Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home/Small Office PBX

Options
  • 20-06-2009 7:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭

Hi

Can anyone recommend a home/small office pbx system that is cheap and easy to install. I have a small office which shares a phone no. with the house phone and would like to use the home no. but be able to transfer calls from wherever its picked up to another internal phone. Any suggestions or help??:confused:

bp.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭FusionNet

Hi there,

I think one of the best home/office systems thats value for money, will last for years and is very reliable is the Pansonic Analogue 308 PBX. You can put system phones on it or regular handsets. It now programs via a PC and retails for a few hundred euro. Has all the features of the big systems but not the price tag..

This is the webpage with info

http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_GB/Products/Telephone+Systems/Analogue+Telephone+Systems/KX-TEA308E/Overview/992529/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

A Linksys SPA-9000 IP PBX would be just for you. Does SIP based VOIP and can support 2 analog phones by default, plus a load of SIP ones.

You can pick these up new for circa €150. Easy to configure - it's all web based.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭4Sheets

download trixbox and install on an spare pc..its free,easy to install/use and has functionality that u could pay e500 for a pbx as mentioned above..U can get interface cards such as fxo for connecting to pstn on ebay or at voip4u.ie..(who i recommend because they will support you via phone wth any installation issues but a good quality openvox card will install itself).
    www.trixbox.org

Where have seen this for e150??
    Cheapest I can find is e319 and its limited to 4 users at that!
    I do like cisco but its more expensive..
    Jaden wrote: »
    A Linksys SPA-9000 IP PBX would be just for you. Does SIP based VOIP and can support 2 analog phones by default, plus a load of SIP ones.

You can pick these up new for circa €150. Easy to configure - it's all web based.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

Can't go wrong with Asterisk :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 VoIP4U

Remember if you go the Trixbox route as mentioned you will need to get an analog card or an ATA with an FXO port to integrate your PSTN line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

VoIP4U wrote: »
    Remember if you go the Trixbox route as mentioned you will need to get an analog card or an ATA with an FXO port to integrate your PSTN line.

Yup and its worth every penny!

The famous "Asterisk Book" -
    http://cdn.oreilly.com/books/9780596510480.pdf

Hmmm I feel all old fashioned now with my Analogue PBX option and Im only 30..!!! No Im sticking to it, you VOIP heads will be struck down by viruses muhahahahah.... Ive had one of those panasonics soacked with water and it still works!!

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭bonnieprince

Thanks a mill guys, that gives me loads of options, i like linksys stuff but i also like tribox type stuff as well. I will investigate and let you know how i get on! Cheers again.

4Sheets wrote: »
    Where have seen this for e150??
    Cheapest I can find is e319 and its limited to 4 users at that!
    I do like cisco but its more expensive..

A quick Google turns up:
    http://www.diytrade.com/china/4/products/5215296/Linksys_SPA9000_IP_PBX_System_4FXS_for_the_Small_Business_free_shipping.html

If you have the time and learning curve patience for Trixbox, then go that route, but you will need additional hardware, and remember that a PCs power consumption is alot higher than a stand alone unit. It's also louder, and if using an older PC, could be more prone to failure.

As an alternative to Trixbox, another Asterisk based PBX I've found handy is PBX in a Flash:

http://pbxinaflash.net/

It's based on the good old Asteriskathome. Having used all of them, this is probably the easiest to get the hang of.

Just my 0.02 Euros worth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

I have a business grade PBX floating about... and 4 of the digital system phones, it might be a bit big for you're needs though, it's a wall mount unit about the size of an old desktop PC.

The unit itself takes up to 8 incoming lines, and provides up to 24 internal extensions. It can be programmed from a PC using a serial cable and software available on the internet.

You can set the individual extension numbers (up to 3 digits) for each phone.
    You can place incoming calls on hold and transfer them to other extensions.
    The system phones support direct dialing.. so you dont need to dial 9 to get an outside line, but you would from a regular phone connected to it.
    You can also restrict the kind of outgoing calls made from any of the extensions.. say to only allow local numbers to be called.

I was going to flog this on eBay at some point.. but it's up for grabs if anyone wants it. I hope this isnt considered advertising as Im happy to just give it away for free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

I was going to flog this on eBay at some point.. but it's up for grabs if anyone wants it. I hope this isnt considered advertising as Im happy to just give it away for free.

No objection from me anyway. You could try adverts.ie too, there's a section there for free stuff.

Free Free free are you trying to ruin us poor telecoms sales guys :( damn how will we compete... I know with ever PBX sold we'll give you a lolipop..!!

I would be shocked if that was genuine linksys kit...and come one dude that was'nt a quick google search any reputable supplier who is going to honour warranty and support is going to charge at leasr a few hundred..and trixbox is a piece of piss ..there is no learning curve..pbxinflash is almost the same thing as trixbox..still runs on a pc..power consumption,louder??wtf its not gonna be running in his bedroom..give the guy a break
    Jaden wrote: »
    A quick Google turns up:
    http://www.diytrade.com/china/4/products/5215296/Linksys_SPA9000_IP_PBX_System_4FXS_for_the_Small_Business_free_shipping.html

If you have the time and learning curve patience for Trixbox, then go that route, but you will need additional hardware, and remember that a PCs power consumption is alot higher than a stand alone unit. It's also louder, and if using an older PC, could be more prone to failure.

As an alternative to Trixbox, another Asterisk based PBX I've found handy is PBX in a Flash:

http://pbxinaflash.net/

It's based on the good old Asteriskathome. Having used all of them, this is probably the easiest to get the hang of.

Just my 0.02 Euros worth.

4Sheets wrote: »
    I would be shocked if that was genuine linksys kit...and come one dude that was'nt a quick google search any reputable supplier who is going to honour warranty and support is going to charge at leasr a few hundred..and trixbox is a piece of piss ..there is no learning curve..pbxinflash is almost the same thing as trixbox..still runs on a pc..power consumption,louder??wtf its not gonna be running in his bedroom..give the guy a break

It was a quick Google search, type "Linksys SPA-9000 IP PBX" into Google, and the link was the first hit. Doesn't get quicker than that.

If you think there is no learning curve with Asterisk based installations, then you obviously haven't done many, or at least haven't done any that are in any way complex.

I could discuss power consumption and noise issues with PC based installs Vs dedicated equipment, but it appears that you don't consider this important. The Annual cost of leaving a desktop PC on 24x7 is not insignificant at all. Noise is a factor, depending on there you have it, and reliability is certainly a factor, esp. when repurposing older hardware.

Panasonic 308's make no noise and dont cosume hardly any power, yah I win, in your face VOIP haha....

Personally though Id recommend a hybrid over anything PC based as these are a tested piece of kit and way more reliable...

Advertisement