    9. Kimi Raikkonen, Ferrari, 654
    10. Fernando Alonso, Renault, 654
    11. Felipe Massa, Ferrari, 675
    12. Robert Kubica, BMW Sauber, 689.5
    13. Heikki Kovalainen, McLaren, 695.5
    14. Nelson Piquet, Renault, 682.5
    15. Nick Heidfeld, BMW Sauber, 665.5
    16. Giancarlo Fisichella, Force India, 668
    17. Sebastien Bourdais, Toro Rosso, 687.5
    18. Adrian Sutil, Force India, 692
    19. Lewis Hamilton, McLaren, 666
    20. Sebastien Buemi, Toro Rosso, 672.5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

No wonder Vettel seemed so happy and i think Coultard knew Webber was lighter earlier on also

1. Sebastian Vettel, Red Bull, 666.5 kg

yeah that was an amazing lap with so much fuel on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

Raikkonen really messed up Webbers last flying lap badly by not staying off the racing line. Hopefully he will be punished accordingly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Afaik there's no defined punishment for "getting in the way" during qualifying. In previous years the "red car" rule would have applied to the stewards, but maybe not this year. Of course, Max may have left the red car rule in place to avoid being seen to victimise ferrari when legal action is pending.

I think Brundle commented at one point that the reversal of Red Bull vs. Brawn was proof that it's the car "which most of us like to hide from" in his words.

• Advertisement

Afaik there's no defined punishment for "getting in the way" during qualifying. In previous years the "red car" rule would have applied to the stewards, but maybe not this year. Of course, Max may have left the red car rule in place to avoid being seen to victimise ferrari when legal action is pending.

Sutil was demoted three places on the grid in Bahrain for blocking Webber:

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2009/4/9256.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

I didn't think Raikkonen blocked Webber, he was slower than Vettels time before he got to Raikkonen, and Raikkonen was out of his way by the time Webber got to him. If Webber complained then the stewards would have looked at the telemetry, your not really saying the FIA are helping Ferrari out after last week are you?

Some smack Sutil had in q1 and as a bonus it put Hamilton out and let Kovalainen through.

Vettel to win if he gets a good start. :cool:
    Button to have a good race when he puts Barrichellos settings on the car.

EvilMonkey wrote: »
    I didn't think Raikkonen blocked Webber, he was slower than Vettels time before he got to Raikkonen, and Raikkonen was out of his way by the time Webber got to him. If Webber complained then the stewards would have looked at the telemetry, your not really saying the FIA are helping Ferrari out after last week are you?

I'm not suggesting anything about the FIA or Ferrari, simply that Raikkonen impeded Webber. It was careless driving on his behalf and Webber has said so here:

http://www.itv-f1.com/news_article.aspx?id=46200

I'm not suggesting anything about the FIA or Ferrari, simply that Raikkonen impeded Webber. It was careless driving on his behalf and Webber has said so here:

http://www.itv-f1.com/news_article.aspx?id=46200

Just because Webber said so doesn't make it true, maybe he just looking for an excuse as to why he didn't beat his heaver teammate. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,412 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

looks like vettel did great with the fuel, wouldn't normally back Rubens, but if the the Brawn is a better in the race or with the tires, he could be on for his first win this year, seems like a good track for him. Looks like a dry race but some showers could mix things up as well

interesting to see the weight of the McLarens... Hamilton in 19th same weight as Vettel, he'll be lucky if he gets near a points finish

• Advertisement

Just because Webber said so doesn't make it true, maybe he just looking for an excuse as to why he didn't beat his heaver teammate. :eek:

If you read the article he says himself that he is not trying to make excuses. It's pretty obvious Raikkonen was on the racing line and he impeded him. I'm not saying it was deliberate, just very inconsiderate considering it was at the sharp end of Q3.

If you read the article he says himself that he is not trying to make excuses. It's pretty obvious Raikkonen was on the racing line and he impeded him. I'm not saying it was deliberate, just very inconsiderate considering it was at the sharp end of Q3.

How do you know it impeded him? I have seen drivers pull in behind other cars to get in their slipstream and then dive past in qualifying. I think Webber saw the Ferrari on the racing line and panicked, or thought oh bollix my lap is ****ed but when he got to kimi he was offline and out of the way.

How do you know it impeded him?

It was obvious on TV and confirmed by Webber.
    EvilMonkey wrote:
    I have seen drivers pull in behind other cars to get in their slipstream and then dive past in qualifying.

Are you trying to suggest that Webber actually benefited from Raikkonen being where he was? There is no way he could have gotten a tow from him in that position, maybe on a long straight but not there!
    EvilMonkey wrote:
    I think Webber saw the Ferrari on the racing line and panicked, or thought oh bollix my lap is ****ed but when he got to kimi he was offline and out of the way.

So what was he to do? Assume Raikkonen would see him and move out of the way by the time he got to the piece of track he wanted to use? It was just lazy driving by Raikkonen plain and simple.

It was obvious on TV and confirmed by Webber.
    No it wasn't like i said Webber is hardly impartial
    Are you trying to suggest that Webber actually benefited from Raikkonen being where he was? There is no way he could have gotten a tow from him in that position, maybe on a long straight but not there!
    No, I am saying kimi in front didn't adversely affect Webber.
    So what was he to do? Assume Raikkonen would see him and move out of the way by the time he got to the piece of track he wanted to use? It was just lazy driving by Raikkonen plain and simple.
    Yes, thats exactly what happened
    We will just have to agree to disagree on this. :) (wheres vectra when you need someone to back you up :pac: )

(wheres vectra when you need someone to back you up :pac: )

i'll try for you

kimi in no way impeded mark im right because kimi is awesome etc :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::P:P;):rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

interesting to see the weight of the McLarens... Hamilton in 19th same weight as Vettel, he'll be lucky if he gets near a points finish

Suppose they have to go for a different tactic after the last 3 races where he has been lapped after being fueled to the gills. Should be an interesting race. Hope to see Vettel doing well.

🤪

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 831 ✭✭✭rotinaj

First race of the season Im gonna miss. Got to work. Any one know wher I can get a decent live time screen on the net?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 readthecontract

Come on Vettel, although I'm sure BBC will still turn the race into the Lewis show!

unreal drive from vettel there to put in the times he was doing from the start just shows how much raw talent this chap has

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

The race itself was a bit of a let down but hats off to the BBC for the outstanding coverage all weekend. I cant remember the coverage ever being that good. Well done Vettel and Red Bull. It looks like we've a championship fight now.

Oh and Top Gear is back tonight. Happy days!!!

• Advertisement

Great job by Vettel, Webber and RedBull. :)
    Ok race not the best at silverstone but good.

Come on Vettel, although I'm sure BBC will still turn the race into the Lewis show!

Total gibberish. BBC's coverage, yet again, was brilliant. The ONLY jingoistic unbalanced rubbish I see being spouted on a race weekend is coming from corners of this forum.
    The race itself was a bit of a let down but hats off to the BBC for the outstanding coverage all weekend. I cant remember the coverage ever being that good. Well done Vettel and Red Bull. It looks like we've a championship fight now.

Oh and Top Gear is back tonight. Happy days!!!

Even the choice of music for the VT footage at the start and end of the race was inspired. In one way, they had a great counterpoint to run with when the previous race is the deserted wasteland of Turkey, to the raucous noise of Silverstone, but they did a great job of bringing in the fans, the circuit, the politics, the racing, the drivers. Compared to last year and Bernie's famous "I don't care what you think, you're not getting a GP next year stuff yourselves", was also a great counterpoint.

Every interview they did with the exception of the tinpot dictators, showed genuine excitement, and appreciation that the drivers and people involved in the sport have for Silverstone and the British GP. Mark Webber has been the most outspoken on the subject in typical Aussie style, but watching the podium, you could see Barrichello pointing out the previous names on the trophy to Vettel. Puts paid to the gibberish spouted earlier about the "undeserved" pride the British have in their motorsport heritage. Lots of places in the world have justified pride in F1, and there's no reason the Brits should undermine the pride they have to suit people with chips on their shoulder imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭dennistuam

vettel appreciated all the people in the stands cheering him on
    big difference if he was another german driver with a big chin

The most interesting thing of the whole weekend was that Button clearly let the pressure get to him, right from before first practice he seemed to have written himself off, and at that stage he hadn't seen the RB's new pace. Far more interesting from a championship point of view than the damage Newey did to Brawn was the damage Jenson did to himself this weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Iron Hide

Was well impressed with the BBC coverage, they made a great show of Silverstone and it was a nice tribute to a great circuit. Hopefully there'll be the same enthusiasm about Donnington. Great race from Vettel (would have preffered a Webber win, but hey-ho). Hats off to Nakajima for more proof that he's a crap driver, baffling how Williams could sink so low as to employ him.
    Hilarious to see World War F1 between Alonso and Hamilton for 14th and 15th place. Poor Kovalainen getting mixed up between a Toro Rosso and a Red Bull, and Bourdais subsequently rearending him.
    Good race from Fisichella, points for Force India before seasons end i say.
    After a decent Australian and Chinese GP, Buemi's after falling alongside his team mate to the back of the grid. Hope he can pick himself up, he is far better than his team mate.
    Raikkonens start was excellent but he fell away, Massa doing well for fourth there.
    More points for Rosberg, if he had a better car next year i wouldnt be surprised to see him notch a few wins.

EDIT:Had to laugh at Raikkonen shaking his head and walking off the grid when Brundle was prowling for interviews. Typical Kimi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭enzo7

didnt see the race as i was away, just seen the end of the highlights. what was buttons storey was he just slow or what:confused:.

is this the start of the vettel fight back??? my dad seems to think so i dont want to burst his bubble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Iron Hide

enzo7 wrote: »
    didnt see the race as i was away, just seen the end of the highlights. what was buttons storey was he just slow or what:confused:.

is this the start of the vettel fight back??? my dad seems to think so i dont want to burst his bubble.
    Qualified 6th, didnt really push until the last half dozen laps. Just settled for three points instead of driving hard and possibly retiring.

Advertisement