Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

thatcher

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭whatduck

poindexter wrote: »
    what will you do the day she pops it??

I'll probably just you know carry on with my life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

still in hospital. hope whatever time you have left hurts like hell you b!tch, coz thats' where you'll be going.

what will you do the day she pops it?? soon as i hear, am outta work and off to the pub to celebrate. sooner the better
    Not very nice is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

Who?
    Bond-007 wrote: »
    Not very nice is it?

Hi, this is After Hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭well horse

Margaret Thatcher is generally considered to have been on of the greatest British Prime Ministers of the last 100 years. She did what needed to be done at the time to fix Britain's economy. I'm sure that's no consolation to the people who ended up unemployed but as a community Britain needed her to set things right.

And I'm Irish btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

Margaret Thatcher the greatest political leader of the late 20th century in Europe, alongside Ronald Reagan she is a legend and had the world followed their examples more we might not be in the current mess we are in now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

well horse wrote: »
    Margaret Thatcher is generally considered to have been on of the greatest British Prime Ministers of the last 100 years. She did what needed to be done at the time to fix Britain's economy. I'm sure that's no consolation to the people who ended up unemployed but as a community Britain needed her to set things right.

And I'm Irish btw.

She absolutely wrecked Britain, turn her national assets into the hands of private companies and destroyed working-class spirit. Poll tax anyone? If it hadn't of been for the Argies invading the Falklands, she wouldn't have been in power for as long as she was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Captain-America

still in hospital. hope whatever time you have left hurts like hell you b!tch, coz thats' where you'll be going.

what will you do the day she pops it?? soon as i hear, am outta work and off to the pub to celebrate. sooner the better

Cheer up buttercup. The sun is shining.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭poindexter

the area i grew up in was left in tatters, aswell as that family members who for years worked in the shipyards which were destroyed by her.

hope it hurts maggie, hurts like hell

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

although if we'd followed reagan's example we'd have blown our money on psychic hotlines instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭builttospill

You sound to me like a guy that wears an Anarchy in the UK t-shirt having never listened to the sex pistols who attends those reclaim the streets rallies just so you can punch parked cars.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

the area i grew up in was left in tatters, aswell as that family members who for years worked in the shipyards which were destroyed by her.

then why didn't you move?

netwhizkid wrote: »
    Margaret Thatcher the greatest political leader of the late 20th century in Europe, alongside Ronald Reagan she is a legend and had the world followed their examples more we might not be in the current mess we are in now.
    Ireland neeeds someone like her to get the country back on its feet.

then why didn't you move?
    i was 5 when she came to power, maybe that had something to do with it. meant my Da having to work away from home as there was little or no options left in the west of Scotland.

the bitch also took our free milk in primary school:mad::o.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

'Here's Maggie Thatcher, throw her up 'n' catcher. Squish squash, squish squash and there's Maggie Thatcher'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

That bitterness will eat you right up...
    Get out and enjoy life.....and don't vote for anyone like her in future....:)

That bitterness will eat you right up...
    Get out and enjoy life.....and don't vote for anyone like her in future....:)
    cheers uncle tom. i'm actually a fairly down to earth easy going guy, just hearing she's in hospital and the reality that she doesnt' have long to go makes me smile. she helped to devastate the communities of myself, family and friends. i came out of it eventually but some of that pain is still there and places have never recovered. like i say, i hope she is hurting, real bad.

If she was so bad, why was she in power for 11 years and won 3 elections? She must have been doing something right?

If she was so bad, why was she in power for 11 years and won 3 elections? She must have been doing something right?
    so must fianna fail, george dubya, castro, chavez, mugabi etc etc etc

they all do good in someone's eyes, and not so good in anothers. in my eyes, she was no good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

She wasn't the worse leader that was Prime Minister. She has her weakness and her strengths as leader.
    I'm won't be doing anything different than I normally do.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Elvis said it best
    Well I hope I don't die too soon
    I pray the Lord my soul to save
    Oh I'll be a good boy, I'm trying so hard to behave
    Because there's one thing I know, I'd like to live
    long enough to savour
    That's when they finally put you in the ground
    I'll stand on your grave and tramp the dirt down

There's a great program on BBC Radio if anyone is interested in the music that was inspired by her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

I hardly think an update of her status deserves time on sky news. It was even in the 'breaking news' scrolling banner along the bottom ffs

I guess the segment on the 'flush puppy' was hardly news either

i was 5 when she came to power, maybe that had something to do with it. meant my Da having to work away from home as there was little or no options left in the west of Scotland.

the bitch also took our free milk in primary school:mad::o.

How old were you in 1971 ??? I was 10!

It was actually the labour government in 1968 that started the process. ;)

Ireland neeeds someone like her to get the country back on its feet.

**** right off, are you completely mad? It's exactly the kind of economics that Margaret Thatcher preached that got us into this ungodly mess.

If it hadn't of been for the Falklands war she wouldn't have gotten through, also PR system in Britain is pants.

CCCP^ wrote: »
    If it hadn't of been for the Falklands war she wouldn't have gotten through, also PR system in Britain is pants.
    It's "first past the post" there.

It's "first past the post" there.

Ack, that's right, sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

thought all this anti British inferiority complex rubbish had died out with birth of the Celtic Tiger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Clown Shoes

The song by Morrissey, oh when will you die.

She was a leader, no doubt about that. Did she and her government improve the lives of the british public while she was in power, probably not.

Did she improve the well being of a select few areas and individuals? most definitely.

How did she stay in power? The malvinas set her up in 83, gerrymandering did the rest in 87.

Did she abuse her power to break up certain groups not aligned with Conservative thinking? Yes, as the unions and coal miners found out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

CCCP^ wrote: »
    She absolutely wrecked Britain, turn her national assets into the hands of private companies and destroyed working-class spirit. Poll tax anyone? If it hadn't of been for the Argies invading the Falklands, she wouldn't have been in power for as long as she was.

I dont recall many of those national assets being much of an asset back then tbh. Union run feifdoms for the most part. The likes of Red Robbo/Scargill of course were her best ally so stupid were they.

Churchill was the greatest PM of the 20th century of course.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭Turd Ferguson

Her condition has absolutely no effect on me whatsoever. I just though I'd let you know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

netwhizkid wrote: »
    GTFO. Both of them. c***s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Dad's says we're having a party when she does. Looks like I'll be buying plastic cups/paper plates soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

A spoken word poem by Christy Moore.

Personally, for me....
    When I think of Thatcher I think of:

Striking miners
    Starving families
    Mass unemployment
    The push for privitisation
    The repression of a community here
    10 dead men and a political nightmare
    General Pinochet,and the "Chieftan Tanks" that helped destroy Chile
    The Falklands
    Ronald Regan and American imperialism
    Poll tax, and the riots that followed
    The "There is no we" attitude
    Friedman and the ugliest form of capitalism you can imagine.

You'd need to talk to people in Chile, Derry, Argentina, Wales and Belfast about Margaret Thatcher, and I'm sure they all feel the same. For me, its Jelly and Ice-cream when Thatcher dies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

I wont rejoice when she finally shuffles off. She is an old woman afflicted by Alzheimer's. I certainly wont shed any tears either.

She was, IMO, a disaster for the UK. The social housing stock began its rapid decline under her leadership meaning families now put up in B and B's.

Who voted for her?

The same flag waving little Britainers, who thought she was great, when she allowed them to buy shares in things the country already owned, and are the ones now wringing their hands, because Germans own the electric, the French own the Nuclear Power stations, the Indians own the Steel industry.

She maintained the miserable status quo in the North of Ireland for 11 years. She made the rich richer and the poor poorer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Get well soon Maggie. Then come over here and fix our country.

obl wrote: »

By doing what exactly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Pop's Diner

How come it's not ok to make insensitive posts about a sweet little girl dying of cancer whose final wish was merely to see a pixar movie, but on the other hand it's fine to take the 'p' out of a dying woman who privatised her country putting 3,000,000 on the dole, introduced the dreaded poll tax and helped perpetuate a general mood of global terror along for a decade with her boyfriend Ronnie Reagan?

I don't get it! Double standards on AH!!!! :(

By doing what exactly?

Anything she does would be better than what corrupt politicians here have done!

Turning a blind eye when it suited, running the country on hot air rather than any real economic basis etc thatcher wouldn't have done those things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

thought all this anti British inferiority complex rubbish had died out with birth of the Celtic Tiger
    How is it anti British inferiority complex? It's dislike of a reprehensible individual, the fact she's British is irrelevant.
    Margaret Thatcher was mates with, and an apologist for, this man: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Augusto_Pinochet

Therefore, fuk Thatcher.

Oh and anyone who sings her praises - how attention-seeking interesting of you to go against the grain like that... ;)
    And yes, the fact you're Irish makes a difference - how betrayed would nationalists in the North feel... But going all Conor Cruise O'Brien seems to have been "in" in Ireland for quite a while now.

I appreciate Thatcher had the kind of economic vision, elements of which might help Ireland get out of its current bind, but seriously, you know she's a ****... pretending otherwise might be all controversial and different of you but it doesn't take away from that fact. ;)
    As if she would, plus she's about a million years old. And she hasn't exactly made a secret of the fact that she has little time for the Irish (a racist into the mix) - so what exactly is the point of your comment? Just saying it for the sake of it?

• Advertisement

How come it's not ok to make insensitive posts about a sweet little girl dying of cancer whose final wish was merely to see a pixar movie, but on the other hand it's fine to take the 'p' out of a dying woman who privatised her country putting 3,000,000 on the dole, introduced the dreaded poll tax and helped perpetuate a general mood of global terror along for a decade with her boyfriend Ronnie Reagan?

I don't get it! Double standards on AH!!!! :(

Maybe because one is an innocent girl afflicted with a horrible condition that will kill her before her time and the other IS a horrible disease that ruined her country. Horrid wench.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭markok84

Then come over here and fix our country.

She had plans for this country, she wanted to 'straighten' the border between north and south and wanted all nationalists to move south, with that type of attitude she would be in good company with Hitler. The british government have been planning a state funeral for her aswell of outrageous expense.

I detest the bitch, but at the same time, I won't exactly be rejoicing when she dies or wishing terrible pain on her - that's just stooping to her level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Dudess wrote: »
    As if she would, plus she's about a million years old. And she hasn't exactly made a secret of the fact that she has little time for the Irish (a racist into the mix) - so what exactly is the point of your comment? Just saying it for the sake of it?

hahaha

I detest the bitch, but at the same time, I won't exactly be rejoicing when she dies or wishing terrible pain on her - that's just stooping to her level.

Yeah, you know, I'd have to agree there, but that woman stirs up some deep feelings of anger inside alot of people. The really sickening thing is she got away with so much for so long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭well horse

How is it anti British inferiority complex? It's dislike of a reprehensible individual, the fact she's British is irrelevant.
    Margaret Thatcher was mates with, and an apologist for, this man: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Augusto_Pinochet

Therefore, fuk Thatcher.

Oh and anyone who sings her praises - how attention-seeking interesting of you to go against the grain like that... ;)
    And yes, the fact you're Irish makes a difference - how betrayed would nationalists in the North feel... But going all Conor Cruise O'Brien seems to have been "in" in Ireland for quite a while now.

I appreciate Thatcher had the kind of economic vision, elements of which might help Ireland get out of its current bind, but seriously, you know she's a ****... pretending otherwise might be all controversial and different of you but it doesn't take away from that fact. ;)

Was Britain fcuked in the 1970's with rampant level's of National Debt and inflation? Yes.
    Were the Labour government at the time willing or able to do anything to change the situation? No.
    Did she fix the situation through sticking to her descisions steadfastly? Yes.

A example of a good political leader. And I'm not just saying that to "go against the grain" or "be different". She never pretended to people that she was trying to make them all happy nor promised the electorate that full employment was a realistic goal.

Fine, but I'm referring to people making the "Maggie, you're a legend" comments, not those who believe her policies were beneficial for Britain (some of them were, I agree) - she was friends with one of the most brutal dictators of recent times... and she was anti Irish so LOL at Irish people giving her the thumbs up. It kinda reminds me a bit of "Uncle Tom-ism".

Anything she does would be better than what corrupt politicians here have done!

Turning a blind eye when it suited, running the country on hot air rather than any real economic basis etc thatcher wouldn't have done those things.

And she wasn´t corrupt?

The right to buy your council house was basically a vote rigging exercise. Putting 3,000,000 people out of work makes no economic sense, particularly as you have to pay them social welfare! Selling off nationalised industries and essential services didn´t improve them. Raising interest rates to a level where good business´s couldn´t afford to borrow (constriction policy) so only the most efficient survive was a horrible experiment.

A tw4t like her would have out of the eurozone in a flash, waving the flag like North Korean lemmings, creating a fabric where only the fittest prosper.

I can´t wait for the likes of George Lee to sit in the hot seat here. All that talk will quickly come back to haunt him and his new friends. The pitch forks and lit torches are moving closer...

Anti-british?

I'm English; and believe me - half this country will seriously be celebrating when she kicks the bucket. She destroyed and ripped apart whole towns and communites with rich mining traditions. She served the rich and did f*ck all for the rest of the country.

Obviously I'm too young to understand (just thought I'd mention my young age before anyone else does) though I have a keen interest in politics and my dad taught politics - I've read/watched much about this 'woman'
    Vested Interest: My gran, from Cork, lost her job over here when Maggie decided an Irish teaching qualification wasn't sufficient to teach little english kiddies. Just one example of her anti-Irish bigotry.

/rant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

It's a pity the provos didn't have the right room number back in '84...

Anti-British? Sue me.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement