Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Calls for Ireland to open its borders to Nigerians!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭high horse

I don't really see how this will stop Nigerians seeking asylum here. Those who are not eligible for a work visa will hardly just give up because they cant get in the "front door". They will still seek asylum as a means to get their foot in the door.

Also, I don't understand why Nigerians would recieve special treatment with regards to getting a work visa for Ireland. Isn't there already a procedure in place to grant work visas to non EU citizens? Special treatment usually only comes about as a reciprocal arrangement, like with the US where we give visas because Irish citizens want to work in the US (kinda like a swap). I can hardly see that happening with Nigeria.... (I could be wrong with all the petrochemical industries and the high skilled jobs related to it in Nigeria)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 932 ✭✭✭PaulieD

The Orb wrote: »
    This is total nonsense. I work in the asylum area, there is NO WAY the Irish Govt. would entertain this idea, not in a million years. Talk about turkeys voting for christmas.

So, the Irish government would prefer to continue paying 300 million euro per annum on asylum seekers instead? This would safe the state money.

MIN2511 wrote: »
    These scheme will never work! The population in Nigeria is 157million people. Ireland cannot facillitate this type of immigration. It's not feasible!

So its ok for you to immigrate to Ireland from Nigeria but screw the rest? Interesting......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

I slept with a Nigerian hooker in Amsterdam once for the pricely sum of 20 euros. As such I feel I'm compromised from commenting on this issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 600 ✭✭✭The Orb

PaulieD wrote: »
    So, the Irish government would prefer to continue paying 300 million euro per annum on asylum seekers instead? This would safe the state money.

The number of Nigerian asylum seekers will not not drop in any way at all if this system was introduced, the state wouldn't save a shilling. The vast vast majority of Nigerians in this country have come to take advantage of an over generous welfare system, the now closed IBC loophole and the ability to delay any deportations with never ending judicial reviews. Any Nigerian who is interested in obtaining an Irish work visa is currnetly free to do so, just like any other nationality,where is the need for this special initiative. Do you think that just because they come in their thousands we may aswell grant them some sort of preference over and above other nationalities. In this area I know a lot more about what goes on than you do, this idea would be a gross error. PaulieD you don't realise what is going on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Aidric wrote: »
    I slept with a Nigerian hooker in Amsterdam once for the pricely sum of 20 euros. As such I feel I'm compromised from commenting on this issue.

Good value, here in Ireland, the Government shags us as hard as possible and charges us for the pain.:rolleyes:

In this area I know a lot more about what goes on than you do, this idea would be a gross error. PaulieD you don't realise what is going on.

Care to enlighten me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Joe C

The number of Nigerian asylum seekers will not not drop in any way at all if this system was introduced, the state wouldn't save a shilling. The vast vast majority of Nigerians in this country have come to take advantage of an over generous welfare system, the now closed IBC loophole and the ability to delay any deportations with never ending judicial reviews. Any Nigerian who is interested in obtaining an Irish work visa is currnetly free to do so, just like any other nationality,where is the need for this special initiative. Do you think that just because they come in their thousands we may aswell grant them some sort of preference over and above other nationalities. In this area I know a lot more about what goes on than you do, this idea would be a gross error. PaulieD you don't realise what is going on.

Which agency do you work for then ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭RHunce

galwayrush wrote: »
    Lets build a bridge between Ireland and Nigeria, plenty of jobs then.:D

which will result in an economic boom or gaelic lion if you will :D

then we can hire more people to demolish it and this will be finished just in time for the gaelic lion to shatter as the celtic tiger did

• Advertisement

Joe C wrote: »
    Which agency do you work for then ?

It's not important which agency I work for. The important thing is that this isn't a good idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

dear sir madaam

you has one the ireland lottery.
    please emal me your bank details and pin number so we can put 3000000
    euro moneys into your accounts.

:)

after seeing ross kemp in search of pirattes part2
    nigeria looks like a s**thole so it would lead to alot of people applying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭useful_contacts

Speaking to the Nigerian paper, Vanguard, the Nigerian ambassador Dr.Kema Chikwe said she was working with the Irish government on a project to allow Nigerians to "come into Ireland through the front door".
    "Now, we are working on a project, consular-migrant project where Nigerians can come into Ireland through the front door and when you do it through front door, chances are that you are going to have the kind of Nigerians that will give Nigeria a good image. I am meeting with the minister of labour on that and I have discussed with NEPAD.

http://allafrica.com/stories/200905111411.html?page=2

What say you? Good idea? It makes sense to me, it would clampdown on "asylum seekers" coming here and instead, give people an opportunity to become economically viable rather than waiting for months on end in hostels for their claims to be heard.

hhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

no!:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭devereaux17

upset contact u seem rather upset about it, a bit over the top in my opinion. relax yeah.

its a terrible idea by the way because no non-eu nationality should get preference imo, be they chinese, americans, brazilians or canadians.

upset contact u seem rather upset about it, a bit over the top in my opinion. relax yeah.

its a terrible idea by the way because no non-eu nationality should get preference imo, be they chinese, americans, brazilians or canadians.

American citizens do, and rightfully so.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0315/cowenb.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭useful_contacts

upset ? no

Im just sick of no one in ireland talking english or irish anymore

I ask for a menu in a restaurant - i get back "I dont understand"

Meh!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭DubMedic

No, it should not be allowed imho.

Yes, there are some grand individuals ( however far and near ) in Nigeria who would do their country proud, but is that what it's about?.

Brian Cowen gtfo of office immediately.

On one hand we have people who can bring great qualifications with them etc etc.

However, this would mean they get to bring a family member with them and then more and more people arrive.

This country just isn't big enough for anymore people then there already is!. Our health system cannot cope.
    This is Not to mention the amount of foreign diseases and tropical illnesses these people would bring with them, along with the inevitable spongers & criminals!.

Don't get me wrong there might be good people, but they have to prove it before we hold up a big sign in the docklands saying '' come on in , we're open!'' .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Pop's Diner

I'm not racist but ...... oh never mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭DubMedic

shqipshume wrote: »
    Where is the work they are meant to get? anyone anyone?

May I ask you who serves you in McDonalds/BK?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭shqipshume

DubMedic wrote: »
    May I ask you who serves you in McDonalds/BK?.

Seen as i dont eat in them places i have no idea who serves you there :rolleyes:
    And those jobs should go to Irish people first and the people who are already here.We have a whole new group of sixth years and sixteen year olds this year who would like jobs to get them through college etc... so tell me why they should import new people for jobs that arent there?

Have u seen jobs there cause i havent been able to get a job anywhere :(

upset ? no

Meh!!!!

:rolleyes:

I love the way you put Irish down there, I bet 100 euro you do not speak Irish and if I was to speak to you(I'm fluent by the way) you wouldn't have a clue.

I see you support Liverpool as well, I think its a bit of a joke Irish people supporting English clubs but I wouldn't get that upset about it, you should be the same.

• Advertisement

:rolleyes:

I love the way you put Irish down there, I bet 100 euro you do not speak Irish and if I was to speak to you(I'm fluent by the way) you wouldn't have a clue.

I see you support Liverpool as well, I think its a bit of a joke Irish people supporting English clubs but I wouldn't get that upset about it, you should be the same.

Why ?

not to go offtopic but its absolutely crazy, the point of being a football fan is supporting your local team, the poster in question should be a Limerick City fan, not Liverpool. Liverpool fans who actually live in Liverpool find it quite odd when they see irish, chinese fans with their 'pool jerseys thinking their big fans.

usefal contacts probably has a bit in common with the nigerians she probably hates so much, maby she could be friends with some people who profess their love for liverpool in Lagos. ah yes the 'Irish-Nigerian Barstooling Association' what a way to bring people together ;)

not to go offtopic but its absolutely crazy, the point of being a football fan is supporting your local team, the poster in question should be a Limerick City fan, not Liverpool. Liverpool fans who actually live in Liverpool find it quite odd when they see irish, chinese fans with their 'pool jerseys thinking their big fans.

But Limerick City are ****e, why would anyone want to watch them ?

All Irish football is rubbish actually. If you're going to pay money and devote time to something it should be something you enjoy , shouldn't it ?

I take it your speaking from experience about the Scousers and their opinions on foreign fans ? How many times have you been to LIverpool ?

Why not support Barcelona then? Liverpool are hardly the most exciting team to watch.

Sure if thats the case then why don't we just get rid of all the leagues around europe and have a european super league, only barstoolers would support something like that, you wouldn't see anyone on the kop wanting this.

But anyway for people like you you're not really a football fan as such, you're happy to be entertained every week by looking at the tv sitting on your fatboy, perhaps the odd daytrip to anfield to watch stevie g and the likes. Different strokes and all that.

Quite a bit(been to Liverpool) one of the first questions I've been asked is who is your Irish team. remember these people would support liverpool if they were in the english 4th division, they don't support them to be 'entertained'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

American citizens do, and rightfully so.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0315/cowenb.html

True. Thank God they didn't have the same attitude as many on this thread during the Famine. We'd have been fecked.

usefal contacts probably has a bit in common with the nigerians she probably hates so much, maby she could be friends with some people who profess their love for liverpool in Lagos. ah yes the 'Irish-Nigerian Barstooling Association' what a way to bring people together ;)

No to foreign games! ;)

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Why not support Barcelona then? Liverpool are hardly the most exciting team to watch.

I refer you to the 4-4 draws against Arsenal and Chelsea and some of the other performances since Xmas. Stereotypes are Bad, bad, bad!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Sure if thats the case then why don't we just get rid of all the leagues around europe and have a european super league, only barstoolers would support something like that, you wouldn't see anyone on the kop wanting this.

But anyway for people like you you're not really a football fan as such, you're happy to be entertained every week by looking at the tv sitting on your fatboy, perhaps the odd daytrip to anfield to watch stevie g and the likes. Different strokes and all that.

Quite a bit(been to Liverpool) one of the first questions I've been asked is who is your Irish team.

I don't have an Irish team, they're all rubbish. The nearest one to me is Bray Wanderers I think.

I'd rather scoop my eyeballs out with a spoon than ever watch them again in the Carlisle.

K-9 wrote: »
    True. Thank God they didn't have the same attitude as many on this thread during the Famine. We'd have been fecked.

Yeah difference is there is Irish go there Americans come here,Its helping each other out.
    With Nigerians here wont have Irish going there so its taking in people and no where for the counter to go.

Its all relative though, I mean some of Pat's performances last season!!! Was like watching poetry in motion. I don't care though really, I mean I'd love to see a well attended domestic league but its not really that important. The craic of being a supporter is what makes me go every week not the football on the pitch. Sure if you deconstruct football enough its just 20 lads on a pitch kicking a piece of leather around.

shqipshume wrote: »
    Yeah difference is there is Irish go there Americans come here,Its helping each other out.
    With Nigerians here wont have Irish going there so its taking in people and no where for the counter to go.

Oh yes the great mass of German and English Americans who migrated to the USA only to return to this great isle in the 1850's:D

who knows how taking in nigerians now will payoff 150 years from now(using your analogy-irish famine 1850-today is 2009, americans weren't coming to live here in the 80's) check mate.

its a good way to increase the population anyway.

• Advertisement

Its all relative though, I mean some of Pat's performances last season!!! Was like watching poetry in motion. I don't care though really, I mean I'd love to see a well attended domestic league but its not really that important. The craic of being a supporter is what makes me go every week not the football on the pitch. Sure if you deconstruct football enough its just 20 lads on a pitch kicking a piece of leather around.

Aye but I'd prefer if Gerrard and Torres were part of the 20 lads I get to watch rather than fellas I went to school with

Oh yes the great mass of German and English Americans who migrated to the USA only to return to this great isle in the 1850's:D

who knows how taking in nigerians now will payoff 150 years from now(using your analogy-irish famine 1850-today is 2009, americans weren't coming to live here in the 80's) check mate.

its a good way to increase the population anyway.

How'd them Irish in the 1840's afford the boat fare? To echo another sentiment on this thread ;)

I mean, they couldn't have been asylum seekers could they?

who knows how taking in Nigerians now will payoff 150 years from now(using your analogy) check mate idiot

Use yours now ,It is not in best interest of Ireland to take in a whole load of Nigerians when we have no jobs and a whole new group of workers coming out of the schools.

And we will soon look like the ghetto slums of America because Ireland is to small to take so many immigrants:rolleyes:

I am thinking for mine kids and their kids futures and now is not the time for this.
    You're thinking with i am not a racist mind lol.
    I could care less if people think i am a racist for saying its not good or right for our country to take this on,as its not.;)

P.s is that what u want more people lol then move to a bigger country lol

who knows how taking in nigerians now will payoff 150 years from now(using your analogy-irish famine 1850-today is 2009, americans weren't coming to live here in the 80's) check mate.quote]

Its definitely paying off for the majority of Nigerians.

"
    Second in the list of foreign groups availing of free accommodation, courtesy of the State, are who? Citizens of fellow EU states, such as the Poles, the Latvians, the Czechs or Slovaks? No, indeed not. The people who come second in the rent-allowance league table are the Nigerians -- barely less than the British, with 3,024 claimants. But whereas the British figure constitutes just 2.7pc of the total population of Britons living here, the figure for Nigerians is 18.6pc of their total Irish population of 16,300. Alas, just how many more Nigerian dependents are the beneficiaries of the rent allowances that are being granted to the 3,024 family-heads, I cannot say.
    Now this reliance upon the state for the accommodation of so many Nigerians reflects another rather uncomfortable truth which was revealed in the 2006 census, but which has never -- so far as I know -- been highlighted in the media. It is this: contrary to almost all predictions about the impact of immigrants upon an economy, a majority of Nigerians are not economically active at all. For even at the height of the boom, in 2006, only 38pc over the age of 15 were at work".

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/columnists/kevin-myers/risible-lies-about-immigrants-no-substitute-for-honest-debate-1456226.html

*99.4% of Nigerian asylum seekers had their claims rejected. We need to nip this nonsense in the bud. Giving them x amount of visas per annum may be one way of stopping the problem. Or mass deportations.

Source http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/PR07000171

Nigerian Asylum Seekers
    A good deal of media comment has concentrated on the cases of individual Nigerian applicants and families.

In the case of asylum applications from Nigerian nationals, which represent the highest source country in terms of asylum applications (some 37% of applications in 2004 and 41% in 2005), comparative statistics also indicate that our recognition rate at first instance is very much in line with other European States which receive high volumes of applications from nationals of Nigeria.
    Ireland received the second highest number of asylum applications in main industrialised countries from nationals of Nigeria in 2004. The recognition rate at first instance for 2004 is as follows:
    Ireland 0.6%; Netherlands 0.6%; Austria 0.3%; Spain 0.1%
    Less than 1%, therefore, of all Nigerian national asylum seekers succeed at first instance in the European Union member states that receive most Nigerian applications.

How'd them Irish in the 1840's afford the boat fare? To echo another sentiment on this thread ;)

I mean, they couldn't have been asylum seekers could they?

Are you comparing middle class Nigerian "asylum seekers" with famine ravaged peasants?

Is there famine in Nigeria? Is there a war? Are they all fleeing from FGM?:confused:

Are you comparing middle class Nigerian "asylum seekers" with famine ravaged peasants?

Is there famine in Nigeria? Is there a war? Are they all fleeing from FGM?:confused:

Nope asked a specific question. Didn't mention anything else.

How'd the Irish during Famine times afford boat fares to cross the Atlantic?

Some achievement when you are starving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

upset ? no

Meh!!!!

Tipperary was like that before any foriegn nationals arrived ffs.

Nope asked a specific question. Didn't mention anything else.

How'd the Irish during Famine times afford boat fares to cross the Atlantic?

Some achievement when you are starving.

If you genuinely wanted to know you could have simply entered "coffin ships" into google. It would have taken you ten seconds. Instead, you are trying to make a silly point, while sneering at your own ancestors suffering. Not cool.

Have a read of this,
    http://www.historyplace.com/worldhistory/famine/coffin.htm

"
    During the Famine period, an estimated half-million Irish were evicted from their cottages. Unscrupulous landlords used two methods to remove their penniless tenants. The first involved applying for a legal judgment against the male head of a family owing back-rent. After the local barrister pronounced judgment, the man would be thrown in jail and his wife and children dumped out on the streets. A 'notice to appear' was usually enough to cause most pauper families to flee and they were handed out by the hundreds.
    The second method was for the landlord to simply pay to send pauper families overseas to British North America. Landlords would first make phony promises of money, food and clothing, then pack the half-naked people in overcrowded British sailing ships, poorly built and often unseaworthy, that became known as coffin ships."

A bit of a history lesson for you there, K-9. No need to thank me. Now, before you come back to me study the postings of PaulieD, there may be hope for you yet.;)

who knows how taking in nigerians now will payoff 150 years from now(using your analogy-irish famine 1850-today is 2009, americans weren't coming to live here in the 80's) check mate.quote]

Its definitely paying off for the majority of Nigerians.

"
    Second in the list of foreign groups availing of free accommodation, courtesy of the State, are who? Citizens of fellow EU states, such as the Poles, the Latvians, the Czechs or Slovaks? No, indeed not. The people who come second in the rent-allowance league table are the Nigerians -- barely less than the British, with 3,024 claimants. But whereas the British figure constitutes just 2.7pc of the total population of Britons living here, the figure for Nigerians is 18.6pc of their total Irish population of 16,300. Alas, just how many more Nigerian dependents are the beneficiaries of the rent allowances that are being granted to the 3,024 family-heads, I cannot say.
    Now this reliance upon the state for the accommodation of so many Nigerians reflects another rather uncomfortable truth which was revealed in the 2006 census, but which has never -- so far as I know -- been highlighted in the media. It is this: contrary to almost all predictions about the impact of immigrants upon an economy, a majority of Nigerians are not economically active at all. For even at the height of the boom, in 2006, only 38pc over the age of 15 were at work".

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/columnists/kevin-myers/risible-lies-about-immigrants-no-substitute-for-honest-debate-1456226.html

*99.4% of Nigerian asylum seekers had their claims rejected. We need to nip this nonsense in the bud. Giving them x amount of visas per annum may be one way of stopping the problem. Or mass deportations.

Source http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/PR07000171

Nigerian Asylum Seekers
    A good deal of media comment has concentrated on the cases of individual Nigerian applicants and families.
    In the case of asylum applications from Nigerian nationals, which represent the highest source country in terms of asylum applications (some 37% of applications in 2004 and 41% in 2005), comparative statistics also indicate that our recognition rate at first instance is very much in line with other European States which receive high volumes of applications from nationals of Nigeria.
    Ireland received the second highest number of asylum applications in main industrialised countries from nationals of Nigeria in 2004. The recognition rate at first instance for 2004 is as follows:
    Ireland 0.6%; Netherlands 0.6%; Austria 0.3%; Spain 0.1%
    Less than 1%, therefore, of all Nigerian national asylum seekers succeed at first instance in the European Union member states that receive most Nigerian applications.

OK PaulieD, so you know whats going on, your stats above prove it. Nigerians as a whole are of no benefit to this country whatsoever.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 496 ✭✭renraw

If this happens, I'm emigrating. The country is bad enough as it is! I'm starting to feel like a foreigner in my own country as it is :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭wingknot

Id refuse every asylum seeker from Nigeria. Still, it costs us 300 million euro per annum to deal with asylum seekers, now under these proposals it would make it easier for people from Nigeria to immigrate here, thus cutting down on asylum claims and saving the state money.

I would rather somebody coming here to work than somebody coming here to claim "asylum".

I would rather they tried another country as we cannot accommodate anymore people seeking to live and work here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

aint read all the posts, but as i have pointed out before, IN MY OPINION, the nigerians are the most ignorent and rudest people i have ever met. i have dealt with them a few times with work and also in other means, and every experience has been terrible. im sure they are some lovely people in the country and i am generalising, but i can only work off my own experience. i just feel that nigerians have 0 respect for anybody else.

bringing more in, would be a bad idea IMO, but this wont happen anyway. also, nigeria is looking like being one of the the next countries to be "explored" i believe by foreign multi-national companies, dont know why, but probably as its cheap labor there.

renraw wrote: »
    If this happens, I'm emigrating. The country is bad enough as it is! I'm starting to feel like a foreigner in my own country as it is :mad:

But then you would feel like a foreigner in a different country?:confused:

Fail to see the difference, but I kind of understand your point.

OK PaulieD, so you know whats going on, your stats above prove it. Nigerians as a whole are of no benefit to this country whatsoever.

It wouldnt bother me in the slightest if all failed asylum seekers where deported, however, we both know that will never happen. In my opinion this will cut down on economic migrants claiming "asylum" thus saving the state money. It costs us 300 million euro per annum to house and feed asylum seekers. Not to mention the the millions in benefits we pay those who get leave to remain. Can you offer a better solution?

If you genuinely wanted to know you could have simply entered "coffin ships" into google. It would have taken you ten seconds. Instead, you are trying to make a silly point, while sneering at your own ancestors suffering. Not cool.

Have a read of this,
    http://www.historyplace.com/worldhistory/famine/coffin.htm

"
    During the Famine period, an estimated half-million Irish were evicted from their cottages. Unscrupulous landlords used two methods to remove their penniless tenants. The first involved applying for a legal judgment against the male head of a family owing back-rent. After the local barrister pronounced judgment, the man would be thrown in jail and his wife and children dumped out on the streets. A 'notice to appear' was usually enough to cause most pauper families to flee and they were handed out by the hundreds.
    The second method was for the landlord to simply pay to send pauper families overseas to British North America. Landlords would first make phony promises of money, food and clothing, then pack the half-naked people in overcrowded British sailing ships, poorly built and often unseaworthy, that became known as coffin ships."

A bit of a history lesson for you there, K-9. No need to thank me. Now, before you come back to me study the postings of PaulieD, there may be hope for you yet.;)

You'd think Irish people would have a bit more cop than to use the "how'd they get to Ireland" line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭tinofapples

We would save money in the long term, we spend 300 million euro per annum on asylum seekers, a large proportion of asylum seekers are from Nigeria

Shocking given the state of our economy that we can spend money like this. A friends missus works in one of the banks and is sick to the teeth with lodgements/cheques that some of these people are receiving. Recently she mentioned a very large amount of money for refurnishing a house.

What I would really like to see before anything like this proposal was entertained is a a public report published showing once and for all what our friends are receiving from the state. Far too many stories doing the rounds and the truth would be nice to hear.

Then let the public decide on such a proposal.

You'd think Irish people would have a bit more cop than to use the "how'd they get to Ireland" line.

What are you on about? Have you taken my advice and studied the postings of PaulieD? Its seems you have not, there may be no hope for you, young grasshopper.:mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 496 ✭✭renraw

Shocking given the state of our economy that we can spend money like this. A friends missus works in one of the banks and is sick to the teeth with lodgements/cheques that some of these people are receiving. Recently she mentioned a very large amount of money for refurnishing a house.

What I would really like to see before anything like this proposal was entertained is a a public report published showing once and for all what our friends are receiving from the state. Far too many stories doing the rounds and the truth would be nice to hear.

Then let the public decide on such a proposal.

A mate of mine works in a furniture/carpet store in Waterford and we got chatting about stuff. He was telling me of a nigerian family who got an invoice for a 3 piece, carpets, beds etc for the Social welfare. The family then received a cheque for €3,500, thats unreal as another mate of mine who lost his job and was waiting for his dole to be processed and he went into the social welfare officer coz he could'nt afford the electricity bill. They told him straight out that because his claim was only being processed, they could only give him a small bit of cash, €70 :mad:. I also heard about another who actually, due to "mitigating circumstances?" was giving a large amount towards the purchase of car.

He said that he never felt soo small in his life because he had to queue for two hours and he's not a bullsh1tter and said that the amount of nigerians and somalians in the queue was just mad. I hope that they do find work because a lot of irish people will resent them if they don't even try. Where I work, I try to hire as many foreign nationals as I can. Not just because fas monitor all recruitment of minority's but that everyone deserves a chance. But in saying that, I rarely come across CV's from such minority's, even if they don't have experience, thats what training is about.

Change should be introduced gradually and not the way its happened over the last 5 years where we've had a massive influx of immigrants. Its a shock to the system and to the irish public because of the speed at which it happened. I'm dreading to think what state the country is going to be in in 10 years time.

renraw wrote: »
    Where I work, I try to hire as many foreign nationals as I can. Not just because fas monitor all recruitment of minority's but that everyone deserves a chance.

Why do you hire foreigners over a suitably qualified Irish national? Buy Irish, hire Irish.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

That is good for Nigeria but I dont see how it is benefiting us at all!
    As a previous post said this wont stop assymlum seekers coming in...just because they are making it legal for some to come in doesn't mean that there isn't still going to be illegal people coming in....I just do not understand this logic at all!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement