Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The occasionally updated Wolverhamtpon Wanderers thread

• 20-06-2009 11:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

I felt it would be remiss not to have one :)

So far Wolves has signed Serbian international Nenad Milijas for 2.5 million subject to work permit clearance, have signed free Reading stopper Marcus Hahnemann while striker Sylvan Ebanks-Blake has signed a new deal which runs till end of 2012/13 season. SE-B has been the Championship top scorer for last two seasons with 37 goals in 61 games since joining Wolves.

Kevin Doyle is possibly on verge of signing for around 6.5 million, not sure what to make of this. He might as well have taken the last 6 months of last season off so few goals did he score. If it happens then hopefully a change of scenery and the more "motivational" style of manager from Mick McCarthy will spark him into life.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

I've been examining their fixture schedule, and I think out of all the promoted sides they have the best chance of staying up, not to mention they've some far better players too. And at last we get to see what this SEB lad is like!

West Ham (H)
    Wigan (A)
    Man City (A)
    Hull (H)

Followed by Blackburn, Fulham and Sunderland.

Not a bad opening two months, don't play their first "Big 4" team until November, which is Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭fh041205

Spending big by the looks of things. I hope Mick doesn't replace half of teh championship team. What are the prospects for the irish lads, Ward, Foley?

Foley in particular i'd like to see play in the premiership. Might give him a shout at a place in the ireland team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Ward, Foley and Keogh should all be safe I'd say. Certainly Foley is a star defender in the making, Wolves fans gave him over 50% of all votes in the player of the season awards.

He can fix that tricky RB problem for Trap in time for next summer :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭fh041205

I've only seen him play once or twice, but I like the chap. He could be a big player for Ireland in the future espicially given the right-back problem at the moment. Really tough run in for Wolves......

A Tottenham
    A Man Utd
    H Burnley
    A Liverpool
    H Man City

Usually the relegation threatened teams would pick up a good few points in the last few games but I can't see Wolves doing that.

Easyish start though so they'll have to make hay when they can.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

The Dingles are lucky. with seasoned yo-yo'ers Birmingham, newbies Burnley and at least one of Stoke/Hull likely to succumb to 2nd season symdrome, Wolves stand at least a decent chance of not going straight back down.

Doyle was injured ot playing out of position apparently during his bad run.

Wolves on edge of signing one time Wenger target Ronald Zubar defender who plays with Olympic Marseille
    The Premier League new boys are believed to have agreed a fee in the region of £2.5million for the unsettled central defender.

The Guadeloupe-born stopper is due to arrive at Molineux for talks and a medical on Thursday as Wolves look to tie up his signature.

Zubar has been told he can leave Stade Velodrome as he does not figure in Didier Deschamps' long-term plans and Wolves have moved quickly to snap up the 23-year-old.

Wolves boss Mick McCarthy has made defensive reinforcements one of his top priorities and he sees Zubar's signature as a key addition to his squad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Kevin Doyle has signed from Reading. A nice buy striker with Premier league experience in the height of his career hopefully have as good a season as his first with Reading in the top flight

Wow! We mean business! Or Doyle is off his rocker and should have signed for Fulham. ;)

edit I canny find this news anywhere.

edit edit seems its on SSN ticker. PC tomorrow morning.

edit edit edit seems Wolves are alss in for Croatian MF Jerko Leko who, with that name better be good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

mike65 wrote: »
    Wow! We mean business! Or Doyle is off his rocker and should have signed for Fulham. ;)

edit I canny find this news anywhere.

edit edit seems its on SSN ticker. PC tomorrow morning.

edit edit edit seems Wolves are alss in for Croatian MF Jerko Leko who, with that name better be good.

good to seem them getting some big name signings and hopefully it shows there intent i can see them being the overachievers this year especially with two teams who could very well hit second season syndrome (Hull especially if the second half of last season is anything to go by

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Doyle to Wolves

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2009/0630/wolves.html
    Wolves have made a statement of intent ahead of their return to the Barclays Premier League by clinching the signing of sought-after striker Kevin Doyle.
    The Republic of Ireland frontman has been brought in from Reading for an undisclosed fee, although reports this morning suggested he would cost Wanderers a club-record £6.5million.
    According to Wolves they beat off competition from other top-flight clubs to recruit the 25-year-old, who has signed a four-year contract at Molineux.

Doyle, who signed for the Royals from Cork City for a nominal fee in 2005, scored 55 goals in 163 games for the Berkshire club.

The Wexfordman revealed he had been impressed by the swiftness of Wolves' approach.
    'Wolves were the first club that actually came in and settled things with Reading and so they were the first club I spoke to,' Doyle told the Wolverhampton Wanderers website:
    'I was expecting a long summer but Wolves were in straight away. It was nice to see how keen they were and when I came in and met the manager I just got on really well with him. I had a good easy conversation with him and it felt right.'
    Doyle added: 'I spoke to the manager and chief executive over a week ago and came to the training ground to see everything.
    I've been making my mind up over the last couple of weeks and am just really pleased the decision has been made.
    'The facilities here are top class and it's great to be going back into the Premier League again. I'm sad to be leaving Reading because I had some great years there but I'm going with their blessing as well which is nice. This is a fresh start.'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Kevin Doyle is possibly on verge of signing for around 6.5 million, not sure what to make of this. He might as well have taken the last 6 months of last season off so few goals did he score. If it happens then hopefully a change of scenery and the more "motivational" style of manager from Mick McCarthy will spark him into life.

I know you can argue he has gone off the boil goalwise in the championship (well its not an argument in fact) but I would certainly not say he has been lifeless or anything like it. He is generally an excellent grafter even when the goals aren't flowing.

Delighted Doyle has gotten out of the Championship. Would have preferred a slightly better bet than Wolves (no offence!). However, if they were the only team willing to pay then fair play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

yeah wishing Doyle all the best, a pity he has to put up with that stain of a manager.

Lets keep this smiley faces and positive for now eh? Mick McCarthy has done zero wrong since taking over at Wolves.

Tbh I blame three parties for Saipan, I think it is unbelievably childish and simplistic to only blame one.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

noodler wrote: »
    Tbh I blame three parties for Saipan, I think it is unbelievably childish and simplistic to only blame one.

please dont ruin the wolves thread.... i know its not your intention with that comment but please folks dont mention that place again, let the past be the past.

so Doyle eh? hopefully itl be a good move where he starts all games when fit and doesent get shoved out to the wing as happend at times at Reading if he hadnt scored for a few games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

sorry my comments were nothing to do with Saipan I just can't stand his personality/ lack of intelligence when he tries to be a pundit.

please dont ruin the wolves thread.... i know its not your intention with that comment but please folks dont mention that place again, let the past be the past.

so Doyle eh? hopefully itl be a good move where he starts all games when fit and doesent get shoved out to the wing as happend at times at Reading if he hadnt scored for a few games

Thats fair enough - I was only assuming it was the reason for the McCarthy hate anyway, could be wrong.

I hope Wolves manage to follow through with these targets - hate to see Ireland's most important striker (imo anyway) back in the same situation next year.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

with Stoke, Hull, Burnley and Birmingham also involved next year id actually be fairley confident of Wolves staying up considering the targets they have been going after and that they have already signed (Doyle). Of course its v very early

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

noodler wrote: »
    I know you can argue he has gone off the boil goalwise in the championship (well its not an argument in fact) but I would certainly not say he has been lifeless or anything like it. He is generally an excellent grafter even when the goals aren't flowing.

He got 18 goals last season which wasn't bad. Hopefully he has the same confidence coming up as he did in his first Premiership season with Reading.

Ebanks-Blake got 25 goals with Iwelumo getting 14. Looks like Wolves have a fair bit of fire-power anyway. Read on another thread they were signing Jermaine Beckford as well, has that happened?

• Advertisement

He was never on the radar as far as I know, there is long list of clubs interested in him though. Clearly with the striker options Wolves now have (Ebanks-Blake/Doyle/Keogh/Iwelumo/Vokes) he'd be over-egging the pudding when money needs to be spent on some wide back up.

Another day another well regarded talant signed up
    Wolves have continued building their squad ahead of the new Premier League season with the capture of the Southampton midfielder Andrew Surman. The 22-year-old has left his boyhood club for a seven-figure fee, believed to be £1.2m, to give the debt-ridden Saints a vital cash injection.

Surman has signed a three-year deal at Molineux with the option of a further 12 months. "This is a great move for me and I'm really excited," he told the official website. "To come to a Premier League club and one as big as Wolves is fantastic. Even in the Championship Wolves is a huge club which you can tell just from the stadium and the fanbase.

"The facilities are there and ready for the Premier League and with Wolves now there I certainly wasn't going to turn down this opportunity. Any player strives to play at the highest level and you don't get any higher than the Premier League. This is a fantastic chance for me to try and prove myself in the Premier League and obviously try and help Wolves do well in the Premier League."

The former England under-21 international was born in Johannesburg but raised in Southampton. He made 48 appearances for Saints in the Championship in 2008-2009, when they were relegated, and scored seven goals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Read this morning that Wolves will be playing a friendly with Wexford Youths, but date not confirmed.

Another day another signing, defender Greg Halford from Sunderland who spent last season on loan at Sheffield Utd. He is a 2 million pound back up for Kevin Foley in effect. Clearly money is no object this time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Mike, you're the life of this thread.

/closet Mick McCarthy fan

You can count the number of Wolves fans in Ireland on two hands I'd say. ;)

Milijas gets clearance so thats boosted the MF options nicely.

Random starting 11

Hennessey
    Foley-Stearman-Berra-Elokobi
    Kightly--Milijas-Henry---Jarvis
    E/Blake-Doyle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

i have to say i like mick and rate him highly as a manager he is doing a brilliant job with wolves as well. also seems to be making a nice few crafty signing id say they will stay up

Jebus H Crisps another one.
    LONDON, July 4 (Reuters) - Wolverhampton Wanderers have signed Olympique Marseille's former France under-21 defender Ronald Zubar on a four-year deal, the club said on Saturday.

The 24-year-old, who has joined for an undisclosed fee, became the sixth signing of the close season for the Premier League newcomers and their fourth in the last week.
    "Ronald is a quick powerful defender who has played for the French under-21s and has got Champions League experience as well," Wolves manager Mick McCarthy was quoted as saying on the club's official website (www.wolves.co.uk).

Born in Guadeloupe, centre back Zubar started his career with Caen before moving to Marseille in 2006.

Mick must have more money than Roy had at Sunderland ;)

Michael Mancienne could be rejoining on a season long loan from Chelsea, he did quite well I understand even if he didn't cover himself in glory with the U21 side.

• Advertisement

James McCarthy may be joining Wolves, Wigan also in for him.

Whats he like?

edit! Just spotted other thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

James McCarthy may be joining Wolves, Wigan also in for him.

Whats he like?

hes got his own thread on boards.ie so he has to be good.

dont rate him myself but hopefully proved wrong if he ever plays for ireland.

Steve Finnan to Wolves? He left Liverpool with an injury that he never got over last season. Sounds like a risk to me.

http://www.eatsleepsport.com/wolverhampton/wolves-eye-former-liverpool-ace-924868.html

Actual signing news, or re-signing really.

Michael Mancienne of Chelsea is on a season loan, having spent 2 months at Molineux last winter.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/w/wolverhampton_wanderers/8199799.stm

:(

Hard to judge anything too firmly from a highlights reel but clearly some slack defending going on today. Whats the story with Doyle? He was "fit" enough to start for Ireland. Trap should stay away from players until they are proven to be okay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

:(

Hard to judge anything too firmly from a highlights reel but clearly some slack defending going on today. Whats the story with Doyle? He was "fit" enough to start for Ireland. Trap should stay away from players until they are proven to be okay.

iirc mick wanted doyle to play the other night to help improve his fitness, trap didnt think he was available but mick wanted him to play so they came to an agreement

• Advertisement

I see, that worked well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

You can count the number of Wolves fans in Ireland on two hands I'd say. ;)

I know one hehe. Father of a mate is one but in the 80's the jersey/crest always had a soft spot for.

yay off the mark at the second time of asking.

edited BBC report
    Wolves produced a battling performance to clinch their first win of the season thanks to Andy Keogh's early header.
    Keogh had already curled a shot against the angle of post and bar when he rose to meet Nenad Milijas's free-kick and nod past Wigan keeper Chris Kirkland.

Charles N'Zogbia wasted a great chance to level when he ran clear before shooting straight at Wayne Hennessey.
    Wigan dominated after the break but the closest they came to an equaliser was when Scott Sinclair headed wide.

Keogh has his critics on the terraces for failing to match his work ethic and creative instincts with goals but on this occasion he quickly showed he knows where the net is.

The Republic of Ireland international had been unlucky to see his shot hit the woodwork in Wolves' first attack but, just two minutes later, he put them in front.
    Milijas hoisted a long free-kick into the Wigan area and Keogh rose above Paul Scharner to nod downwards past Kirkland and into the bottom corner, via the same post that had previously denied him.

Wolves' set-pieces were causing their hosts all sorts of problems and could have had led to a second goal when a Milijas corner was flicked on by Keogh only for Greg Halford to volley wildly over.
    At the other end Wigan were struggling to create a meaningful chance and it was only towards half-time that they threatened an equaliser.

Wigan continued their improvement at the start of the second half, with Hugo Rodallega curling a free-kick straight at Hennessey after Richard Stearman fouled Jason Koumas.
    But Wolves were still looking dangerous and felt they should have had a penalty when Keogh fell after turning Titus Bramble in the area - manager Mick McCarthy was less than happy at Mick Jones's decision to book his player for diving rather than award a spot-kick.

Only a well-timed Karl Henry tackle stopping sub Jason Scotland from firing home an equaliser and Hennessey recovering just in time to deny the Trinidad and Tobago international after spilling Scharner's long-range shot.
    By now, the visitors were hanging on but, when Sinclair nodded wide from a Jordi Gomez cross, Wigan's last chance was gone.

Wolves did not manage a single away win in their last campaign in the top-flight, 2003/04, which ended in relegation. The industry and endeavour they showed here will give them hope of avoiding the same fate this season

* Wayne Hennessey,
    * Stephen Ward, S,
    * Jody Craddock,
    * Richard Stearman,
    * Michael Mancienne,
    * Nenad Milijas (David Jones, Dav, 56),
    * Matt Jarvis,
    * Karl Henry,
    * David Edwards,
    * Greg Halford (Andrew Surman, 65),
    * Andy Keogh (Sam Vokes, 81)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

Well done tonight Wolves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

Good win last night! As the report says, an early win, and an away win, that should keep statto type journalism at bay for a few weeks at least and let the players concentrate on the football matters.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Hi Lads, I'm the PRO for Wexford Youths Supporters Club and am interested to hear how many of you intend to come over for the friendly, whenever it is arranged?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭ADTR

So, why did everyone pick Wolves to support?

Dunno that many have!

I happen to have very strong family reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭ADTR

Dunno that many have!

I happen to have very strong family reasons.

Cool. I was just asking why people in the thread had chosen Wolves. I've always been kind of a fan cause I had a cousin live over there for years. Maybe I'll finally go get a jersey. Nice to see them back in Premiership. Narrow 1 - 0 loss to City yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 446 ✭✭evillive

ADTR wrote: »

am Irish but born there, dad started bringing me to games from ages 6 - 10 til we came home and thats where the obsession all started. still have folks over there, my cousin played youths but didnt make the grade in the end and my uncle and aunt have a deal with the club where they provide digs for 2 of the underage players from ireland every year. most dont make it, they did look after Mark Clyde who played a few games for Northern Ireland before retiring young!

this year while we have been headless at the back a few times so far our style of attacking is beginning to look better in the prem than last year. so far Matt Jarvis and Andy Keogh have impressed me. Keogh really has to put the work in to keep his place on the team with Sylvan, Big Chris and Kightly to come back from injury.

Trap was at the city of Manchester game the other day and while the papers report he was there to see/meet stephen ireland he had to be impressed with each of Keogh,Doyle and Ward

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

ADTR wrote: »

I dont support them, but have an interest in them as i work in black country so I got to keep up with the locals!

Wolves bag 500,000 for the sale of Lescott to City (sell-on clause)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

Wolves bag 500,000 for the sale of Lescott to City (sell-on clause)

Excellent. It will all help :D

Just been reading some coments that suggest the sell on is actually 25% that would be about 1.3 million. I doubt Everton would have agreed to such a generous deal.

Wolverhampton: Hennessey, Stearman, Craddock, Mancienne, Elokobi, Halford, Henry, Milijas, Jarvis, Doyle, Keogh.
    Subs: Hahnemann, Edwards, Surman, David Jones, Berra, Vokes, Zubar.

Hull: Myhill, Zayatte, Turner, Mouyokolo, Dawson, Ghilas, Olofinjana, Kilbane, Hunt, Geovanni, Folan.
    Subs: Warner, Fagan, Barmby, Altidore, Halmosi, Boateng, Cooper.

I guess this counts as one of them must win 6 pointers....

• Advertisement
Advertisement