Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AFTER HOURS DOUBLE STANDARDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

if mods werent doing their job right in the air france thread what punishment do they get?

We were all docked a week's wages.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

the warning was not valid. you cant tell people not to make 'after hours' comments in an 'after hours' thread. thats when a mod should move the thread somewhere else. i made a joke with a pun. i didnt say anything bad about the little girl. if mods werent doing their job right in the air france thread what punishment do they get?

The warning was indeed valid as it was made by one of the Moderators of After Hours.

It was clear as to what he wanted and that was no messing about or posting crap.
    Even I could see that and I am always punning.

The thread was fine where it was, no one objected to it, why would they?

AHs posters like a nice story too.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Jesus lads, we all make mistakes. Mods and non mods. We learn from our mistakes. The mistakes were not critical or worthy of calling of an independent enquiry to the actions of the mods. Instead, the mods listened to the Feedback and acted in a different manner when a similar thread appeared. This is what was drawn from previous complaints, so the mods improved, and yet you have people having a go because they changed? That just proves that mods do listen, and that we work on improving based on what our users tell us is wrong. If we didn't, we would have a repeat of complaints like we did with the other thread. Instead, we don't, we have users who have failed to learn from their mistakes.

Warnings were issued in the thread. Its obvious from the first post, and since it received the most thanks today, it was an emotional topic. Any type of trolling/pun comments would be out of order considering its sensitive nature. Even if you were blind to that, mods gave warning that the thread was to be granted "Serious" mode - ie no stupid posts, else, get lost. Folks ignored it and got banned.

So you made a mistake, like the AH mods did in the past. What are you going to do about it? Build a bridge, get over it and learn from your mistakes so you don't run down the same lane again and hit another brick wall throwing you further back in the direction you came from. Its time you learned from your mistakes like the AH mods did. If you show that, you wont have the same problems you have here today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

Sully wrote: »
    Jesus lads, we all make mistakes. Mods and non mods. We learn from our mistakes. The mistakes were not critical or worthy of calling of an independent enquiry to the actions of the mods. Instead, the mods listened to the Feedback and acted in a different manner when a similar thread appeared. This is what was drawn from previous complaints, so the mods improved, and yet you have people having a go because they changed? That just proves that mods do listen, and that we work on improving based on what our users tell us is wrong. If we didn't, we would have a repeat of complaints like we did with the other thread. Instead, we don't, we have users who have failed to learn from their mistakes.

Warnings were issued in the thread. Its obvious from the first post, and since it received the most thanks today, it was an emotional topic. Any type of trolling/pun comments would be out of order considering its sensitive nature. Even if you were blind to that, mods gave warning that the thread was to be granted "Serious" mode - ie no stupid posts, else, get lost. Folks ignored it and got banned.

So you made a mistake, like the AH mods did in the past. What are you going to do about it? Build a bridge, get over it and learn from your mistakes so you don't run down the same lane again and hit another brick wall throwing you further back in the direction you came from. Its time you learned from your mistakes like the AH mods did. If you show that, you wont have the same problems you have here today.
    if we made a mistake and get banned, and the mods made a mistake, what do the mods get?

brummytom wrote: »
    Yes, Mods can.

the "joke" you hilariously made didn't add anything to the thread

yes it did, it was funny. so what did u want, a thread where every single comment is "oh thats so sad, poor girl, pixar are awesome"?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

if we made a mistake and get banned, and the mods made a mistake, what do the mods get?

Depends entirely on the mistake. Bans aint issued at ease.

Iv seen mods who have made big mistakes get a serious talking to (its a little harder to use the ban approach, so a formal warning is a lot more serious for them then a forum ban). Sorry but I cant see how the mods dealt with the Air France thread being a big mistake - most people would have said "Ah sure, its AH - leave em be" as did the mods. It wasnt until after they realised people actually wanted it to be taken seriously. So, learning from that minor mistake, they moved onto applying the feedback on other threads.

Its a bit like if a user makes a cock up, they get a yellow card infraction, red card infraction of forum ban depending on the seriousness of the cock up. The process is repeated for each mistake you make after that and is usually more serious then the last as its being used to point "You aint learned the last time, so you can take a little longer to think about your mistake and hopefully come back a new character".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

johnny_knoxville, you can't complain about your ban because you did ignore Rabies' warning in Post #7. Personally, I didn't particularly agree with that warning (or the modding of that thread in general) but nonetheless it was there and you continued to ignore it.
    I think both yourself and handsomecake had valid points, but you didn;t put them across the right way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

I'd like to talk about the absurdity of this story gaining such coverage but which forum is appropriate ?

There's the secret funny forum where there's some comments might fit in , fair enough.
    Humanities isn't much more than a sort of dumpin' ground for stray threads that no one wants.
    After Hours has put the fut down (and I'm not complaining btw)
    Politics won't want to broach such a thorny issue I don't think.

I think it is ridiculous that some dying 10 yr old gets shown a DVD and then it's worldwide news and there's a kid dying every three seconds according to Bonio and they don't get DVDs.

johnny_knoxville, you can't complain about your ban because you did ignore Rabies' warning in Post #7. Personally, I didn't particularly agree with that warning (or the modding of that thread in general) but nonetheless it was there and you continued to ignore it.
    I think both yourself and handsomecake had valid points, but you didn;t put them across the right way.

I'd agree with this but I don't know if there's much point in putting any points that aren't "oh my god I'm crying this is so sad and heart warming".

It's grand that natives and mods there want to keep things away from "ah let the bitch rot" but there's a decent discussion to be had I think.

Alan Rouge wrote: »

It's grand that natives and mods there want to keep things away from "ah let the bitch rot"

what about 'finding chemo'?
    an animated story about a fish named mack(tom hanks) that is coming to terms with cancer and goes on a journey of self discovery. his father(robert de niro) goes looking for him but mack is looking for himself and will be found when he is ready. the main character keeps having flashbacks of his mother(voiced by susan sarandon) during her last few weeks before she died of cancer of the gills.

• Advertisement

Alan Rouge wrote: »

I think it is ridiculous that some dying 10 yr old gets shown a DVD and then it's worldwide news and there's a kid dying every three seconds according to Bonio and they don't get DVDs.

Hardly worldwide news, a nice thread and a nice response in AHs is a good thing, no?

People die every three seconds, not just children but the fact that one child in particular was granted a dying wish was applauded in AHs.
    There is nothing wrong with that.

The warning was given on the first page and ignored by the posters who got banned.

It is as simple as that.

Hardly worldwide news, a nice thread and a nice response in AHs is a good thing, no?

People die every three seconds, not just children but the fact that one child in particular was granted a dying wish was applauded in AHs.
    There is nothing wrong with that.

The warning was given on the first page and ignored by the posters who got banned.

It is as simple as that.

and in iran the protestors have been warned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

Can I firstly compliment the mods the way the handled that thread and rightly banned the offending individuals. There was warnings given and the way some people behaved on it was quite terrible. I would also like to point out that thanks to recent good moderating that the "yore ma" nuisance appears to have disappeared.

The mods accepted that other threads in question may not have been handled most appropriately but the way posters behaved in that thread totally contradicted themselves and proved themselves to be no better than those they were trying to ridicule. AH has been debated several times and while subjects discussed there are varied it also appears to be a dumping ground for trolling (I too was guilty in my time:o) but there is trolling and just plain bullying and the way I think the mods got treated was horrible and nobody has a right to say anything they wish on this site as it is a privately owned entity and as such libel and defamation laws apply. I often think that alot of users here must think this place is a public website and they can say whatever when the opposite is true. They can't have their cake and eat it as much as they'd like.

Mods, Smods, admins etc. keep up the good work and keep the keyboard warriors at bay!

wow, lame.

and in iran the protestors have been warned
    Seriously, you are doing yourself no favours with that reply.

EDIT:
    I have just seen your post above mine and you actually seem to be trolling this thread.

im simply stating that people in control cant change how the rules are played, on the fly.

EDIT:
    I have just seen your post above mine and you actually seem to be trolling this thread.

eh not really. just because i dont agree with you doesnt make me a troll.

im simply stating that people in control cant change how the rules are played, on the fly.

They can, because they are in charge of the Forum.
    Rabies didn't change any rules.

He simply gave a direction on how the thread should continue.

The few posters that ignored that were banned.

what about 'finding chemo'?
    an animated story about a fish named mack(tom hanks) that is coming to terms with cancer and goes on a journey of self discovery. his father(robert de niro) goes looking for him but mack is looking for himself and will be found when he is ready. the main character keeps having flashbacks of his mother(voiced by susan sarandon) during her last few weeks before she died of cancer of the gills.

I laughed at that one but it was the wrong place for it. Considering the firm warning from Rabies you'd have to be a fish to not know you'd get in trouble for it.

if you cant have a laugh in an after hours forum than whats the point. i cant be arsed going back there. too heavily modded, its like chinese myspace

• Advertisement

At last grasshopper, you have seen the error of your ways.
    I am done here.
    Go forth and keep going.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

I think having that thread there was asking for trouble, at the stage the thread was at the posters were probably just skimming over a lot of the posts or reading the OP and replying.

Im not saying thats any excuse but when it comes to the venue FFS Rabies what did you expect? A life is a life and I really cant see the difference in the much compared Air France thread. Actually I do see the difference, it was a much larger tragedy, obviously not on you guises heartstrings though.

And it was good in the runup to this, the jokes were original or well executed in other threads and yes, they remained somewhat offensive or downright outrageous for random things. A lot of posters is take the piss out of the subject on random threads.

But really, sort out a bleeding heart forum. Weve had Jade, that Irish model that nobody cared about till she died and now oh look theres controversy over some other dead person in AH of all places. Heartbreaking story and all but FFS, wrong forum.

Theres obviously demand for something like a Bleeding Heart Forum. Remember teh Jade Goody thread that was created to serve the one purpose of the users paying their respects? This is a similar thread... on AH, the banter place, the random place where the funnehs are created. It doesnt come across as the pay your respects to this random poor kid or GTFO places. But what do I know, **** changes right?

IMHO the thread did not belong there. Anyone who couldn't see the lulz brigade coming in to "lighten the mood" needs to wake up. Im not saying it was right, but it was coming.

IMHO the thread did not belong there. Anyone who couldn't see the lulz brigade coming in to "lighten the mood" needs to wake up. Im not saying it was right, but it was coming.

Rabies saw what might be described as "The lulz Brigade" and stepped in to stop such posts.

Can you not see that particular point?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

That particular point would be valid were it in a different forum. Rabies was obviously affected by the story and chose to moderate the thread heavily (with backup I assume, im not targeting you here Rabies). I am not suggesting that there was/is a better place for the thread, but anywhere other than AH probably would have been prudent given its track record.

I cant really say much other than my above rant given that there was an on thread warning, but the comparison to the comments in other/similar threads are still valid.

And I do understand the argument for the bannings and warnings. But FFS, even the man enjoyed rape thread is going PC. Of course people are going to take the piss there. What is AH if not controversial? Im ranting again aren't I?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

"If anyone throws in typical AH comments in to this thread I'll ban their ass."

thread should have been moved to the humanties forum or somewhere else then.
    i made this joke-
    pixar's new movie has just been announced, 'finding chemo'

and was banned for 10days. i think thats unfair. are people in the air france thread being banned now too?
    Unfair?
    No.You ignored the warning.
    the warning was not valid. you cant tell people not to make 'after hours' comments in an 'after hours' thread. thats when a mod should move the thread somewhere else. i made a joke with a pun. i didnt say anything bad about the little girl. if mods werent doing their job right in the air france thread what punishment do they get?
    No. People use AH as a general forum everything. Would you like us to move every recession thread to Politics or Economics? Regarding the Air France thread, I've already stated my take on that.
    javaboy wrote: »
    We were all docked a week's wages.
    I got a pay rise:/
    if you cant have a laugh in an after hours forum than whats the point. i cant be arsed going back there. too heavily modded, its like chinese myspace
    You ban is over in about a week. You're welcome back.
    That particular point would be valid were it in a different forum. Rabies was obviously affected by the story and chose to moderate the thread heavily (with backup I assume, im not targeting you here Rabies). I am not suggesting that there was/is a better place for the thread, but anywhere other than AH probably would have been prudent given its track record.

I cant really say much other than my above rant given that there was an on thread warning, but the comparison to the comments in other/similar threads are still valid.

And I do understand the argument for the bannings and warnings. But FFS, even the man enjoyed rape thread is going PC. Of course people are going to take the piss there. What is AH if not controversial? Im ranting again aren't I?
    I wasn't affected. It didn't generate any emotional response from me (I'm heartless), but it was a nice thing for Pixar to do. People have complained about the handling of certain AH threads. I move to the view of the masses and some shoot me down. Certain forums need a heavier hand to stop the crap, its needed at times.

I stand by my modding decision in that thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Just to add again.

If an AH mod isn't around (we do log off) when a topical thread is started it can get ruined from the get go. Then it is often too late to move or mod with out 'typical AH' comments.

I welcome proper discussion in AH. I'd prefer more of it than the current run of stuff at times.

Why can't normal discussions happen in AH. If they are forum specific and one of us catches it at the right time it will be moved, if its more general then it can stay. Everything in AH doesn't have to be childish and full of puns.

I wonder if removing 'thanks' would help :/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

This is possibly the most hysterically funny overreaction I've read so far this year.

The mods set the tone of the thread on the first page. If you're going to seagull in on the last page, having read nothing that went before, then you do run the risk of coming up against punitive action for throwaway comments.

After Hours was always the "down the pub" forum, from inception, designed to replicate the sort of conversations you'd have down the pub - in other words, sometimes serious, sometimes frivolous. (And sometime with frivolous comments among the serious ones, but the same way you should recognise the tone of a conversation with your mates in the pub, you should make some effort to recognise the tone of a thread before you share your input.)

• Registered Users Posts: 38,458 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

There are two feedback threads regarding comments made in the AH forum at this moment. I find it amazing that the reaction of admins is not the same in both, on one hand the guy deserves the action taken against him. On the other hand an admin starts taking the michael out of the guy who says that he was annoyed by comments as he has had to deal with autism in his own family.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭handsomecake

i got banned permanently.absolutely outrageous.im reading a margaret thatcher thread here and even the op wants her dead!! banned? no not at all and thread still open. i said i wanted the little girl dead( to prove a point)and i get banned. i have campaigned for more serious posting in after hours and was laughed out of help desk. i bumped the thread for those who want to read it.many posters agree with my actions in the thread and even another chap called "cashback " started a thread to show his discontent with my treatment. i take being banned on the chin but the mods got this one completely wrong and i could give examples of double standards all day.

that guys finding chemo pun was genius( although tasteless) and while i dont condone it, i take issue with why he was banned and why the air france,otto baxter,jade goody posters were not.

it appears to me that after hours is a bit of a clique with the same people thanking each other and entering into pun contests the whole time.non conformists get banned

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

non conformists get banned

Yes. That is exactly it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement