Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Smart] I just bought the 24Mb/s Home package. Question Inside

Options
  • 20-06-2009 2:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40

I just wanted to know how good it is. I have heard great comments and reviews but again I am curious for downloading games/movies/music how the line holds. What is the actual download speed you get; since I read that broadband suppliers don't give you the full whack I was curious as to how others found it?

Alex

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Full whack. Always. Hated the install, love the finished product.

I have nothing bad to say about them now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Smart unlike most (read all) other ISPs sync you at a higher speed to account for protocol overhead, hence if the line is capable of 24mbits* that is what you will get

MC

* Most unlikely unless you live inside the exchange, most you can hope for is really close to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Alex-Face

I do live right beside Lucan though, would that make any difference to my d/l rate or anything ? or is it negligible?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Smart unlike most (read all) other ISPs sync you at a higher speed to account for protocol overhead, hence if the line is capable of 24mbits* that is what you will get

Well that is typically true for most of their products, it isn't true for their 24mb/s product as 24 mb/s is the theoretical maximum for ADSL2+ and you can't sync any higher, so the 24 mb/s has to include overhead, so even if you have a perfect line and are right next to the exchange you won't get 24mb/s due to the overhead, but you would get close, so it isn't a big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

The Lucan exchange is near Woodies. (Esker Lane to be exact) - If your close to there you should be fine (Lucan Village would be grand) - if your out past finnstown or down near the train line - you might not get very much (assuming your not on the adamstown exchange).

• Advertisement

I live just 10 minutes from Woodies Across from Mount Andrew in Liffey Valley Park ! So i should get a great connection?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Alex-Face wrote: »
    I live just 10 minutes from Woodies Across from Mount Andrew in Liffey Valley Park ! So i should get a great connection?

10 minutes? walking driving running?:)

Yup - Your fairly close to the exchange there - I'd guess about 15Mbps (+/- a meg or two).

dub45 wrote: »
    10 minutes? walking driving running?:)

Well considering I mentioned I lived in Liffey Valley Park and Im asking those who know the area, I'd presume they would know how far away I am... and hold on, If I'm only getting 15Mbs why do they charge me for 80% extra bandwidth? Why not charge me the rate for 12 Mbs with 20% extra? Bit of a rip IMHO.

You'll only know exactly what youll get when you plug in the modem and get your line stats. If you only get 13-15Mb then just downgrade to the lower package - while if you get 17Mb+ you might want to keep it on the higher package.

My estimate above was made based on a friend of mine living about the same distance away (in a different estate) from the exchange measured with my fingers on google maps - so I imagine that there is a reasonable margin of error :)

BTW - all DSL is sold as an 'up to' figure - as the exact line quality is not a known variable before you order and the speed available changes with the quality and length of the line.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭_Sidhe_

Basically OP, your expected speed is shown on the bellow graph.

internode-adsl2-distance1.jpg

Advertisement