Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Calls for Ireland to open its borders to Nigerians!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 496 ✭✭renraw

PaulieD wrote: »
    Why do you hire foreigners over a suitably qualified Irish national? Buy Irish, hire Irish.;)

Sorry, i probably came across wrong there. I do hire in fairness the majority of Irish because of their skills/experience and of course the language barrier. But if a foreign national is qualified more on the applications and have good language skills, then its only fair to hire them. In saying that, they do cause a few problems and if any issues happen in work, the race card is thrown at ya straight away as a defence over something silly. That kind of puts me and alot of other companies off who practice a similar policy. You can be brought to a tribunal for a broken nail these days. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭devereaux17

'A FOREIGNER IN YOUR OWN COUNTRY' someone said, when does one stop becoming a foreigner. will people of non-white descent or with a non-irish sounding surname always be tarnished with this tag?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 932 ✭✭✭PaulieD

renraw wrote: »
    Sorry, i probably came across wrong there. I do hire in fairness the majority of Irish because of their skills/experience and of course the language barrier. But if a foreign national is qualified more on the applications and have good language skills, then its only fair to hire them. In saying that, they do cause a few problems and if any issues happen in work, the race card is thrown at ya straight away as a defence over something silly. That kind of puts me and alot of other companies off who practice a similar policy. You can be brought to a tribunal for a broken nail these days. :(

In these recessionary times, I only hire Irish. Sin e. The foreigners can return home, the Irish do not have that luxury. Charity starts at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

I don't think so...I think its obvious when people are Irish...it doesnt matter what colour their skin is...you can have a very non-Irish name aswel but once you are Irish you are Irish...in the sense that some people just give off an Irish vibe...ha I can't really explain it:o:pac:

'A FOREIGNER IN YOUR OWN COUNTRY' someone said, when does one stop becoming a foreigner. will people of non-white descent or with a non-irish sounding surname always be tarnished with this tag?

Its a sign of the times is all. I have to say I've seen a different side to a lot of my mates over the last few years in their opinion towards foreign nationals and they're not good comments. I'd talk to anyone and even strangers that bring the subject up, 90% of them are of the same opinion, all negative. I don't think it'll ever change because the teenagers are holding the same thoughts as adults. And the kids and teenagers are the future.

If you have an Irish mother or father you are Irish. If not, you are not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

Anyone else get the feeling that, with tension bubbling up and the govt unwilling to deal with uncontrolled immigration, that something serious is going to happen very soon?
    Perhaps that's what they're waiting for- they usually deal with stuff when a couple of hundred people have been killed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I think we should open our borders to the Nigerians.

It's morally wrong to be keeping them here against their will. Let them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭wingknot

Id refuse every asylum seeker from Nigeria. Still, it costs us 300 million euro per annum to deal with asylum seekers, now under these proposals it would make it easier for people from Nigeria to immigrate here, thus cutting down on asylum claims and saving the state money.

I would rather somebody coming here to work than somebody coming here to claim "asylum".
    Anyone else get the feeling that, with tension bubbling up and the govt unwilling to deal with uncontrolled immigration, that something serious is going to happen very soon?
    Perhaps that's what they're waiting for- they usually deal with stuff when a couple of hundred people have been killed.

a ticking timebomb

I reckon it's only around the corner. Resentment is getting worse by the day. I live in the middle of the city in Waterford and only last week, 3 foreign nationals from either Nigeria or somalia were hassling a couple of local guys, age about 16/17. Then two Irish guys came along and all hell broke lose. Needless ta say who came out the worst. I haven't a clue how it started but i think its a sign of things to come. That never sorts anything out but builds up tension and cause hatred, visious circle

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Papad

I think it would be just fabulous if the borders were opened up specifically to Nigerians. Ireland deserves it. Nigeria is one of the most corrupt places on the planet so where better for them to come in the millions but to dear auld Ireland. They will blend right in. Why do you think Nigerians specifically pick Ireland as their number one destination in Europe? Who elected the current batch of corrupt, self-serving politicians? 'Twas the Irish. So Nigerians understandably believe that they should live in a environment with the same 'values' as back home.

Italy, Iceland, Poland, Czech Rep are more corrupt in fairness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭useful_contacts

:rolleyes:

I love the way you put Irish down there, I bet 100 euro you do not speak Irish and if I was to speak to you(I'm fluent by the way) you wouldn't have a clue.

I see you support Liverpool as well, I think its a bit of a joke Irish people supporting English clubs but I wouldn't get that upset about it, you should be the same.

I dont care if your fluent , just because i am not fluent makes me less irish does it? And i can support who i want, never mind many liverpool people are of irish descendency( emigration during the famine 1845) But you go ahead and judge someone on the football team they follow... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Size=everything

Hey PaulieD I have a question,

Why are almost all of your posts since you joined boards.ie about race,immigration and religon? Trying to stir the pot?

Hey PaulieD I have a question,

Why are almost all of your posts since you joined boards.ie about race,immigration and religon? Trying to stir the pot?

I see you have had a productive Sunday afternoon, studying the postings of PaulieD. You will go far! Mazel Tov!

I see you have had a productive Sunday afternoon, studying the postings of PaulieD. You will go far! Mazel Tov!

Just having a quick look through it barely takes a minute.

You still haven't answered my question though?

Just having a quick look through it barely takes a minute.

You still haven't answered my question though?

As it is a concern of mine. Not trying to stir anything. Have you anything else to add to the discussion.

As it is a concern of mine. Not trying to stir anything. Have you anything else to add to the discussion.

I just find it odd that you seem to be so obsessed with people's race, nationality and religon. Why is that?

I just find it odd that you seem to be so obsessed with people's race, nationality and religon. Why is that?

I posted one comment about religion.
    None on race.
    A hundred odd on immigration.

Hardly an obsession. Again I ask, have you anything to contribute to the topic? If you want to interrogate me do so by PM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

We need a green card system asap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭TaxiManMartin

Why are you so obsessed with PaulieD. Thats unhealthy. You should get a life.

I posted one comment about religion.
    None on race.
    A hundred odd on immigration.

Hardly an obsession. Again I ask, have you anything to contribute to the topic? If you want to interrogate me do so by PM.

In one thread you argue that you dont want any muslims in Ireland as the muslim religon is backwards and they are all nuts in your opinion. Recently in the South Africa Rape thread you claim that Africans need to sort themselves out making out as if Africans tend to be rapists (nothing to do with the extreme poverty and lack of education...) and suprise, suprise you are extremely anti-immigration, right wing and support the BNP party. So it strikes me as weird that you start a thread supporting the idea of open borders for Nigerians. Some would you say your trying to rile people up whilst not letting your true agenda seep through....

IMO.

Lone Stone wrote: »
    We need a green card system asap.

We have a work permit system in place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

We have a work permit system in place.

Not that it's any good or enforced.

In one thread you argue that you dont want any muslims in Ireland as the muslim religon is backwards and they are all nuts in your opinion. Recently in the South Africa Rape thread you claim that Africans need to sort themselves out making out as if Africans tend to be rapists (nothing to do with the extreme poverty and lack of education...) and suprise, suprise you are extremely anti-immigration, right wing and support the BNP party. So it strikes me as weird that you start a thread supporting the idea of open borders for Nigerians. Some would you say your trying to rile people up whilst not letting your true agenda seep through....

IMO.

Show me where I said I supported the BNP, please do.

The one in four South African Men are rapists thread? Yep, I stand by them comments, Africas politicians need to start working together on many issues, otherwise Africa will not change.

I am anti mass immigration. We have always had immigration into Ireland. It is natural. Mass immigration is not. It is just transfering cheap labour from east to west.

I posted one quote from The Turkish Prime Minister, The mosques are our barracks, the domes our helmets, the minarets our bayonets and the faithful our soldiers... if that makes me anti islamic in your view,fine.

I have explained five times now, why I would support giving Nigeria x amount of visas per annum as in my opinion it would cut down on asylum fraud by Nigerian nationals. In fact, I would include that in any treaty between the Irish and Nigerian government. No more asylum seekers, but x amount of visas. Asylum costs us 300 million euro per annum, we would save money in the long term.

But please, continue playing the race card.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I'm starting to feel like a foreigner in my own country as it is :mad:
    I don't believe you. And yeah, LOL at you emigrating being a solution to feeling like you're a foreigner in your own country. :D
    A mate of mine works in a furniture/carpet store in Waterford and we got chatting about stuff. He was telling me of a nigerian family who got an invoice for a 3 piece, carpets, beds etc for the Social welfare. The family then received a cheque for €3,500, thats unreal as another mate of mine who lost his job and was waiting for his dole to be processed and he went into the social welfare officer coz he could'nt afford the electricity bill. They told him straight out that because his claim was only being processed, they could only give him a small bit of cash, €70 :mad:. I also heard about another who actually, due to "mitigating circumstances?" was giving a large amount towards the purchase of car.
    That system, which I find very difficult to believe (it always seems to be based on anecdotes from people who have an axe to grind) is a sh1t one... so you blame the government who set it up, not the people who take advantage of it.
    Again, I have to ask: why would our government care about foreigners more than Irish people? It's hardly out of the good of their hearts or to be "PC".
    said that the amount of nigerians and somalians in the queue was just mad. I hope that they do find work because a lot of irish people will resent them if they don't even try.
    Well, not finding work in this climate isn't the same as not even trying. And a lot of Irish people will resent them if they do find work also.

SV wrote: »
    Not that it's any good or enforced.

And a green card system would be enforced?

Dudess wrote: »
    Well, not finding work in this climate isn't the same as not even trying. And a lot of Irish people will resent them if they do find work also.

At the height of the boom only 38% of Nigerians where in employment. That does not include asylum seekers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Why nigeria?
    If we're going to open our borders it should be to people that everybody doesnt hate.

Degsy wrote: »
    Why nigeria?
    If we're going to open our borders it should be to people that everybody doesnt hate.

As we could then work with the Nigerian government to clamp down on asylum fraud.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

What are you on about? Have you taken my advice and studied the postings of PaulieD? Its seems you have not, there may be no hope for you, young grasshopper.:mad:

Nah, I 'd have a different take to it, going on your posts.

When people are in extreme poverty or dire circumstances they can still raise money by any means to get out of a country.

Now Nigeria doesn't have a Famine or such a disaster, as you pointed out. Neither has Ireland for 160 years and since the foundation of the state emigration to the US was economic migration, often illegal. Even in the grim old 80's people still managed to scrape together a couple of thousands Punts to get out, not an unsubstantial amount. So that's an answer to the oft asked "How can they afford to come here?" Question.

Nice strawman earlier about sneering at my ancestors. Always gets the emotional support those type of strawmen.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

Can Nigerians not apply for visas like everyone else? Short of Nigeria joining the EU how more can we facilitate those who want to come here to work?

My only problem with opening the borders as suggested is will we really know who is actually coming in given the well documented issue of forged passports and other identification certificates!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭jackson2009

ghanians are lovely people

Degsy wrote: »
    Why nigeria?
    Brazilians?

Brazilians?

Start a breeding programme for the next generation of Irish players? Id be up for that. In fact, it would be my patriotic duty.

Footballers and arse-jiggling women :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭KINGVictor

ghanians are lovely people

So are Nigerians,Brazillians,Irish and the other good people of the world.
    I personally would find it very shallow to qualify a whole group of people because of the actions of a minute part of the group.
    There are over 150 million Nigerians ...how many Nigerians, have most people making judgements on this thread met in their life...very neglible number in terms of the whole population of Nigeria.

I have met some Nigerians that are I believed were very rude especially in the tone of their voice..but I think it is essential we understand the idiosyncracies of these people before we judge them.I believe it is pertinent to judge people as individuals, rather than use our personal experiences as a common denominator to percieve the entire group.

I have met horrible Nigerians just as I have come across very nice Nigerians and I have equally had similar experiences with other nationalities.

Coming to the OP's query ...I personally think it is a non-issue as the scheme was suggested by the Nigerian ambasador and in a Nigerian newspaper ...this has no bearing on the Irish government and honestly has nothing to do with us...This would be a matter for policy makers to debate on and decide if it indeed ever surfaced as a proposal or discussion.

Yes there is nice Nigerians and bad Nigerians, I firmly believe that the good Nigerians should be given equal opportunity and the bad ones have no place here.

Yes there is nice Nigerians and bad Nigerians, I firmly believe that the good Nigerians should be given equal opportunity and the bad ones have no place here.

Absolutely true...but it should inherently be the same for every immigrant regardless of their nationality...singling out a particular nation would be akin to discrimination.

Yeah I was just using Nigerians as they seem to be the nationality that get the most abuse. Its kinda sad because many have children who are now in school and tarnished with this reputation. :( it makes me sad. like that poster saying anyone who does not have an irish father or mother is a foreigner. :(

Why can't we brand the bad people who happen to Nigerian simply as bad people, why must nationality come into it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Without even reading this thread, i just say no.

We are already EXTREMELY uncomfortable with the mixes of people coming over, most of which we dont associate with outside of a work situation.

And no, i dont care about what it would or wouldnt do for the economy or the nations image. America tells these people to f-off at their borders and it is no coincidence that this is the most successful country out there.

Sorry if that sounds bad, but im not one to hold back on what i believe in

Yeah I was just using Nigerians as they seem to be the nationality that get the most abuse. Its kinda sad because many have children who are now in school and tarnished with this reputation. :( it makes me sad. like that poster saying anyone who does not have an irish father or mother is a foreigner. :(

Why can't we brand the bad people who happen to Nigerian simply as bad people, why must nationality come into it?

Of course you are a foreigner if you do not have Irish parents. How does this make you sad? If my girlfriend gives birth to a child when on holiday in Spain does that make my child Spanish? Of course not.

We are already EXTREMELY uncomfortable with the mixes of people coming over, most of which we dont associate with outside of a work situation.

And no, i dont care about what it would or wouldnt do for the economy or the nations image. America tells these people to f-off at their borders and it is no coincidence that this is the most successful country out there.

I think the underlined sentence effectively makes you incapable of making any sense ..you would only be able to express any prejudgements you hold.

Of course you are a foreigner if you do not have Irish parents. How does this make you sad? If my girlfriend gives birth to a child when on holiday in Spain does that make my child Spanish? Of course not.

Paulie..you are correct..but you are quoting him out of context.
    Every country has every right to decide who becomes a citizen..according to their ethos ...as such the US grants citizenship to everyone born on their soil and Ireland doesn't...neither country is right or wrong..it depends on their beliefs and constitution.

The arguement is judging people on the basis of their nationality and not considering individuality which I feel should be paramount ,especially considering the number of posts castigating people from a particular country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

KINGVictor wrote: »
    So are Nigerians,Brazillians,Irish and the other good people of the world.
    I personally would find it very shallow to qualify a whole group of people because of the actions of a minute part of the group.
    There are over 150 million Nigerians ...how many Nigerians, have most people making judgements on this thread met in their life...very neglible number in terms of the whole population of Nigeria.
    In fairness, this is Sparta Ireland. You can't get much worse than the Irish and in all fairness they stole our jobs/women.

To recap. I don't give a flying Tamagotchi where their from their stealing my job and I'll fight them on the beaches... So on, so forth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭DubMedic

ScumLord wrote: »
    In fairness, this is Sparta Ireland. You can't get much worse than the Irish and in all fairness they stole our jobs/women.

To recap. I don't give a flying Tamagotchi where their from their stealing my job and I'll fight them on the beaches... So on, so forth.

Funniest AH post today tbh.

But sadly true.

/sets off with angry mob ( wielding plastic forks instead of pitchforks ) to weed out wimminz stealers.

KINGVictor wrote: »
    Paulie..you are correct..but you are quoting him out of context.
    Every country has every right to decide who becomes a citizen..according to their ethos ...as such the US grants citizenship to everyone born on their soil and Ireland doesn't...neither country is right or wrong..it depends on their beliefs and constitution.

The arguement is judging people on the basis of their nationality and not considering individuality which I feel should be paramount ,especially considering the number of posts castigating people from a particular country.

Lets cut to the chase. We both know many Nigerians are taking the pee with their asylum claims. We both know that only a very very small number will be ever deported.

Now, why not scrap the whole asylum process from Nigeria into Ireland and give them x amount of visas per annum? It would save Ireland vasts amount of money, 300 million euro per annum spent on housing asylum seekers and processing their claims. Also, I am sure the majority of Nigerians would rather be working and earning money instead of wasting months upon months of their lives in hostels. I can only imagine how frustrating it is living like that.

Everyone is a winner, no more of this asylum nonsense and fraudulent claims, instead a small number of Nigerians can come here legally and contribute to society. No more long drawn out court cases at the expense of the taxpayer. No more children deported from a country they grew up in. Anything is better than the present farce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭cruiser178

+1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

This is so embarrassing but I went to the jacks 15 minutes ago and I'm only after realizing just now I have had no pants on since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Visa's doesn't stop it either. USA being an example.

Mastercard is better anyway.

"If only everything in life was like the the Irish asylum seeker process"

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement