Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AFTER HOURS DOUBLE STANDARDS

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Hagar wrote: »
    There are no bad taste jokes in Lolocaust,

/unsubscribe :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭Fink Goddie

tbh wrote: »
    Ok, here's what I see. Moderation Directions in Red (my emphasis)

by the way, this is not an "opinion". This is an "instruction". Rabies also mods lolcaust, I can promise you there are waaaaay more bad-taste jokes than you'll see in AH. If you think that it's Rabies "Opinion" that bad-taste jokes should not be allowed anywhere on site, you're simply wrong.

J_K then said:

Now, as I see it, that's a direct contradiction to the moderator instruction. Maybe if JK hadn't been so glib, and said something like "You know, I'm worried that this is a deliberate stunt by pixar blah blah blah" he might not have been banned. Otherwise, his options were to start a new thread (maybe in AH, maybe in New and Media, maybe in Humanities) looking at the question seriously, or not say anything at all..

He, for whatever reason, didn't, he made a smart arsed comment in a thread where the mods specifically asked people not to make smart assed comments. He therefore got banned.

"Anyone who says Jehovah will be stoned"
    "Jehovah"
    /Stoning commences
    "why are they stoning me?"

Firstly its said if anyone throws in typical AH comments, this shows what is expected in AH, this is when the mod should have moved the thread somewhere more suitable.

Secondly, Terry didn’t say if anyone has a different opinion about Pixars gesture they will be banned!!!

Thirdly you’re saying if JK hadn’t been so Glib it would have been ok, so what your not allowed be sarcastic now. U have to make your point in a way that the moderators like or u get banned.

At the end of the day, he got banned for having a different opinion.
    U know I’m right

Firstly its said if anyone throws in typical AH comments, this shows what is expected in AH, this is when the mod should have moved the thread somewhere more suitable.

Secondly, Terry didn’t say if anyone has a different opinion about Pixars gesture they will be banned!!!

Thirdly you’re saying if JK hadn’t been so Glib it would have been ok, so what your not allowed be sarcastic now. U have to make your point in a way that the moderators like or u get banned.

At the end of the day, he got banned for having a different opinion.
    U know I’m right

I know you don't really understand what you're talking about in fairness. You're not allowed to be sarcastic in a thread where the mods state there are to be no sarcastic comments. Feel free to resign from boards in protest if you don't agree with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

U know I’m right

Yes. You are.

You have won. Nothing.

I know you don't really understand what you're talking about in fairness. You're not allowed to be sarcastic in a thread where the mods state there are to be no sarcastic comments. Feel free to resign from boards in protest if you don't agree with that.

Terry said there were to be no typical AH comments? So the topic is in AH yet typical AH comments are not allowed, how stupid is that.

He didnt elaborate on what a typical AH comment is, where does he state that sarcasm isnt allowed, i dont see that stated anywhere. go read the thread again and come back to me.:D

• Advertisement

Terry said there were to be no typical AH comments? So the topic is in AH yet typical AH comments are not allowed, how stupid is that.

He didnt elaborate on what a typical AH comment is, where does he state that sarcasm isnt allowed, i dont see that stated anywhere. go read the thread again and come back to me.:D

You're banned from Ah aren't you? :D

Yes. You are.

You have won. Nothing.

I've won the debate, it was easy though, the other side didnt have much of an argument. :D

You're banned from Ah aren't you? :D

Nope not anymore :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭johnny_knoxvile

So if I was banned for being "Glib" why did my ban say it was for "trolling"?

I made a point, maybe in a sarcastic manner. But I never made any comment about the child or slag anyone off.

I have never once seen any thread on AH stay on topic, what I had to say was related to the thread. I wasnt banned for my initial comment just several posts later when a small number got annoyed.

Handsomecake and steviecakes made points that a lot of people agreed with.

As it was said before, when a person came into the Air France thread and said they knew members of the family of one of the deceased and asked for the thread to be closed, a mod basically told them that this was to be expected in AH...

How do you explain that?

I made a point, maybe in a sarcastic manner. But I never made any comment about the child or slag anyone off.

I have never once seen any thread on AH stay on topic, what I had to say was related to the thread. I wasnt banned for my initial comment just several posts later when a small number got annoyed.

Handsomecake and steviecakes made points that a lot of people agreed with.

As it was said before, when a person came into the Air France thread and said they knew members of the family of one of the deceased and asked for the thread to be closed, a mod basically told them that this was to be expected in AH...

How do you explain that?

They cant. Quazzie gave up because he couldnt and i won the debate. The guy who slags off disabled girls, sharpshooter is that his name?? anyway he left too.
    TBH is trying but unsucessfully.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,636 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Me thinks...

600px-Circular_Intersection_sign_sv.png

Sorry now, but I don't think I said you were banned for being glib.

what was the point you made? All I saw was a smart arsed comment, written just after a mod said not to make smart arsed comments. What exactly is the confusion? that's a serious question btw, whatever about the way you tried to make, what exactly was the point you were trying to make? I presume that the whole exercise was a marketing thing on behalf of Pixar. Am I right?
    I have never once seen any thread on AH stay on topic,

you have now!

How do you explain that?

I don't have to explain that. All you need to know is that you were told, on thread, not to make any smart arsed comments. You made a smart arsed comment. You got banned. It's quite simple :)

They cant. Quazzie gave up because he couldnt and i won the debate. The guy who slags off disabled girls, sharpshooter is that his name?? anyway he left too.

If you're genuinely interested in the outcome of this issue, I'd suggest you don't post any more. You're not helping the OP.

Sorry now, but I don't think I said you were banned for being glib.

what was the point you made? All I saw was a smart arsed comment, written just after a mod said not to make smart arsed comments. What exactly is the confusion?

you have now!

I don't have to explain that. All you need to know is that you were told, on thread, not to make any smart arsed comments. You made a smart arsed comment. You got banned. It's quite simple :)

I said all he did was make an opinion, u said if he hadnt been so glib about it and if he hadnt have said it in such a way he wouldnt have got banned!!!
    Ha ha seriously you should give up now hahaha

u said if he hadnt been so glib about it and if he hadnt have said it in such a way he wouldnt have got banned!!!

Did I, yeah?
    Maybe if JK hadn't been so glib, and said something like "You know, I'm worried that this is a deliberate stunt by pixar blah blah blah" he might not have been banned.

not exactly the same thing, I think.

ha ha.:rolleyes:

If you're genuinely interested in the outcome of this issue, I'd suggest you don't post any more. You're not helping the OP.

I suggest you keep posting because you are helping the OP!!!
    Your lack of a decent argument is showing up the hypocracy of the moderation in AH!

Thanks by the way, you're doing a great job :D
    Keep it up champ

Did I, yeah?

not exactly the same thing, I think.

ha ha.:rolleyes:

Pretty much the same thing tho LOL

Pretty much the same thing tho LOL

cool, now you've established your debating skills, I think we're done :) good luck getting it overturned.

Does anyone have anything useful to add to this, erm, useful debate, or has it run its course?

cool, now you've established your debating skills, I think we're done :) good luck getting it overturned.

Ah uve given up too! why,because u know i'm right!

better luck next time. bye bye

• Advertisement

you said I got banned after I made a smart comment when the mod ask me not to? then why wasnt I banned straight away? I wasnt. I was banned later when I wasnt even trying to be "smart" as you put it, just trying to explain what I meant.

And from what I see judging on the Thanks dished out, more people in AH seem to agree with the points made by Steviecakes ect. on the double standards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Sharpshooter? Isn't he/she an AH mod as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

My name's not Terry :(
    Does anyone have anything useful to add to this, erm, useful debate, or has it run its course?

Done.

Rabies wrote: »
    My name's not Terry :(

Done.

You, Terry, Mr Bollocko, you were all the same in that thread as far as i'm concerned, only one that spoke any sense was Piste.

can the mods answer me this..

They held their hands up and said the made a mistake with Air France thread...grand

but there are people since I got banned making the same point I did none of them have been banned, have the mods changed their minds again like they did with the Air France thread?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

*steps in gingerly*

I expect a backlash from a number of people from looking at this thread, but it seems to me as both of you were in the wrong.

johnny, rabies made it quite clear as to what he expected from the thread, you made some comments that werent seen as 'serious' and banned a result. It may have taken a while for your ban to be enforced, but you didnt help the situation from what I see in your posts after the initial ones.

On the other hand, rabies you should always know that After Hours will never be a serious discussion forum, so it was relatively pointless to hand out such an instruction in the first place. The fact that he didnt mock the situation in the OP just means he gave his own personal opinion to it, and some people didnt like it. Simple as.

My Verdict: johnny shouldnt have gotten a straight ban, but PM'd a warning or something instead before things escalated a bit

EDIT: I dont intend in dragging myself into an argument here regarding my personal opinion on the matter, its just my 2 cents and if you dont like it, thats fine :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

a mod said not to make smart arsed comments. What exactly is the confusion?

i didnt see any mod say that.
    rabies said"If anyone throws in typical AH comments in to this thread I'll ban their ass"

whats a typical AH comment? if its 'typical' does that not mean it happens all the time?

thread should have been moved, the warning wasnt valid. it went against the forum charter, therefore it needed to be moved to another more appropriate forum.

i didnt see any mod say that.
    rabies said"If anyone throws in typical AH comments in to this thread I'll ban their ass"

whats a typical AH comment? if its 'typical' does that not mean it happens all the time?

thread should have been moved, the warning wasnt valid. it went against the forum charter, therefore it needed to be moved to another more appropriate forum.

you're here three months and you know better than the AH mods what AH is?

weird.

weird.

Its obvious he does, yeh!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

weird.

im sorry what is the point you are trying to make?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement