Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random text message from number possible scammer

Options
  • 20-06-2009 4:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭

Anyway to report this to the phone company?

It is an 086 number. Message reads:
    Can You Call Me Please?
    numberTo call me now, press the Send/Call
    button.
    Thank You!

That includes the line breaks and the mistake of the number being connected to the word To in the message which makes it seem like it is automated.

Not sure if it is okay to post the actual number. Just wondering if anyone else has gotten this crap too.

I googled the number and it comes back with sales on buy and sell that have been removed but are available in google cache for Lamborghini car parts that will fit any car with bolts from some guy in Cork.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Harpie

thebman wrote: »
    Anyway to report this to the phone company?

It is an 086 number. Message reads:

That includes the line breaks and the mistake of the number being connected to the word To in the message which makes it seem like it is automated.

Not sure if it is okay to post the actual number. Just wondering if anyone else has gotten this crap too.

I googled the number and it comes back with sales on buy and sell that have been removed but are available in google cache for Lamborghini car parts that will fit any car with bolts from some guy in Cork.

Just looks like a normal call me tbh, maybe sent to you by accident.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

why dont you call it off a payphone. Make sure its not a scam

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

It sounds odd to be. I mean, if it was a legitmate text sent to the wrong number, why does it include instructions and then "Thank you!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Well it looks like a template to me and it includes a phone number to call so they know I don't have their number but there is no sign off as to who it is.

If the person is in Cork then I don't know them as I know very few people from Cork and am never in Cork.

It could be an out of credit thing sent to my phone from a guy by accident I guess. I would of thought someone would be able to tell me what they look like a I never have received one of those before.

I'll just ignore it since I don't know the number. I can't believe someone would write a message like that, it has to be a system.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Just sent myself a call me to check, it is definitely the standard o2 call me template. Don't worry, it was just a wrong number.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

It's the standard 'call me' text that o2 PAYG customers can send if they're out of credit. They must have sent it to the wrong number.

Advertisement