Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Calls for Ireland to open its borders to Nigerians!

• 20-06-2009 7:37pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 932 ✭✭✭

Speaking to the Nigerian paper, Vanguard, the Nigerian ambassador Dr.Kema Chikwe said she was working with the Irish government on a project to allow Nigerians to "come into Ireland through the front door".
    "Now, we are working on a project, consular-migrant project where Nigerians can come into Ireland through the front door and when you do it through front door, chances are that you are going to have the kind of Nigerians that will give Nigeria a good image. I am meeting with the minister of labour on that and I have discussed with NEPAD.

http://allafrica.com/stories/200905111411.html?page=2

What say you? Good idea? It makes sense to me, it would clampdown on "asylum seekers" coming here and instead, give people an opportunity to become economically viable rather than waiting for months on end in hostels for their claims to be heard.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭markok84

beats them coming up the back passage anyway, you know, they get their feet dirty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

More money milkers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Eh no. Make it so nobody can get in without a clean record/college degree, or a job already lined up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

Not a bad idea, we should be doing things like this with alot more countries around the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Dear friend mr Nigerian person, i have a proposition for you that will greatly benefit you financially.......................

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

It's not going to stop bogus asylum seekers though, is it? What are some of the Nigerians claiming asylum from (besides fgm)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

phasers wrote: »
    Eh no. Make it so nobody can get in without a clean record/college degree, or a job already lined up.

But sure all the Nigerians are lawyers, doctors, and deposed princes.......... at least the ones that contact me by email asking to rest some money in my bank account.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 932 ✭✭✭PaulieD

nuxxx wrote: »
    More money milkers

We would save money in the long term, we spend 300 million euro per annum on asylum seekers, a large proportion of asylum seekers are from Nigeria. It makes sense, they are going to come here either way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

PaulieD wrote: »
    We would save money in the long term, we spend 300 million euro per annum on asylum seekers, a large proportion of asylum seekers are from Nigeria. It makes sense, they are going to come here either way.

Depends on what they would be entitled to should they enter through the "front door"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

But it'll cost us a fortune in the free cars they all get!

• Advertisement

WindSock wrote: »
    It's not going to stop bogus asylum seekers though, is it? What are some of the Nigerians claiming asylum from (besides fgm)?

Why would economic migrants claim "asylum" when they can legally get into the country?

Of course it would clamp down on asylum claims from Nigeria.

Het-Field wrote: »
    Depends on what they would be entitled to should they enter through the "front door"

Nothing. Find work or go home.

Why would economic migrants claim "asylum" when they can legally get into the country?

Of course it would clamp down on asylum claims from Nigeria.

Perhaps there would be people who do not meet the criteria and find another route.

Of course we'll kindly let them claim children's allowance for their kids back home. we like being generous.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Dear Sirs

My names is General Paddy O'Raylie of the Irish Frontline Defence Forces Second Devision. I have recently recieved the sum of 2 Billion Euros and require your nigerian bank account in order to An Phost the Euros to you.

Im getting ready to send my emails to Africa. Lets see how they like it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Joe C

It makes sense to me, it would clampdown on "asylum seekers" coming here and instead, give people an opportunity to become economically viable rather than waiting for months on end in hostels for their claims to be heard.

How would it clampdown on asylum seekers ?

All it would do is give them the opportunity to work here for a while, once the visa ran out they'd then claim asylum like lots of people who get student visas with the man examples being Pakistan and China. Lately we've even had asylum seekers from the paradise honeymoon island of Mauritius because their student visas ran out / didn't allow their spouse and kids entry to the country.

And contrary to popular belief asylum claims are heard within 3 weeks of them registering. It's because they appeal the refusal, as is their right to do so, that it gets dragged out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭devereaux17

no we shouldn't have open door but we should have fair system. please people don't be racist against people you don't know.

galwayrush wrote: »
    Of course we'll kindly let them claim children's allowance for their kids back home. we like being generous.:rolleyes:

Well I think the point is that they would be here to work, the decent people would be let in rather than the bludgers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

galwayrush wrote: »
    Dear friend mr Nigerian person, i have a proposition for you that will greatly benefit you financially.......................

very good lol

Joe C wrote: »
    All it would do is give them the opportunity to work here for a while, once the visa ran out they'd then claim asylum like lots of people who get student visas with the man examples being Pakistan and China. Lately we've even had asylum seekers from the paradise honeymoon island of Mauritius because their student visas ran out / didn't allow their spouse and kids entry to the country.

I don't think a hard working person would enjoy trying to claim for asylum. A.S are not allowed to work, are put into hostels and are given less than E20 a week to spend.

• Advertisement

The most popular one from Nigerian males at the moment is that they are/were members of MEND because they've been in the news lately. I think on of their leaders got shot by police.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Insane idea!

Should not happen.

How would it clampdown on asylum seekers ?

And contrary to popular belief asylum claims are heard within 3 weeks of them registering. It's because they appeal the refusal, as is their right to do so, that it gets dragged out.

I agree, the systems a shambles.

I feel this will cut down on asylum claims from Nigerian as it will give them a legal right to immigrate to Ireland. Have you a better idea?

We are spending 300 million euro per annum on asylum seekers, as we have signed up to the Geneva Convention. Surely steps like this are welcome?

I don't think a hard working person would enjoy trying to claim for asylum. A.S are not allowed to work, are put into hostels and are given less than E20 a week to spend.

Well all I can say is that you're a bit naive. As I said what happens when the visa runs out ? Do you think they'll just trot off back to Nigeria ?

A lot of people will do anything to stay here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

Not another Nigerian thread!!!!
    Not all Nigerians are seeking asylum/here illegally!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭devereaux17

yes MIN2511 i agree, are you nigerian? please ignore these comments, i know it might be tough sometimes but screw the masses. they are sheep

I agree, the systems a shambles.

I feel this will cut down on asylum claims from Nigerian as it will give them a legal right to immigrate to Ireland. Have you a better idea?

We are spending 300 million euro per annum on asylum seekers, as we have signed up to the Geneva Convention. Surely steps like this are welcome?

With regard to Nigerians we shouldn't allow them to claim asylum at all, much like we don't let anyone in the EU claim asylum here.

The UNHCR guidlines for Nigeria state that internal relocation is always an option, as well as that Nigeria is a member of ECOWAS which is a 15 member bloc of countries in West Africa that allow free movement between the states.

We don't need more immigrants to work in the country when there are 400,000+ people unemployed right now.

The system isn't really a shambles, it's being used for a purpose it was never designed for. In reality there are very few people that can satisfy the criteria laid down in the 1951 Convention on refugees, when times were good the RAT applied a very loose interpretation of the criteria (probably to get people in the workforce) but for the past couple of years it's been tightened up a hell of a lot. Nigerians simply aren't granted asylum anymore.

MIN2511 wrote: »

No, just the vast majority. This will allow them to immigrate to Ireland legally, thus cutting down on asylum claims and more importantly saving the state money.

Sorry if it affects you personally MIN. I know AH isn't the best place to have these discussions, but as long as people like yourself are here, you can help to inform our ignorant asses ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

please people don't be racist against people you don't know.

Can i be racist to people i do know?

With regard to Nigerians we shouldn't allow them to claim asylum at all, much like we don't let anyone in the EU claim asylum here.

The UNHCR guidlines for Nigeria state that internal relocation is always an option, as well as that Nigeria is a member of ECOWAS which is a 15 member bloc of countries in West Africa that allow free movement between the states.

We don't need more immigrants to work in the country when there are 400,000+ people unemployed right now.

I am against mass immigration but I would rather people come here to work rather than to "claim asylum". They will come here either way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭shqipshume

Why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭RHunce

didnt we just exterminate the polish?

yes MIN2511 i agree, are you nigerian? please ignore these comments, i know it might be tough sometimes but screw the masses. they are sheep
    Thank you.
    I generally don't mind the jokes, i slag Nigerians more than any Irish person but i am sick of people generalising that all of us are illegal. And most of these threads are disrespectful and just plain rude!

No, just the vast majority. This will allow them to immigrate to Ireland legally, thus cutting down on asylum claims and more importantly saving the state money.
    These scheme will never work! The population in Nigeria is 157million people. Ireland cannot facillitate this type of immigration. It's not feasible!

• Advertisement

Well all I can say is that you're a bit naive. As I said what happens when the visa runs out ? Do you think they'll just trot off back to Nigeria ?

A lot of people will do anything to stay here.

Well all I can say is that you are a bit cynical. Those who seek to work in countries legally as skilled migrants are generally the best and brightest products of their environments. People who travel to further their careers/incomes don't generally like to take a step back and be living on handouts. Some, maybe, but not most.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Thank you.
    I generally don't mind the jokes, i slag Nigerians more than any Irish person but i am sick of people generalising that all of us are illegal. And most of these threads are disrespectful and just plain rude!

Don't worry. This thread is pretty tame for rabble rousing. It could get a bit worse with some extreme opinions if posted between 9-5 mon-fri

/makes mental note to bump thread between 9-5 on monday

Where is the work they are meant to get? anyone anyone?

I am against mass immigration but I would rather people come here to work rather than to "claim asylum". They will come here either way.

And what happens when they come here to work, can't get a job and have no dole entitlements ?

Will they head back home or apply for asylum to get free accomodation and meals ?

You haven't thought this through very well

Thank you.

The vast majority of Nigerians here do not work, Min. That is a fact. Is it disrespectful and plain rude to discuss this?

"Refugees" from Nigeria are entitled to the same benefits as Irish citizens. In my opinion these proposals will cut down on asylum claims from Nigerians and allow in those who wish to work.

"The people who come second in the rent-allowance league table are the Nigerians -- barely less than the British, with 3,024 claimants. But whereas the British figure constitutes just 2.7pc of the total population of Britons living here, the figure for Nigerians is 18.6pc of their total Irish population of 16,300. Alas, just how many more Nigerian dependents are the beneficiaries of the rent allowances that are being granted to the 3,024 family-heads, I cannot say.
    Now this reliance upon the state for the accommodation of so many Nigerians reflects another rather uncomfortable truth which was revealed in the 2006 census, but which has never -- so far as I know -- been highlighted in the media. It is this: contrary to almost all predictions about the impact of immigrants upon an economy, a majority of Nigerians are not economically active at all. For even at the height of the boom, in 2006, only 38pc over the age of 15 were at work".

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/columnists/kevin-myers/risible-lies-about-immigrants-no-substitute-for-honest-debate-1456226.html

• Advertisement

And what happens when they come here to work, can't get a job and have no dole entitlements ?

Will they head back home or apply for asylum to get free accomodation and meals ?

Refuse their asylum claims. I propose a work permit scheme. Not permanent residency.

Lets build a bridge between Ireland and Nigeria, plenty of jobs then.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭RHunce

OMFG!!! its joe canning!! but he's playing hurling at the mo :confused:

hahaha

Well all I can say is that you are a bit cynical. Those who seek to work in countries legally as skilled migrants are generally the best and brightest products of their environments. People who travel to further their careers/incomes don't generally like to take a step back and be living on handouts. Some, maybe, but not most.

Did you know that the largest demographic of asylum seekers in Ireland is early to mid twenties university educated males ?

They can't get a visa here so use the asylum system to get around that.

Here we go again :rolleyes:

Refuse their asylum claims. I propose a work permit scheme. Not permanent residency.

There is no work why cant they go to a country closer to them,I dont get it what does Ireland get out of it,Oh wait is fianna fail going to get money again :rolleyes:

Did you know that the largest demographic of asylum seekers in Ireland is early to mid twenties university educated males ?

They can't get a visa here so use the asylum system to get around that.

So maybe we permit a percentage of work permits/visas so they don't have to resort to alternative routes...?

shqipshume wrote: »
    There is no work why cant they go to a country closer to them,I dont get it what does Ireland get out of it,Oh wait is fianna fail going to get money again :rolleyes:

Id refuse every asylum seeker from Nigeria. Still, it costs us 300 million euro per annum to deal with asylum seekers, now under these proposals it would make it easier for people from Nigeria to immigrate here, thus cutting down on asylum claims and saving the state money.

I would rather somebody coming here to work than somebody coming here to claim "asylum".

So maybe we permit a percentage of work permits/visas so they don't have to resort to alternative routes...?

We don't need to do it really do we ?

There's millions out of work in Europe already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 600 ✭✭✭The Orb

Speaking to the Nigerian paper, Vanguard, the Nigerian ambassador Dr.Kema Chikwe said she was working with the Irish government on a project to allow Nigerians to "come into Ireland through the front door".
    "Now, we are working on a project, consular-migrant project where Nigerians can come into Ireland through the front door and when you do it through front door, chances are that you are going to have the kind of Nigerians that will give Nigeria a good image. I am meeting with the minister of labour on that and I have discussed with NEPAD.

http://allafrica.com/stories/200905111411.html?page=2

What say you? Good idea? It makes sense to me, it would clampdown on "asylum seekers" coming here and instead, give people an opportunity to become economically viable rather than waiting for months on end in hostels for their claims to be heard.

This is total nonsense. I work in the asylum area, there is NO WAY the Irish Govt. would entertain this idea, not in a million years. Talk about turkeys voting for christmas.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement