Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My frizzy hair

Options
  • 20-06-2009 6:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭

Right well I've got really frizzy/curly hair which is an absolute pain
    Usually i just dont brush it cause it makes it soo frizy and really anoys me
    When I straighten my hair its straight for an hour but starts frizzing even if I use strightening serums hairspray or anything
    I just really dontknow what to do with it anymore its pretty long too past my shoulder but Just wondering if anyonne has the same problem with straightening and that,

Mary

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Ericka

Do you use anything in your hair before you straighten your hair / or after?

Im a fan of Frizz eaze and it does the job, I've the same problem as yourself. I also use their finishing cream on my hair afterwards. See below, you should give them a try :)

344870.jpg

john_Frieda_263x387.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭zzxx

Sounds a bit like my hair. I use FrizzEase too and it is great. Best thing I ever found is Aveda Be Curly. It really let me manage my hair and I've gone from straightening my hair every day to only doing it once a week. You scrunch it into your hair while it's wet and/or twist it to define the curls a bit. I get loads of compliments on my hair now - way more than I ever did when it was straightened to within an inch of it's life! Frizz Ease is still great to use once it's dry

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

I have that Frizz Ease but it just doesnt do anything :( At this stage I have given up all hope on ever having straightened hair that will last longer then 10 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Try wearing it curly. If it's frizzy you can do a lot to turn it into good looking curls.

Pantene do a 'perfect curls' range which is really very good.

There's a shampoo and conditioner - I could take or leave the shampoo, but the conditioner is great.

So wash and condition hair, then comb fingers through hair in shower to get tangles out. Let hair fall into wet curls. Wrap in a towel when you get out of the shower, but do not towel it - just twist the towel to get the excess wetness out. When you take the towel off your head, you should have a head full of sad looking wet curls. These will bounce up when dry.

Pantene make a serum similar to frizz ease, called frizz defence anti frizz serum. It doesn't harden when it dries. You don't need much - three or four squirts into your hands, rub it between both palms and then work it through the hair. It's like a heavy, leave-in oil. It's brilliant. Less is more, because it can make the hair look greasy if you use too much. It defines curls and keeps frizz at bay very successfully.

I have lots of very fine, very curly hair. Straightening it does nothing for it (or for me) because it's too fine and flyaway. Getting it to set into corkscrew curls works a lot better.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,909 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Is your hair naturally straight or curly?

If curly then it sounds a lot like my hair.
    I only brush (comb really) my hair after washing it, and then I bung on a bit of Pantene Moussé and let it dry naturally.

You are left with nice curls and great volume and body.

Just follow MinesaJackDaniels' tips.

Curly hair works pretty well, it looks a lot less greasy and it can be fun to play with
    (curly...straight! curly....straight!):D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 DUDE!

My hair is naturally really curly too and it would go very frizzy if it were brushed.
    I straighten my hair a lot now though and I used to have the same problem that it would go frizzy after a while.
    I must ask though, what straightener do you use? because if it's anything other than the wide GHD than it won't work for our type hair. To ensure it keeps straight I straighten it the night before sleep on it and the go over it again in the morning and its fine.:) You must use the wide GHD though nothing else ever worked for me and it really makes all the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,909 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

I used a Remington, but it has been gathering dust in my wardrobe for the last 2 years :o.

I'd say you are doing more harm than good with using the iron so much.

That would dry out your hair like mad, making it a lot frizzier.

Use more conditioner and serum if you want to keep it straight.

But give the curliness a try :).
    The moussé is really good at keeping you hair under control and giving it some nice shape, and keeps it hydrated and soft.

Pantene is the best to go.

Edit: Sorry DUDE, I mistook you for the OP for some reason :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 melissa4gar

M&S* wrote: »
    Right well I've got really frizzy/curly hair which is an absolute pain
    Usually i just dont brush it cause it makes it soo frizy and really anoys me
    When I straighten my hair its straight for an hour but starts frizzing even if I use strightening serums hairspray or anything
    I just really dontknow what to do with it anymore its pretty long too past my shoulder but Just wondering if anyonne has the same problem with straightening and that,

Mary

i have the worst hair in the world. its like straw and frizz is not the word, sounds weird but i swear by using conditioner, then shampoo then small condition again for 3 or so minutes and it should be ok. towel dry as best you can, then blow dry and GHD, small sections, it takes time but works well and then a pea sized ammount of dax but dont start at the top cause it will end up looking greasy from just over your ears to tips spread evenly and perfection. have long hair myself and find the frizz unbearable, try my way and let me know if it was of any help

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭LivingDeadGirl

Sounds like you have very similar hair to mine! I use Boots Curl Creme, costs about 2.10 and it's the best product I've ever used. I put it through my damp hair and scrunch to control frizz and give definition to my curls, but it can also be used on dry hair too!
    I normally wear gel in my hair too as sleeping on it or moisture start making it get frizzy again. A bit of Shockwaves Ultra Hold and I'm good to go :D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i use aveda be curly, it is amazing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Sounds like you have very similar hair to mine! I use Boots Curl Creme, costs about 2.10 and it's the best product I've ever used. I put it through my damp hair and scrunch to control frizz and give definition to my curls, but it can also be used on dry hair too!
    I normally wear gel in my hair too as sleeping on it or moisture start making it get frizzy again. A bit of Shockwaves Ultra Hold and I'm good to go :D

does the boots curl creme go cruchy?

I hate stuff that goes crunchy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭LivingDeadGirl

Depends on how much you put in, mine often does but I just sort of tug it and it stops being crunchy, I don't like crunchy stuff either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

i use aveda be curly, it is amazing

I use this too. After years of spending loads of money trying and discarding mouses, gels and creams, this is the only one that calms the fiizz (all day) and doesn't look greasy, and isn't crunchy.

Not a major fan of the smell though but..... meh!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

damnit, that aveda stuff sounds good but is there a boots 2 euro version!? haha.

le sigh.

I must try that Aveda sometime seeing as alot of you recommend it
    Thanks for your help :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭b3t4

I didn't realise I had curly hair till I was, about, 13. A friend of the family took one look at my hair and told me to stop brushing it :D I did and I've not looked back.

The absolutely most important thing, in my opinion, for curly hair is a very good, intense conditioner. I use Aussie 2 minute miracle at the moment. Another thing is to not use a shampoo too often. I'll only wash my hair with shampoo once a week and at most twice a week.

My routine is:
    1. Wet hair
    2. Throw on a lot of conditioner
    3. Run fingers through hair to remove hair that's fallen out and tangles. The conditioner makes this way easier.
    4. Once out of the shower I wrap it in a towel and go and finish the rest of my getting ready.
    5. Take towel off head (should be half dryish at this stage)
    6. Put shockwaves hair gel in it. It's a fine art learning how much is too much and how much is too little :) This can have a tendency to make the hair crunchy but it isn't too bad.
    7. Leave to dry naturally or if you really need it dry at that moment dry with a hairdryer that has a diffuser.

The above doesn't take as long as it looks haha

I find those frizz ease things absolutely terrible and definitely not worth the money. Shockwaves is pretty cheap, lasts a while and every so often they have a two for one deal on. I've spent a small fortune on the stuff over the years.

Keep the faith. Curly hair is wonderful when you come to realise it'll never be the same two days in a row. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭MJOR

aVON have a new serum that is very good. Also I have to ask is your haircut a good one for curly hair? Sometimes it actually make all the difference

I have a fringe atm and just some layers cause i hate it looking bulky? duno if I've been just doin a terrible thing for years with my hair but I dunno I feel my fringe hides my forhead which I feel is quite big??

Advertisement