Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red Pepper Relish recipe - or similar!

Options
  • 20-06-2009 7:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have about 6 red peppers that need to be used up, so am looking for a relishy type dish to go with the roast Rib of Beef that I am cooking for my Dad tomorrow!

I only have white wine vinegar - no proper vinegar!

Does anyone have a recipe idea to use my limited ingredients up into a tempting dish????

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Try this one, no vinegar but it looks good. Charring the skin gives great results

Mediterranean Red Pepper Sauce
    Christine's original recipe
    Ingredients:
    2 large red bell peppers, charred, peeled, seeded and coarsely chopped
    1/2 sweet onion, chopped
    4 cloves garlic, chopped
    1 tablespoon plus 1/4 to 1/3 cup olive oil, divided
    1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
    1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
    fresh Italian parsley (optional)
    fresh basil (optional)

Preparation:
    Set the whole red peppers over a gas flame set on high and char until the skin is blackened and blistered all over, using tongs to turn them. You will know when the blistering begins because the skin will give a popping sound.
    When charred, place the peppers into a paper bag, fold down the top and let sit for about 15 minutes.
    Remove peppers from the bag and, using your fingers, push and peel the skin from the fruits. Do not put under running water to do this as you will wash away much of the flavor. It's okay for bits of charred skin to remain on the peppers, I think it gives them character.
    Cut off the tops of the peppers and remove the seeds and veins.
    Chop peppers coarsely and set aside.
    Saute the onions in the 1 tablespoon of olive over medium-low heat for about 5 minutes.
    Add the chopped garlic and stir for about a minute more.
    If using the fresh herbs as I did for this recipe, chop them coarsely now.
    Place the chopped bell peppers in a food processor and pulse 3 or 4 times, just to break the peppers up.
    Add the chopped herbs, the onion and garlic saute along with whatever oil has remained in the pan, and pulse until the mixture is finely chopped.
    With the machine running, pour the 1/4 to 1/3 cup of olive oil through the feed tube in a small, steady stream, using enough oil to create a thick, smooth sauce.
    Stop the machine and taste the sauce. Add salt if needed and pulse to incorporate. Add the lemon juice and process until incorporated.
    Keep in a glass bowl or measuring cup. This can remain at room temperature for several hours but should be refrigerated if being kept longer.

Cook's Notes:

Going south-of-the-border, you could make this sauce by substituting red onion for the sweet one and lime juice for the lemon.
    Spice it up with charred, peeled jalapeno.
    Leave out the garlic if you wish.
    Don't saute anything. Just add it fresh to the food processor.
    Add spices like cumin and corriander.
    My preference is to keep it as simple as possible so the freshness of the ingredients shine.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭35notout

Thanks CJ! Will give that a go - may add some chilli flakes too

Advertisement