Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which is the better choice?

• 20-06-2009 6:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭

I've got an EOS 40D and I'm looking to get a tripod for it. I dont have any really heavy lens at the moment but I figure I may as well get something good now so I dont have to get something else down the line. Anyway I'm looking at the two options below but since they're around the same price I'm wondering if theres anything in particular would make you lean towards one or the other?

Giottos MTL3271B Vertical Column Tripod with Giottos MH5001 Fluid 3-Way Tripod Head for a total of £141.85

OR

Manfrotto 190XPROB Pro Tripod Black + 804RC2 - 3 Way Head for £134.95

Or would you recommend something else entirely?

thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

JohnK wrote: »
    I've got an EOS 40D and I'm looking to get a tripod for it. I dont have any really heavy lens at the moment but I figure I may as well get something good now so I dont have to get something else down the line. Anyway I'm looking at the two options below but since they're around the same price I'm wondering if theres anything in particular would make you lean towards one or the other?

Giottos MTL3271B Vertical Column Tripod with Giottos MH5001 Fluid 3-Way Tripod Head for a total of £141.85

OR

Manfrotto 190XPROB Pro Tripod Black + 804RC2 - 3 Way Head for £134.95

Or would you recommend something else entirely?

thanks.

Looks like much of a muchness, they're both aluminium so I presume they weigh more or less the same. Both of them are reasonably well regarded. I'd personally opt for the manfrotto, partly because I have one myself, but also because you can flip the centre column sideways which adds versatility. That said, I thought I'd use the feature, but never have. Its a little more awkward to do on my model though (have to unscrew the column base and slide it out entirely).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,508 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

The 804RC2 head looks good in theory, I have one but only because I more or less had to buy it in a bundle with the 190XPROB but I also bought the 486RC2 'ball head' head which is much more versatile. The 804RC2 is ideal for panning but is relatively bulky and those three handles could be very intimidating and awkward when all you may require is a joystick head with a quick locking lever which is what you get with the 486RC2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭xshayx

JohnK wrote: »

Got this one a few weeks ago, love it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

I have the 190XPROB got it from Gunns. Solid and sturdy but a bit heavy to carry all day. For tripod head, I have a 460MG. Have a read at this, help me a lot on choosing tripod and head:

http://www.juzaphoto.com/eng/articles/tripods_and_heads.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Thanks for the replies everyone :). From the looks of it the Manfrotto might be the way to go.

@coylemj given that you have both heads - do you lose much/any range of movement when you use the 486RC2 ball head as opposed to the 804RC2 3 Way Head?

thanks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement