Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AFTER HOURS DOUBLE STANDARDS

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

I'm not answering any questions since Terry and the rest of the AH Mods refused to address my questions...

You can't give me answers since your not an AH and you already said you don't post in AH so whats the point?

I think I have my answers by their obvious inability to answer it!

you made a statement saying that comments like mine would get me banned from AH. I'd like you back that up, same way as I backed up my statements. This is nothing to do with the AH mods. Are you going to answer my question?

I'll finish my contribution to this thread by saying the original point again.
    You were asked not to make typical AH comments on the thread. You made a typical AH comment on the thread and you got banned. Good luck getting it overturned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

johnny_knoxvile if you have a serious complaint and can back it up with examples by linking to them then I suggest you start a thread in the helpdesk forum.

How very democratic

Boards.ie is not, has never been and will never be democratic, it's benevolent dictatorship.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Thaedydal wrote: »
    johnny_knoxvile if you have a serious complaint and can back it up with examples by linking to them then I suggest you start a thread in the helpdesk forum.

but i thought feedback was the wind-pissing forum?
    this thread has gone on for 15 pages now and this is the first post saying go to helpdesk or am i mistaken? wat the hell were all the other admins / mods doing in this thread then?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭johnny_knoxvile

tbh wrote: »
    you made a statement saying that comments like mine would get me banned from AH. I'd like you back that up, same way as I backed up my statements. This is nothing to do with the AH mods. Are you going to answer my question?

I'll finish my contribution to this thread by saying the original point again.
    You were asked not to make typical AH comments on the thread. You made a typical AH comment on the thread and you got banned. Good luck getting it overturned.

Yes you made a sarcastic comment that I should start a post-strike to make a point. I said comments like that could get you banned...like I was banned for a sarcastic comment about marketing.

I was asked not to make a typical comment...define typical comment in AH? I never said anything about the child, I was making an off the cuff remark about marketing.

My ban is now up, no luck needed.

My point of this thread is to point out the double standards.
    People have made similar comments in the same thread they have not been banned. Why? No one can answer that. There is obviously something wrong with the moderation when so many people got banned in the one thread.

I was told I was banned for my initial comment, which is funny because I wasnt warned or otherwise, just banned later after several other post, none of which were offensive but I was told I was "trolling"...trolling seems to be having a differing opinion from the moderators.

• Advertisement

Only at 6 pages for me, as for the other mods who didn't point this out,
    I know, it's shockin, seriously thier brain washing must be failing.
    Clearly there is a flaw in the indoctrination process or the new drugs aren't as good as the old drugs or they need longer in the 'facility' or have been left too long between 'treatments'.

/Address all the other mods in the forum
    "Hello, would you like to have a treatment?"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭johnny_knoxvile

Only at 6 pages for me, as for the other mods who didn't point this out,
    I know, it's shockin, seriously thier brain washing must be failing.
    Clearly there is a flaw in the indoctrination process or the new drugs aren't as good as the old drugs or they need longer in the 'facility' or have been left too long between 'treatments'.

/Address all the other mods in the forum
    "Hello, would you like to have a treatment?"

the way it looks in here you wont get an answer to your question.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Yes you made a sarcastic comment that I should start a post-strike to make a point. I said comments like that could get you banned...like I was banned for a sarcastic comment about marketing.

I was asked not to make a typical comment...define typical comment in AH? I never said anything about the child, I was making an off the cuff remark about marketing.

My ban is now up, no luck needed.

My point of this thread is to point out the double standards.
    People have made similar comments in the same thread they have not been banned. Why? No one can answer that. There is obviously something wrong with the moderation when so many people got banned in the one thread.

I was told I was banned for my initial comment, which is funny because I wasnt warned or otherwise, just banned later after several other post, none of which were offensive but I was told I was "trolling"...trolling seems to be having a differing opinion from the moderators.

the inconsistency's in moderating have been brought up every few weeks for the last 10 years or so.

Your not pointing out anything new and pointing it out isn't going to change the fact.

A huge amount of the forums are modded by complete and utter moron's AH has a particularly high % of them, you need to learn what moron mod's what forum and adjust your posts accordingly

going on a crusade in Feedback is not going to help.

the way it looks in here you wont get an answer to your question.

/watches the irony and reference WOoooooooooshing over johnny_knoxvile's head.

ntlbell wrote: »
    the inconsistency's in moderating have been brought up every few weeks for the last 10 years or so.

Your not pointing out anything new and pointing it out isn't going to change the fact.

A huge amount of the forums are modded by complete and utter moron's AH has a particularly high % of them, you need to learn what moron mod's what forum and adjust your posts accordingly

going on a crusade in Feedback is not going to help.

pretty much bang right there

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

I wasn't being sarcastic!

edit: my post in the mysterious thread sums up nicely how I feel about this thread as well:
    I'll say it again - if anyone can show me a valid example of any mod acting the mickey then I'll be at the head of the queue looking for the situation to be resolved. My history in feedback will stand for itself. My history in the mod forum will stand for itself.
    What I cannot abide are these whingers and moaners, that cannot even respect the most basic of rules that are adhered to by literally tens of thousands of other boards users, all the time, without complaint, and which make boards the success that it is.

Instead, you want to kick and stamp and throw your toys out of the pram and try and force everybody else to change to accommodate you, and you generally suck the good intentions and good feelings and general community spirit from everybody else.

The rules are what they are. The mods are who they are. Nobody is forcing you to read or post on boards. Therefore, you deal with it, or piss off somewhere else. It's a personal choice. None of us care which option you choose, so basically stfu and quit harshing my buzz.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Jazzy wrote: »
    ill jump to a conclusion now and say that the only reason she is a mod now is because shes popular.
    Do you have access to the Ah mod forum?
    The only way you could possibly know how she was chosen is if you have access there.

She was chosen because she's not a whiny troll, but is a good contributor to AH.

I can tell you now that I wasn't chosen because i was popular.
    It was actually punishment for me messing about too much.
    You see, I was banned a few times from Ah before I was asked to be a mod there.
    Every time I was banned, I changed the way I posted in order to suit the forum, rather than continuing to post in the same manner and trying to make the forum go the way I wanted it to go. I'm quite aware that the forum does not revolve around me. It revolves around what the majority of users want.

Sometimes they want a serious thread, but then some jackass comes in and starts trolling.
    Rabies made a pre-emptive strike in the Pixar thread. People ignored his warning and were banned as a result.

Making jokes about dying kids is not something we allow in AH.

what is that meant to mean in context to this thread? random spoutings about how im meant to take unfair decisions on the chin or something? in that case, who the f**k are you to be telling me that?
    As far as AH is concerned, I am your God.

On a serious note, the comment wasn't specifically directed at you.
    Jazzy wrote: »
    skynet by the balls...

thing is, there is no "mod conspiracy" as you put (using the most paranoid term there possible to describe what i was saying. nice), its just your basic gang. as terry said, this is "life" and as such gang type behaviour goes on from school all the way to the Dail and who says that boards is any different? mods do get chosen more or less based on popularity and who likes them rather then actual ability.. i dunno actually, terry said once that he wasnt here to make friends. so instead of giving it to ppl that are popular you are going to make ppl that actively seek control and authoritah the ability to mod? do u see wat could be wrong with this?
    your actually getting jerked in real life by an admin though so wat does it matter to you? as long as you go by that ever changing line and follow the trend then its a-ok.
    I also never said I actively sough to be a mod merely for the power.
    I was asked to be a mod and not the other way around.

Mods have limited power on this site anyway.
    We do have enough to take the piss out of those who choose to troll though.

not on this site.. as the recent leadership decisions have definitely shown
    Link?
    i could ask you why Kim Il-sung is still leader of north korea. i know thats a bit extreme but i could show many other examples. look at GM in america. bad management eventually caught up but everyone was fine with it for years
    Kim Jong il, but that's neither here nor there.

no mod here has the balls to admit that there was a cock up with the pixar thread. im sure it will effect how other similar threads are handled ie. moved to their relevant forums
    So we move the threads to the relevant forums so that you can't take the piss out of the subject matter?

Why should we have to do that?
    Are you incapable of self restraint when it comes to trolling?

no one pointed out any rules about making a sarcastic comment on marketing. I made a point, said nothing about the deceased child. I made a valid point. You lot keep telling me I was banned for my initial comment then why wasnt I banned straight away??? I WASN'T!!! I was banned later on for "Trolling", when I wasn't. I was explaining a valid point.

And why have people since who have made similar statement in the same thread not been banned?

it seems to me there are other Moderators who don't seem to agree with your stance on it and the Thanks seems to confirm a lot of the AH member don't agree with the way the moderators handled it.
    Let's review your posts in that thread (all made after the warning).
    Some awsome marketing. Im going to sit down and watch it with a nice COKE da da da da da im loving it!
    Typical AH comment.
    like newspapes wouldnt try capitalise on a missing Maddie or a dying Jade Goodie. Im not sure i have faith in corporate morals. But i hope you are right.
    Post title: Death Race 2009.
    Cynical comment on what was billed as a serious thread.
    again we would have hoped priests looking after innocent children would of been far from deviants, but hey. I wouldnt have much faith in corporate America.
    Now you're just acting the bollix. Post deleted.
    Me wrote:
    That has nothing to do with this thread.
    This was my last post in that thread. I had other stuff to do and haven't looked at it since.

Your reply:
    i was talking about what we expect from people and morals. What keeps to topic in After Hours Terry??
    I don't understand the question.
    as i said i hoped the poster was right when they said they didnt believe it was a publicity stunt. Its a tragic story no doubt.

They dont have to comment to get a story to spead. Internet, chat forums. I repeat i hope it isnt, i just said i dont have faith in corporate America.
    Again, a completely needless and cynical post in what was a happy thread.
    banned for my first post? Its After Hours.
    There has been jokes for weeks about the Air France crash, in which three children died, i didnt see anyone banned. I didnt see you call for anyone to banned either or tell anyone to "STFU" i will put it down to your emotional state after reading the story.
    Post deleted.
    It's After Hours? So that gives you the right to post whatever you want, does it?
    Wrong.
    I've no idea why you think you have the right to ignore warnings from mods and I don't know where you got that idea.
    i dont doubt its tragic.

Rather than remove my paranoid self or over sensitive people get upset, would it not be better to post the thread in a forum other than After Hours where you get a certain responce?
    No.
    The users of AH are capable of having a sensible discussion.
    We're not going to change things just because you want to take the piss.
    yep, where did i not accept others view? I didnt call for anyone to be banned, or tell anyone to STFU or otherwise.

I made a point and a few people got touchy. How is this anymore "heartfelt" than child abuse or plane cashes? All of which attracts off topic comment.
    Child abuse?
    People get banned for that crap all the time.
    The Air France crash has been dealt with.

By now you're really being an ass.
    you continue to drag thee thread off topic by being pedantic and being under the impression that AH should be moderated to suit you and only you.

This is when Dr. Bollocko bans you (after he deleted about 20 posts taking the thread off topic and quoting your posts).

Did you PM him?
    did you take it to the Help Desk?
    No. You came here and screamed DOUBLE STANDARDS!!!!!!!!111.

Your ban was deserved. Don't do it again. If you do, you will be banned again.

How very democratic
    You want democracy?
    How about I start a thread in Ah and ask users if they want you permanently banned?

I'm not going to do that because you'll get yourself permanently banned again without any help from anyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

Kim Il-sung might not be here but he certainly is there.

"So we move the threads to the relevant forums so that you can't take the piss out of the subject matter?

Are you incapable of self restraint when it comes to trolling?"

making a joke in AH is trolling??

again, what is a typical AH comment and should a typical AH comment not belong in AH? and if it shouldnt then its not AH, which would mean its a different forum. like humanities, the perfect forum for a 'tearjerker big corporation has a heart little girl dies of cancer' thread

Terry wrote: »
    The only way you could possibly know how she was chosen is if you have access there.

She was chosen because she's not a whiny troll, but is a good contributor to AH.

I can tell you now that I wasn't chosen because i was popular.
    It was actually punishment for me messing about too much.
    You see, I was banned a few times from Ah before I was asked to be a mod there.
    Every time I was banned, I changed the way I posted in order to suit the forum, rather than continuing to post in the same manner and trying to make the forum go the way I wanted it to go. I'm quite aware that the forum does not revolve around me. It revolves around what the majority of users want.

Sometimes they want a serious thread, but then some jackass comes in and starts trolling.
    Rabies made a pre-emptive strike in the Pixar thread. People ignored his warning and were banned as a result.

Making jokes about dying kids is not something we allow in AH.

As far as AH is concerned, I am your God.

On a serious note, the comment wasn't specifically directed at you.

I also never said I actively sough to be a mod merely for the power.
    I was asked to be a mod and not the other way around.

Mods have limited power on this site anyway.
    We do have enough to take the piss out of those who choose to troll though.

Link?

Kim Jong il, but that's neither here nor there.

So we move the threads to the relevant forums so that you can't take the piss out of the subject matter?

Are you incapable of self restraint when it comes to trolling?

Let's review your posts in that thread (all made after the warning).
    Typical AH comment.

Post title: Death Race 2009.
    Cynical comment on what was billed as a serious thread.

Now you're just acting the bollix. Post deleted.

This was my last post in that thread. I had other stuff to do and haven't looked at it since.

Your reply:

I don't understand the question.

Again, a completely needless and cynical post in what was a happy thread.

Post deleted.
    It's After Hours? So that gives you the right to post whatever you want, does it?
    Wrong.
    I've no idea why you think you have the right to ignore warnings from mods and I don't know where you got that idea.

No.
    The users of AH are capable of having a sensible discussion.
    We're not going to change things just because you want to take the piss.

Child abuse?
    People get banned for that crap all the time.
    The Air France crash has been dealt with.

By now you're really being an ass.
    you continue to drag thee thread off topic by being pedantic and being under the impression that AH should be moderated to suit you and only you.

This is when Dr. Bollocko bans you (after he deleted about 20 posts taking the thread off topic and quoting your posts).

Did you PM him?
    did you take it to the Help Desk?
    No. You came here and screamed DOUBLE STANDARDS!!!!!!!!111.

Your ban was deserved. Don't do it again. If you do, you will be banned again.

You want democracy?
    How about I start a thread in Ah and ask users if they want you permanently banned?

I'm not going to do that because you'll get yourself permanently banned again without any help from anyone else.
    how about someone starts a thread asking if its ok for mods to get drunk while modding?

tbh wrote: »
    is there a list of typical AH comments i can see so i know which comments not to make?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

how about someone starts a thread asking if its ok for mods to get drunk while modding?

What tiny little chance you had of being taken seriously in this thread was just lost with that comment methinks.

orestes wrote: »
    What tiny little chance you had of being taken seriously in this thread was just lost with that comment methinks.

not really. my points are still valid.

i just know of a mod that drinks and mods at the same time on occasion. i remember reading about him in a thread and read lots of posts confirming this and recently saw the same thing going on.

The validity of your points was debatable in the first place (the length of this thread would demonstrate that) and making personal remarks and trying to be a keyboard warrior aren't going to help your case much imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Boards.ie is not, has never been and will never be democratic, it's benevolent dictatorship.

Lol you forgot the other part of the script about him not being his post count :rolleyes:

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Lol you forgot the other part of the script about him not being his post count :rolleyes:

Damn they are right standards are dropping all over seems I need a 'treatment' too.

• Advertisement

i just know of a mod that drinks and mods at the same time on occasion. i remember reading about him in a thread and read lots of posts confirming this and recently saw the same thing going on.

You know a mod who does that really wow, cos I can name 10 off the top of my head me included. Pretty sure you would be hard pushed to find a single mod out of 400 who has not preformed a mod action while intoxicated.

The validity of your points was debatable in the first place (the length of this thread would demonstrate that) and making personal remarks and trying to be a keyboard warrior aren't going to help your case much imo.

debatable perhaps but you mods lost the debate.

keyboard warrior? i havent called anyone names or made any threats.
    i have no need for keyboard warrior-ness

debatable perhaps but you mods lost the debate.

I'm an AH mod now? It looks like I really did miss a memo, thanks for the heads up

I'm an AH mod now? It looks like I really did miss a memo, thanks for the heads up

i think you missed the part where i didnt say 'AH mods', i said 'mods'.

i think you missed the part where i didnt say 'AH mods', i said 'mods'.

Yes, but the fact that I mod phiosophy, D&D and Pro Wrestling is completely and utterly irrelevant here. The only mods recognised in the context of this thread are the AH mods. So either you have a gross misunderstanding of how this site works (likely) or were trying to be clever and failed (also likely). So, is it gonna be door number 1 or door number 2?

Terry wrote: »

ill play it simple and just go for a "cha' right" on this one

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭handsomecake

Yes, but the fact that I mod phiosophy, D&D and Pro Wrestling is completely and utterly irrelevant here. The only mods recognised in the context of this thread are the AH mods. So either you have a gross misunderstanding of how this site works (likely) or were trying to be clever and failed (also likely). So, is it gonna be door number 1 or door number 2?
    dont be so smart all the time man.the mods are clearly wrong here ,as a couple of people have highlighted. if it was only one bloke on a crusade it would be fair enough but more then one have complained. myself ,cashback,johnny knoxville,piste,jape,dr adams,kumate champion,fink goddie and those are all i can remember off the top of my head. there is a consensus that the mods got it wrong(again) and the number of threads in helpdesk/feedback are indicative of this.

the mods also continuously dodge answering questions and instead just question the integrity of the poster.
    i have my own opinions on this but it would be remiss of me to comment for fear of being sitebanned

dont be so smart all the time man.

Should I dumb myself down or something in order to understand this discussion?

are you not part of this debate? are you not a mod? put the 2 together, its really that simple.

• Advertisement

myself ,cashback,johnny knoxville,piste,jape,dr adams,kumate champion,fink goddie and those are all i can remember off the top of my head.

they seem to think its only 2.5 people. why?, i have no idea

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement