Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AFTER HOURS DOUBLE STANDARDS

Options
  • 20-06-2009 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭

I was banned from After Hours for allegedly "Trolling", merely because I made a cynical comment about corporate America in the following thread:

Pixar does decent by a dying 10yr old girl

My posts are there for everyone to see.

I made a valid point, I was at no time offensive or insensitive, I merely expressed a point of view.

The Moderator that banned me, in a thread about the Air France crash, made the following comment:

'My first thought was to mail people the link saying "May contain lost spoilers."
    Now they all think I'm a callous bastard'.

When another Boards user (Fink Goddie) stood up for me and pointed out the hypocracy of the banning she too was banned and had her posts removed.

I've seen a lot worse said than what either of us said on a daily basis in AH and it is not banned. Suddenly people get over emotional over a certain subject matter and a little close knit group on AH close ranks and start deciding to ban anyone who's opinion differs.

Fair play to "stevie cakes" and "handsomecake" for also pointing out the double standards at the risk of getting banned. And to the moderator "Piste" who seemed to be the only moderator with an objective view.

Thank you for your reading.

Mr. Knoxvile
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Rabies' post > Your argument.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Post #7 was an on-thread warning. Had this not been posted then maybe you would have been ok but the fact that it was there meant that it was no longer a typical AH thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

You were warned.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

My take on this is, there was a warning given on the first page of the thread and you ignored it.

The Mod Rabies said he would ban anyone posting AH crap in the thread.
    like newspapes wouldnt try capitalise on a missing Maddie or a dying Jade Goodie. Im not sure i have faith in corporate morals. But i hope you are right.

The thread had nothing to do with either.
    So you were off topic there.
    as i said i hoped the poster was right when they said they didnt believe it was a publicity stunt. Its a tragic story no doubt.

They dont have to comment to get a story to spead. Internet, chat forums. I repeat i hope it isnt, i just said i dont have faith in corporate America.

Again, off topic.
    Not only was there a warning given by the Mod of the forum, poster Oubliette asked you to stop.
    0ubliette wrote: »
    Oh STFU. This isnt a thread about corporate america and you shouldve been banned for your first post anyway.

back on topic: :(
    i dont doubt its tragic.

Rather than remove my paranoid self or over sensitive people get upset, would it not be better to post the thread in a forum other than After Hours where you get a certain responce?

The OP was getting the correct response from all who posted until you derailed it with the above posts.
    yep, where did i not accept others view? I didnt call for anyone to be banned, or tell anyone to STFU or otherwise.

I made a point and a few people got touchy. How is this anymore "heartfelt" than child abuse or plane cashes? All of which attracts off topic comment.

It was an uplifting Thread because something could and was done to grant a dying child's wish.
    It was about Pixar rather than the child, you can see that in the way the OP worded the Thread title.

After your post the thread was brought off topic by another poster following in your footsteps.
    See below.

one of the most pertinent posts ive seen on boards .the double standards are disgusting in here. i recognise half these user names from jade goody dying/ air france threads and they all took the piss.

heres my pun.
    i wonder did she watch it in "colby" surround sound.
    insert thanks in the box below.
    double standards. you mods seem to pick and choose when you want ah to be serious. i didnt see you telling people to pipe down during the air france thread?? even though a poster's cousin was on the plane. that thread was wall to wall puns yet he gets banned for coming up with a pun of his own (an absolute gem i might add) .

what was the difference between the girls cousin on boards.ie who died in the ocean and this girl who died of cancer.

judging by your modding you value the little girls life more

i wonder did she watch it in colby surround sound.puntastic
    are you stupid??? i campaigned in helpdesk to have more seroius discussion in AH.i got shot down by all and sundry.
    jade goody died and was pilloried on here.
    couple of hundred people died in air france crash.........mass punning piss taking ensues? if i go trawling into either of those threads will i find a post from you in there calling for people to stop???? why the moral high ground with my post?

to quote what gets said on here every day " sure its after hours ,what dya expect?" . now off with you to humanities.by the way people related to me(one particularly close) died from cancer.so dont give me this courage bull****.she was probably afraid of the dark and tarantulas. she is not john mclane
    exactly my point. im not usually like this. im acting the arse hole to highlight the point. yeah the story was heart warming,yeah she was young,yeah she was innocent,yeah she had cancer which was not her fault.

people on boards could be related to a person from one or more of the following categories
    a rape victim
    an alcholic
    a drug addict
    a cancer patient
    a non nuclear family
    adopted
    disabled etc etcetc

people make light of all the above every day on here despite the fact it could(more then likely) upset readers. dont pick and choose which stories warrant respect or not. either have a forum(moral) charter or not.

i remember a story of a disabled boy. think his second name was baxter and his mother wanted to get him a grilfriend to sleep with him.and ye all took the piss.short memories on here
    Again there was a warning on the first page of Thread as to the way the Mod wanted it to go.
    stepbar wrote: »
    Ah, 9 pages later and the thread has turned into the cesspit of sh1te AH is. Well done folks.

Here the other poster thanks the above post thus agreeing that he is partly responsible for the way it went off topic.
    cheers thanks:D

• Registered Users Posts: 38,458 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

The OP was getting the correct response from all who posted until you derailed it with the above posts.
    WAT?????????????????????

You can only post 'the correct response' in a thread now?

• Advertisement

eagle eye wrote: »
    WAT?????????????????????

That's not what I said and you know that.
    That was in reply to johnny_knoxvile when he said would it not be better to post the thread in a forum other than After Hours where you get a certain responce
    The thread was in the correct forum imo.

The response that was asked for by Rabies on the first page of the thread was to keep it nice.
    Or to put it another way, he asked for no crap to be posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

johnny_knoxvile, I (as I hope/presume many others did) reported your posts after several unneccessary posts.

Rabies warned at the start of the thread
    If anyone throws in typical AH comments in to this thread I'll ban their ass. Try to have serious thread for once.

Your posts weren't constructive, or sensitive.

The Jade Goody/Air France Crash threads have nothing to do with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Tristram

I'm confused... was this or was it not in AH? If so the whole point is that it you don't have to be serious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ass

Fight the good fight OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭mgsrocks

Tristram wrote: »
    I'm confused... was this or was it not in AH? If so the whole point is that it you don't have to be serious.

I completely agree with you. If the mods wanted a serious talk then they could have moved it. I dont think the posters comment was out of place in AH and a permanent ban is to harsh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

eagle eye wrote: »
    WAT?????????????????????

No.

I asked that the typical asshat AH response (I'm guilty of it at times) be kept out of that thread. This is because of the reaction to the Air France thread.

If someone can't keep the childish comments at bay in one thread then there is no hope for them.

AH isn't the complete free for all that some of you think. We do have standards, but a little lower than most place but we can scrub up clean.

Why have people think its the dark pit of Boards all the time.

Rabies wrote: »
    Why have people think its the dark pit of Boards all the time.
    in fairness, it is

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

This guy didn't get banned for calling someone "a prick"

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=60787589&postcount=115

That would earn anyone a banning on any other thread but it would appear that since he was "on-side" with the mods; no problem!

all mods = nazis

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Sleipnir wrote: »
    Why do you presume he wasn't banned?

He was.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Gordon wrote: »
    Why do you presume he wasn't banned?

He was.

Ah, sorry then!

[Doffs hat, withdraws]

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Sleipnir wrote: »

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=60787589&postcount=115

That would earn anyone a banning on any other thread but it would appear that since he was "on-side" with the mods; no problem!

He was banned as was another poster for calling handsomecake names. I would normally note that on thread. I forgot to in this case which admittedly added to the confusion. Will do now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭dublintuition

Ponster wrote: »
    Post #7 was an on-thread warning. Had this not been posted then maybe you would have been ok but the fact that it was there meant that it was no longer a typical AH thread.

Should it not have then been moved to a more appropriate forum?:confused::confused:

If I posted in motors looking for fashion tips, my post would be moved. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,960 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Should it not have then been moved to a more appropriate forum?:confused::confused:

If I posted in motors looking for fashion tips, my post would be moved. :confused:
    Move to where? LTI, perhaps, but why rob AH of any decent thread that is in the place. AH is a general forum, not a feedbag for trolls.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

Bleeding Heart Forum FTW TBH..
    ETA: Poor form boyo's, poor form indeed.

Free Johnny and Cake!
    (not a profalactic or sexual innuendo!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

johnny_knoxvile,

I refer you to this
    AH charter wrote:
    Making the natives restless
    - This is a catch-all rule for general trolling, bitching and similar. Certain posters have an ability to piss off large quanties of regulars on here. If a moderator feels that said poster is doing this intentionally or is the cause of the mess, then the poster can and will be banned. If this poster was being goaded by others, then they'll be the ones getting banned. This rule will hopefully put an end to the bitching going on in here of late.

Your comment below, did not come across as a constructive argument to the thread.
    Some awsome marketing. Im going to sit down and watch it with a nice COKE da da da da da im loving it!

If you felt there was a topic discuss on Corporate America using sick kids as PR stunts, then you could have started your own thread e.g.
    Example thread opening post

After reading the thread on pixar, I wonder do these corporations really care or do they see this children as cheap and effective marketing PR.. [example] [example]. What are your opinions on this?

I see your point on the banning though but with AH, always view it as sitting in a bar having a pint after work. Sometimes your mates just don't want to talk about a subject and will tell you to shut up. AH is the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Apart from everyone getting a warning by rabies here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=60770961&postcount=7, you decided to troll that thread.

So what if you thought it was in after hours style! You were warned along with everyone else reading that thread and chose to ignore it.
    There is no double standards. There is however punishments for ignoring something that you were told not to do.
    So cop the fcuk on please!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Its pretty clear OP, an AH mod clearly warned posters not to do what you did. If you had issues with AH double standards etc, why didnt you PM the mods or start a Feedback thread instead of getting yourself banned? It certainly would have given you more credibility.

From reading Rabies posts it looks like the AH mods are taking a stricter line with threads like this in AH, and rightly so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

OP take a look at the number of times the OP of the Pixar thread was thanked. Use that as a yardstick to gauge the empathy felt by the forum users towards the unfortunate child and the support for the actions of Pixar in doing a decent human act. Now look at the number of times that Rabies warning against muppetry on that thread was thanked. Again a good indication that the regulars agreed that this was an exceptional thread.

You stepped out of line and got the ban that everyone else knew would happen.

Pay attention to Mods on thread directions in future and life will be much simpler for everybody.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

"If anyone throws in typical AH comments in to this thread I'll ban their ass."

thread should have been moved to the humanties forum or somewhere else then.
    i made this joke-
    pixar's new movie has just been announced, 'finding chemo'

and was banned for 10days. i think thats unfair. are people in the air france thread being banned now too?

"If anyone throws in typical AH comments in to this thread I'll ban their ass."

thread should have been moved to the humanties forum or somewhere else then.
    i made this joke-
    pixar's new movie has just been announced, 'finding chemo'

and was banned for 10days. i think thats unfair. are people in the air france thread being banned now too?
    You have said it all right there imo.
    You saw the warning, we all did and yet you chose to ignore it.

Tell me, what else did you expect?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

You seem to be unhappy with your 10 days. Looking for more maybe?

As was already mentioned but you seemed to miss, Air France was incorrectly modded; mods are now trying their best to not let the same mistakes happen; your ban (only 10 days) is part of making things better.

You have said it all right there imo.
    You saw the warning, we all did and yet you chose to ignore it.

Tell me, what else did you expect?

the warning was not valid. you cant tell people not to make 'after hours' comments in an 'after hours' thread. thats when a mod should move the thread somewhere else. i made a joke with a pun. i didnt say anything bad about the little girl. if mods werent doing their job right in the air france thread what punishment do they get?

Ponster wrote: »
    You seem to be unhappy with your 10 days. Looking for more maybe?

whats your motivation for making a comment like that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

the warning was not valid. you cant tell people not to make 'after hours' comments in an 'after hours' thread.
    Yes, Mods can.
    thats when a mod should move the thread somewhere else.
    AH isn't just the 'anything goes' people seem to think it is. Recently it's had a number of threads on serious issues that have gone well (On suicide, abortion etc.) Unfortunately, often, threads get ruined by certain people trying to drag them down.
    I didnt say anything bad about the little girl
    A warning was made at the start, the "joke" you hilariously made didn't add anything to the thread and was very insincere after the previous responses, the vast majority of people were moved by the story
    if mods werent doing their job right in the air france thread what punishment do they get?
    They've admitted themselves many times that that thread wasn't modded great.. we all make mistakes, get over it.

Just for the record - I'm not trying to backseat mod, but some of the comments and attitudes in that thread really irritated me, and I don't think the mods should be hounded for banning people who's common sense seems to go awry in AH

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement