Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

thatcher

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

netwhizkid wrote: »
    Margaret Thatcher the greatest political leader of the late 20th century in Europe, alongside Ronald Reagan she is a legend and had the world followed their examples more we might not be in the current mess we are in now.
    GTFO. Both of them. c***s.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

poindexter wrote: »
    what will you do the day she pops it?? soon as i hear, am outta work and off to the pub to celebrate. sooner the better

Dad's says we're having a party when she does. Looks like I'll be buying plastic cups/paper plates soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

A spoken word poem by Christy Moore.

Personally, for me....
    When I think of Thatcher I think of:

Striking miners
    Starving families
    Mass unemployment
    The push for privitisation
    The repression of a community here
    10 dead men and a political nightmare
    General Pinochet,and the "Chieftan Tanks" that helped destroy Chile
    The Falklands
    Ronald Regan and American imperialism
    Poll tax, and the riots that followed
    The "There is no we" attitude
    Friedman and the ugliest form of capitalism you can imagine.

You'd need to talk to people in Chile, Derry, Argentina, Wales and Belfast about Margaret Thatcher, and I'm sure they all feel the same. For me, its Jelly and Ice-cream when Thatcher dies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

I wont rejoice when she finally shuffles off. She is an old woman afflicted by Alzheimer's. I certainly wont shed any tears either.

She was, IMO, a disaster for the UK. The social housing stock began its rapid decline under her leadership meaning families now put up in B and B's.

Who voted for her?

The same flag waving little Britainers, who thought she was great, when she allowed them to buy shares in things the country already owned, and are the ones now wringing their hands, because Germans own the electric, the French own the Nuclear Power stations, the Indians own the Steel industry.

She maintained the miserable status quo in the North of Ireland for 11 years. She made the rich richer and the poor poorer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Get well soon Maggie. Then come over here and fix our country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Clown Shoes

obl wrote: »

By doing what exactly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Pop's Diner

How come it's not ok to make insensitive posts about a sweet little girl dying of cancer whose final wish was merely to see a pixar movie, but on the other hand it's fine to take the 'p' out of a dying woman who privatised her country putting 3,000,000 on the dole, introduced the dreaded poll tax and helped perpetuate a general mood of global terror along for a decade with her boyfriend Ronnie Reagan?

I don't get it! Double standards on AH!!!! :(

By doing what exactly?

Anything she does would be better than what corrupt politicians here have done!

Turning a blind eye when it suited, running the country on hot air rather than any real economic basis etc thatcher wouldn't have done those things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

thought all this anti British inferiority complex rubbish had died out with birth of the Celtic Tiger
    How is it anti British inferiority complex? It's dislike of a reprehensible individual, the fact she's British is irrelevant.
    Margaret Thatcher was mates with, and an apologist for, this man: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Augusto_Pinochet

Therefore, fuk Thatcher.

Oh and anyone who sings her praises - how attention-seeking interesting of you to go against the grain like that... ;)
    And yes, the fact you're Irish makes a difference - how betrayed would nationalists in the North feel... But going all Conor Cruise O'Brien seems to have been "in" in Ireland for quite a while now.

I appreciate Thatcher had the kind of economic vision, elements of which might help Ireland get out of its current bind, but seriously, you know she's a ****... pretending otherwise might be all controversial and different of you but it doesn't take away from that fact. ;)
    As if she would, plus she's about a million years old. And she hasn't exactly made a secret of the fact that she has little time for the Irish (a racist into the mix) - so what exactly is the point of your comment? Just saying it for the sake of it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

How come it's not ok to make insensitive posts about a sweet little girl dying of cancer whose final wish was merely to see a pixar movie, but on the other hand it's fine to take the 'p' out of a dying woman who privatised her country putting 3,000,000 on the dole, introduced the dreaded poll tax and helped perpetuate a general mood of global terror along for a decade with her boyfriend Ronnie Reagan?

I don't get it! Double standards on AH!!!! :(

Maybe because one is an innocent girl afflicted with a horrible condition that will kill her before her time and the other IS a horrible disease that ruined her country. Horrid wench.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭markok84

Then come over here and fix our country.

She had plans for this country, she wanted to 'straighten' the border between north and south and wanted all nationalists to move south, with that type of attitude she would be in good company with Hitler. The british government have been planning a state funeral for her aswell of outrageous expense.

I detest the bitch, but at the same time, I won't exactly be rejoicing when she dies or wishing terrible pain on her - that's just stooping to her level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Dudess wrote: »
    As if she would, plus she's about a million years old. And she hasn't exactly made a secret of the fact that she has little time for the Irish (a racist into the mix) - so what exactly is the point of your comment? Just saying it for the sake of it?

hahaha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

I detest the bitch, but at the same time, I won't exactly be rejoicing when she dies or wishing terrible pain on her - that's just stooping to her level.

Yeah, you know, I'd have to agree there, but that woman stirs up some deep feelings of anger inside alot of people. The really sickening thing is she got away with so much for so long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭well horse

How is it anti British inferiority complex? It's dislike of a reprehensible individual, the fact she's British is irrelevant.
    Margaret Thatcher was mates with, and an apologist for, this man: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Augusto_Pinochet

Therefore, fuk Thatcher.

Oh and anyone who sings her praises - how attention-seeking interesting of you to go against the grain like that... ;)
    And yes, the fact you're Irish makes a difference - how betrayed would nationalists in the North feel... But going all Conor Cruise O'Brien seems to have been "in" in Ireland for quite a while now.

I appreciate Thatcher had the kind of economic vision, elements of which might help Ireland get out of its current bind, but seriously, you know she's a ****... pretending otherwise might be all controversial and different of you but it doesn't take away from that fact. ;)

Was Britain fcuked in the 1970's with rampant level's of National Debt and inflation? Yes.
    Were the Labour government at the time willing or able to do anything to change the situation? No.
    Did she fix the situation through sticking to her descisions steadfastly? Yes.

A example of a good political leader. And I'm not just saying that to "go against the grain" or "be different". She never pretended to people that she was trying to make them all happy nor promised the electorate that full employment was a realistic goal.

Fine, but I'm referring to people making the "Maggie, you're a legend" comments, not those who believe her policies were beneficial for Britain (some of them were, I agree) - she was friends with one of the most brutal dictators of recent times... and she was anti Irish so LOL at Irish people giving her the thumbs up. It kinda reminds me a bit of "Uncle Tom-ism".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Clown Shoes

Anything she does would be better than what corrupt politicians here have done!

Turning a blind eye when it suited, running the country on hot air rather than any real economic basis etc thatcher wouldn't have done those things.

And she wasn´t corrupt?

The right to buy your council house was basically a vote rigging exercise. Putting 3,000,000 people out of work makes no economic sense, particularly as you have to pay them social welfare! Selling off nationalised industries and essential services didn´t improve them. Raising interest rates to a level where good business´s couldn´t afford to borrow (constriction policy) so only the most efficient survive was a horrible experiment.

A tw4t like her would have out of the eurozone in a flash, waving the flag like North Korean lemmings, creating a fabric where only the fittest prosper.

I can´t wait for the likes of George Lee to sit in the hot seat here. All that talk will quickly come back to haunt him and his new friends. The pitch forks and lit torches are moving closer...

thought all this anti British inferiority complex rubbish had died out with birth of the Celtic Tiger

Anti-british?

I'm English; and believe me - half this country will seriously be celebrating when she kicks the bucket. She destroyed and ripped apart whole towns and communites with rich mining traditions. She served the rich and did f*ck all for the rest of the country.

Obviously I'm too young to understand (just thought I'd mention my young age before anyone else does) though I have a keen interest in politics and my dad taught politics - I've read/watched much about this 'woman'
    Vested Interest: My gran, from Cork, lost her job over here when Maggie decided an Irish teaching qualification wasn't sufficient to teach little english kiddies. Just one example of her anti-Irish bigotry.

/rant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

It's a pity the provos didn't have the right room number back in '84...

Anti-British? Sue me.

• Advertisement

Wertz wrote: »
    It's a pity the provos didn't have the right room number back in '84...

Anti-British? Sue me.

As much as I dislike Thatcher I'd have been happier had the IRA blown themselves up that night.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Scrambled egg

Apparently they have to stick a pin in her arm, they should stick it through her heart, if she had one. :p

And she wasn´t corrupt?

The right to buy your council house was basically a vote rigging exercise. Putting 3,000,000 people out of work makes no economic sense, particularly as you have to pay them social welfare! Selling off nationalised industries and essential services didn´t improve them. Raising interest rates to a level where good business´s couldn´t afford to borrow (constriction policy) so only the most efficient survive was a horrible experiment.

A tw4t like her would have out of the eurozone in a flash, waving the flag like North Korean lemmings, creating a fabric where only the fittest prosper.

Well don't forget that she made no secret of what she planned to do if elected! and elected she was.

Do you mean morally corrupt!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Maybe Enda Kenny can be our Thatcher.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

As much as I dislike Thatcher I'd have been happier had the IRA blown themselves up that night.

It did end up being a kind of "shooting themselves in the foot" exercise in that her walking away and doing early morning press meetings worked in her favour and against theirs...the parties rallied around and attitudes hardened in a lot of circles toward Irish nationalism...it could on the other hand be argued that this was the main precursor to secret talks ahead of the Anglo-Irish agreement.
    Maybe her living that night served more purpose than her getting stiffed would have...doesn't change my sentiment though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

netwhizkid wrote: »
    Margaret Thatcher the greatest political leader of the late 20th century in Europe, alongside Ronald Reagan she is a legend and had the world followed their examples more we might not be in the current mess we are in now.

she is an oul pox that wanted to send the gurka's into the north, i hope she rots

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭97i9y3941

well,the day she dies,i think she be always looked in negative light here for letting the hunger strikers die,also she looked after the chilean dicatator pinochet when he came to england in the late 90s,which outraged some countries...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

poindexter wrote: »
    cheers uncle tom. i'm actually a fairly down to earth easy going guy, just hearing she's in hospital and the reality that she doesnt' have long to go makes me smile. she helped to devastate the communities of myself, family and friends. i came out of it eventually but some of that pain is still there and places have never recovered. like i say, i hope she is hurting, real bad.

I'd say you are a real "go ahead" type of guy poiny.

yeah, real go ahead, get out and do it for yourself kind of fella.

What do they say in the jobs ads? "Selfstarter! that's what you are.

Get out and enjoy life son, before the bitterness sucks you dry from the inside.:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Fred83 wrote: »
    well,the day she dies,i think she be always looked in negative light here for letting the hunger strikers die,also she looked after the chilean dicatator pinochet when he came to england in the late 90s,which outraged some countries...

Hmm, i think it was revealed that it was a Provisional decision to 'let them die'
    Apparently the got most of their demands but their leaders preferred to have a few martyrs.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Aside, surprisingly she was quite attractive when she was younger. Her legacy should be a warning to rest of us of what a lack of sleep and an evil heart will do to your appearance.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/06/06/article-1024549-01807F5C00000578-141_306x404.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement