Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I need a hero...

• 20-06-2009 5:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭

..he’s gotta be strong, and he’s gotta be fast
    and he’s gotta be at his desk before 9...

Who's your work hero?

Mine would have to be Dangerous Dave.
    Somebody at work was talking about marathons one day and old Dangerous chimed in.
    "Oh I used to run double marathons all the time" (no reaction) "used to only take me about 3 and a half hours".
    An impressive claim from a man with a similar physique to Brian Cowen, well similar if Brian Cowen really let himself go for a while.
    Now that he'd gotten our attention Dave continued.
    "Well I was in great shape back then from playing football" (pauses for dramatic effect) "for Notts Forest".
    Apparantly Dave and his mates were down at his local one Sunday having a few pints.
    They were kicking a ball around the pub carpark when who should walk past only Bobby Charlton.
    Charlton was so impressed with our David that word of his skills spread rapidly through the football world.
    Within weeks he'd been signed by Forest.
    At this point a rather gullible young fella asked Dave what happened to his glittering football career.
    "Well", replied Dave, "I had to pack it all in, the missus was getting jealous over all the attention I was getting from women"...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I don't work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Aodan83

Whoever pays me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Lol, that Dangerous Dave story reminds me of a certain James Herriot short story.

Now I have to go dig up my copy of All Creatures Great and Small. Well done, OP, I don't think the poor old book can take another re-reading :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

thats easy my hero as a kid was Murdock from the A- Team he taught me so much .....
    we talk telepathically...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Purple Gorilla

I have nothing of value to contribute to this thread, but..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=torq0bVAelc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

I have nothing of value to contribute to this thread, but..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=torq0bVAelc

That song is in my head since I saw the title of the thread.... I need a hero.....*

*Is it too early to start drinking??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

thats easy my hero as a kid was Murdock from the A- Team he taught me so much .....
    we talk telepathically...

Quit yo' jibba jabba foo' :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭markok84

Saibh wrote: »
    Is it too early to start drinking??

I hope not, or else I'm in a lot of trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

We don't need another hero

tech77 wrote: »
    Quit yo' jibba jabba foo' :rolleyes:

What are you a fruit flie? You know there are places for people like you. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Oh feck, my weekend is ruined, that darned song won't go out of my head now.:(:mad:

galwayrush wrote: »
    Oh feck, my weekend is ruined, that darned song won't go out of my head now.:(:mad:

You could listen to some Rush music - might ease the pain

You could listen to some Rush music - might ease the pain

Excellent idea.:cool:
    Living in the limelight, the universal dream...................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

there was a russian guy when i was working during the summer last year....that i hd good craic with
    me " hey josef"
    him "what!?!?"
    me "john told me that you were a little slow....."
    him "john you f**cking fat Fu........."
    me (interrupting him) ".....vakian"

he slagged me alot as well....not just being rascist:rolleyes:

he was about 40 and was in afghanistan.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

liah wrote: »
    Lol, that Dangerous Dave story reminds me of a certain James Herriot short story.

Now I have to go dig up my copy of All Creatures Great and Small. Well done, OP, I don't think the poor old book can take another re-reading :o

Your post confuses me, I'm not sure if I'm picking up sincerity, sarcasm or just plain old insanity. :)

Tune in next week for more of Dangerous Dave's crazy adventures.
    Including, the time Robbie Williams changed his flat tyre, the time he took the rap for Dolores O'Riordan on a drink driving charge and of course, the famous 747 story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

You could listen to some Rush music -

"For i am your lady, and you are my man, whenever you reach for me....(where's the peuke smiley :o)"

Jennifer Rush. Cheers for that Saibh.... NOT! :D

/ forgets what thread was actually about.

themadchef wrote: »
    "For i am your lady, and you are my man, whenever you reach for me....(where's the peuke smiley :o)"

Jennifer Rush. Cheers for that Saibh.... NOT! :D

/ forgets what thread was actually about.

Many years ago, i requested some Rush ( the Rock band) on the radio, i was awarded with Jennifer Rush's Power Of Love.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭cock robin

..he’s gotta be strong, and he’s gotta be fast
    and he’s gotta be at his desk before 9...

Who's your work hero?

The Big Lebowski :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 281 ✭✭AlkalineAcid

Do an hero.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,927 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

The Citizen.

• Advertisement

Overheal wrote: »
    The Citizen.

Didn't see any posts from him lately - he is probably busy

Didn't see any posts from him lately - he is probably busy

His Ma grounded him and cut off his broadband.

His Ma grounded him and cut off his broadband.

His da might give it back to him tomorrow on account its fathers day...

His da might give it back to him tomorrow on account its fathers day...

Shouldn't the father be receiving rather that giving?

Shouldn't the father be receiving rather that giving?

He will be in a generous mood after The Citizen shows him how the crime rate in Dublin had decreased all because of his beloved son :pac:

tech77 wrote: »
    "Fruit flie"?
    Oh dear. :o:D

who said you could, put the stop payment on my Reality check?
    :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Your post confuses me, I'm not sure if I'm picking up sincerity, sarcasm or just plain old insanity. :)

Tune in next week for more of Dangerous Dave's crazy adventures.
    Including, the time Robbie Williams changed his flat tyre, the time he took the rap for Dolores O'Riordan on a drink driving charge and of course, the famous 747 story.

It's entirely sincere.

James Herriot (well, Alf Wight under the pseudonym James Herriot) wrote a series of books that I loved dearly as a child, and this reminded me of one of his shorts where this old man keeps telling all these ridiculous stories about how he knew all these famous sports players and various athletes and famous people, how they were all chums, etc. So of course he was quite known around town, all the kids and adults alike quietly took the piss out of him when he wasn't around but listened with great interest when he had his stories to tell.

So, off they go to I believe it was a cricket match. Some famous players on the field, and the man's off waxing lyrical about how they were all his chums and that he couldn't wait til the game was over to talk to his old pals. Everyone exchanged those knowing glances behind his back and left him to it.

Lo and behold, the entire cricket team comes off the field, and everyone waits in eager expectation for the man to be called out on all his lies and tall tales... when one by one each cricket player comes over to him with great big chummy smiles on their faces asking him how he was doing and how he should go play with them again sometime, leaving all the "knowing" folk around who doubted him with their jaws on the ground. :pac:

So, sometimes you just never know!

Really miss those aul books. Quality reads.

Advertisement