Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travelling to belfast from dublin

Options
  • 20-06-2009 2:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm not sure if I am posting this question in the correct forum, but I thought my question has a certain amount a political relation to it.

I am living in Dublin at the moment. I am due to travel up to ormeau rd, belfast in 2 weeks for a dental visit.

I plan to take the train to queens station and walk down ormeau rd.

I have heard alot of stories from "happenings" in the north, in particular around the belfast area.

Alot of people have also said that there is nothing to worry about; but these people are referring to Newry which is primarily a shopping town in which southerners travel to to get their shopping cheap. However, I am travelling up to belfast city itself.

I have heard that ormeau rd, in particular, has alot of trouble as it is the main rd into&out of belfast city centre.

Can anyone please advise me on whether to travel here in 2 weeks or whether to find somewhere else to go?

Cheers

Dan.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

You've literally nothing to worry about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'd say you have more chance of being mugged by a Duberlin skanger going to the station than getting shot/stabbed/pee'd on by a mad Loyalist.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Can'tseeme

As been said, you'll have nothing to worry about. I used to live on the Ormeau Rd, it's a pretty mixed area. Around the 12 July things have really settled down over the last cople of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

It's a mixed area, but if you're that worried about it, just get a taxi from the station to the dentist's. It'll only cost you a couple of quid and you can relax then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Iskenderun

Why on earth would anyone want to go to belfast for ANY reason.
    For dental treatment, take a trip to Prague and combine a few days away
    as well. Cost: probably cheaper in total than your dental costs + travel to NI.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Smcgie

Your living in the past my friend.. You have nothing to worry about. Honestly its all in your head. Enjoy your trip

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I was in Belfast earlier this week, showing some tourists around. We drove through several loyalist areas - union jacks, murals, the works - in two republic-registered cars, with no hint of hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

I read in a recent article that it's the UK's safest city (in terms of violent crime). Racist as some elements might be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭conchubhar1

nothing to worry about - as stated you have as much chance of trouble in dublin infact maybe more....

its quite a mixed city overall - large irish speaking quater also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭goldenbrown

dangerous part of the journey is around pearse station Dublin...just dont wear your celtic jersey and you should be ok, otherwise get a cab from train at belfast

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭conchubhar1

or your rangers jersey....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

oscarBravo wrote: »
    I was in Belfast earlier this week, showing some tourists around. We drove through several loyalist areas - union jacks, murals, the works - in two republic-registered cars, with no hint of hassle.

I drove along the Shankill Road in a Dublin reg car about 8 years ago and got stuck behind an Orange march. I was a bit anxious but they just smiled at me and I smiled back.

Now if it was a Polish reg...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

I was in Belfast on Saturday with a few people from Dublin, Cork and Kildare and we had a great time. You'll have nothing to worry about, Belfast has changed so much in the past ten years.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

You'll be lucky to come out of the place with your life, make sure you bring your flak jacket, walk in a zig-zag fashion to frustrate snipers and always stay low to the ground ensuring you have cover in sight. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭D-Boy

I was a bit like that as well but you couldnt find nicer more helpful people we got lost on way to train station and stopped this fella who drew a map and all,also asked this big gang of rough enough lookin lads and even they helped us without any hint of aggro.
    Saw an Orange parade there too was so mad seein it in real life!!

Advertisement