Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The occasionally updated Wolverhamtpon Wanderers thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭fh041205

Mike, I heard (just a rumour) that the clause was 25% of any profit they make on the original deal. Sounds more plausable to me anyway. So since yesterday was a 6 pointer, do we both get 3? That would be nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

:D

Pity the chances are not getting put away, SEB and Kightly should help put that right. Hopefully they'll be back after the international break.

Here's an interesting one, Nikola Zigic has been mentioned. Wolves have a Serbian playmaker so I wonder has he put the word out. Zigic is a proven goalscorer (except at Valencia from whom he got loaned out last season) and at 6'7" would deffo be a potent option.

Actual signing, loan with option to buy - Segundo Castillo who was on loan at Everton last season.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/w/wolverhampton_wanderers/8230280.stm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭craiginireland

mike65 wrote: »
    Actual signing, loan with option to buy - Segundo Castillo who was on loan at Everton last season.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/w/wolverhampton_wanderers/8230280.stm

He's a good buy for McCarthy. Decent player. Was fantastic for us against Chelsea last year and scored a cracker against Standard Liege as well.

Surprised that he's "on loan" since Red Star released him earlier in the summer.

Good luck getting shorts that fit him, he's got legs like tree trunks!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Whats the latest on Ebanks-Blake? Have him in my fantasy team and I dont want to sell him, as I think he's quality. But if its long term I might have to.

He'll be back for the next league game by the looks of it. Meantime Wolves have signed yet another striker, unfortunatly its not Nikola Zigic the one I was hoping for but Austrian "lanky git" Stefan Maierhofer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

He'll be back for the next league game by the looks of it. Meantime Wolves have signed yet another striker, unfortunatly its not Nikola Zigic the one I was hoping for but Austrian "lanky git" Stefan Maierhofer.

Mike how do you get on the podcasts all the time?

I can never find the football weekly forum.

My inmate charm I guess? ;)

The podcast chat is via this page just click the pod article in question (and register to contibute of course)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

My inmate charm I guess? ;)

The podcast chat is via this page just click the pod article in question (and register to contibute of course)

oh how many years did you get?

I was given life for brokering Oleh Luzhnys signing. I'm sorry. :pac:

Wolves 2 - 1 Fulham

Goals from Kevin Doyle and Dave Edwards. Danny Murphy for Fulham from the spot.

Wolves first home win comes as Mick McCarthy pretty much has his entire squad up and running. From reports and MOTD2 it appears that Wolves played a high tempo pressing game very much in the "do or die" style that charactarised much of last seasons Championship winning form.

Things get interesting now with so many attacking players now looking for a start, they team usually plays 4-4-2 and is better when doing so none the less that still means Ebanks-Blake, Doyle, Vokes, Maierhofer and Keogh all looking for a start with Chris Iwelumo still to return.

The League Cup away to Manchester Utd will be a good test of squad depth, will Mick play a first 11 and risk injury before the visit to Sunderland or mix and match?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

The Return of Kevin Doyle

Wexford Youths play Wolves in a mid-season friendly at Ferrycarrig Park, Wexford on Monday 2nd November at 7.30pm. The match is expected to be all ticket and go on sale at our home game V Limerick tomorrow, 2/10

Further information will be posted on our website www.wexfordyouthsfc.com later tonight (1/10)

More info to follow

Wexford Youths would like to extend a warm welcome to the players, management and fans of Wolverhampton Wanderers who have come over to play us tonight at Ferrycarrig Park

I hope it is a great night for everone and that the rain eases up a bit:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Well what ye think of Wolves chances of staying up?

Im not so sure. Really taught Mick would do better job so far

• Advertisement

I think they are doing pretty well, started slowly (too many forwards crocked) but while
    the goals are still slow to come, three tough ties all drawn (Everton away, Villa home, Stoke away) speaks well to me of fighting spirit. With all the strikers now back and getting fitter/sharper by the game I think they can stay above water - the next few months are tough with all the big boys to be played but then it gets easier (on paper). If they finish 17th the season is a success.

Wexford Youths 1-2 Wolves

There will be match reports elsewhere, including photos etc but what is often overlooked is the behind the scenes stuff.

Players in the rain signing autographs and posing for photos for fans, Wolves officials handing out 250 free jerseys to local kids, speeches with genuine humility that reflect the baisc roots of Association Football, tired players raising one last smile for their fans. Players who competed fiercely between each other during the game, not only swapping jerseys at the end but also looking for autographs themselves. Fans from each side applauding good play from the opposition, no segregation inside the ground, Gardai having a hot dog and a laugh with fans at half time. The rain that was there all day, stopping for the 2 hours of the match

I am a natural born cynic but last night warmed even my cold aul heart.

w00t double plus w00t!

Mick MaCarthy has been vindicated and the win bumps Wolves to 12rth place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 446 ✭✭evillive

great result today - hopefully we'llput it up to liverpool at the weekend, that game is there for the taking if we dont let them rest on the ball
    great all round performance, i'm not sure there was any player didnt work their socks off, big improvement from the birmingham game - its only a matter of time before blake starts finding the net -

ward is going to have to be part of the irish defence when the euro campaign kicks off

and we have made ground on the leaders!!!!

bump.

One of the Wolves players is on Matt Cooper show in the next short while, I assume its Kevin Doyle

http://www.todayfm.com/LivePlayer.aspx

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Best thread title on the Soccer forum by miles!

bump.

One of the Wolves players is on Matt Cooper show in the next short while, I assume its Kevin Doyle

http://www.todayfm.com/LivePlayer.aspx

Speaking of Doyle, Cork City had a player of the decade poll on their website and Doyle got only 2.45% of the votes. Thought ye might be interested to know that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Any of ye ever stayed in Wolverhampton after a game and gone boozing? What kind of town/place is it? (Sorry if OT, but thinking of heading to the game on Feb 20 with the brother and making a night of it).

It was voted the 5th worst city in the world recently. Don't let that put you off!

austin-powers-cocktail-glass-4900072.jpg

Has Wolverhampton always been spelt wrong in the thread title? If so, its taken me until now to notice.:confused:

:pac: Well spotted

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

I see Wolves have picked up a suspended fine of 25000 for fielding a weakened team against Utd earlier in the year. I guess mick better hand in the teamsheets to the premier league for approval in future. Wonder why Utd and Liverpool have escaped punishment for the same offense in the past.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/w/wolverhampton_wanderers/8521603.stm

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

jaykay74 wrote: »
    I see Wolves have picked up a suspended fine of 25000 for fielding a weakened team against Utd earlier in the year. I guess mick better hand in the teamsheets to the premier league for approval in future. Wonder why Utd and Liverpool have escaped punishment for the same offense in the past.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/w/wolverhampton_wanderers/8521603.stm

I'm a Man United fan and I think this decision is an absolute disgrace. Scandelous.

Typical, hit the "small club".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭Cool Running

jaykay74 wrote: »

Cant say I agree with this atal, I mean the bigger teams do it all the time. I knows its a suspended fine but it still implies they broke the rules which is a joke. Soccer must have the most inconsistent rules in the world

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/w/wolverhampton_wanderers/8521603.stm

Absolute disgrace... and ignorant to the players that played that day. Bullshi't

Players are registered to play in the Premierleague so its bollox that they get find for this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

This makes NO sense whatsoever. I mean, they were all senior players, so who's to say whats a weakened team and whats not? Its all very subjective. Yes, in this case it was fairly obviously a second string team, but where do you draw the line? If pool get to the Europa League final and have secured 4th spot in the league already, and drop Gerrard, Carra and Torres to keep them fresh, does this count? Its not a widespread change, but the impact of not playing those three is probably just as large.

No sir, I don't like it. Very very dangerous precedent. Where do you draw the line on whats acceptable use of squad depth and what is a 'weakened team'?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

from yesterday's Daily Mail
    Wolves' £1m midfielder Andrew Surman is a loan target for Nottingham Forest, who need a replacement for injured skipper Paul McKenna.

It was feared the midfielder, who suffered knee ligament damage during the 1-0 win over Swansea at the weekend, would be out for the season.

Is he any good lads?

The best day possible. 3 points and +8 goal difference over Burnley, +10 over Hull :)

Bolton
    Sunderland
    Wigan
    West Ham
    Wolves
    Burnley
    Hull
    Portsmouth

The 3 points would have been perfect but with Hull and Burnley both losing its been decent.

Sunderland
    Bolton
    Wigan
    Wolves
    West Ham
    Hull
    Burnley
    Portsmouth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

29qmrko.gif

Thought this was good. G'wan Mick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Johner wrote: »
    29qmrko.gif

That's feckin brilliant!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

29qmrko.gif

That made me smile, but the more I watched it the more I got freaked out by it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

29qmrko.gif

thats pure class.its hypnotic

Seemed like as good a place as any for tonights game

West Ham v Wolverhampton

from bbc
    West Ham captain Scott Parker should return from a leg problem for Tuesday's relegation tussle against Wolves.

Striker Carlton Cole could start after successive appearances as a substitute, while Herita Ilunga and Mark Noble may also be promoted from the bench.

Wolves manager Mick McCarthy is expected to name an unchanged side for the seventh successive match.

He has no injury concerns following Saturday's spirited 2-2 draw at Aston Villa.

1925: TEAMS West Ham v Wolves
    West Ham: Green, Faubert, Tomkins, Upson, Daprela, Behrami, Parker, Kovac, Diamanti, Cole, McCarthy. Subs: Stech, Ilan, Franco, Mido, Noble, Spector, Stanislas.

Wolverhampton: Hahnemann, Zubar, Craddock, Berra, Elokobi, Foley, Mancienne, Henry, David Jones, Jarvis, Doyle. Subs: Hennessey, Ebanks-Blake, Ward, Halford, Iwelumo, Milijas, Guedioura.

Referee: Phil Dowd (Staffordshire)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Watching Kevin Doyle play for Wolves is like watching the movie Hostel.

He is a one man display of endevour. No slacking when leading the line at Wolves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Watching Kevin Doyle play for Wolves is like watching the movie Hostel.

I don't understand that comment exactly.

He is a one man display of endevour. No slacking when leading the line at Wolves.

This, god I would love to see him at a club with service but even without it he always has a good game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

what a great goal by Doyle

top quality

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Headshot wrote: »
    what a great goal by Doyle

top quality

Had to comment on this goal. Top marks for Doyle. Great composure in front of goal there especially with his weaker foot.

Delighted for Doyle too. He starting to show he is good enough for the premership.

Wolves will be getting few offers over the summer for him.

Happy for Mick too. Even draw tonight would not be bad result but win would be massive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Delighted for Doyle too. He starting to show he is good enough for the premership.

Wolves will be getting few offers over the summer for him.

Happy for Mick too. Even draw tonight would not be bad result but win would be massive

Starting???:rolleyes:

He's been good enough for the premiership since he came to England.

Should be at one of the top sides not wasted holding up the ball in a 4-5-1 formation.

Starting???:rolleyes:

He's been good enough for the premiership since he came to England.

Should be at one of the top sides not wasted holding up the ball in a 4-5-1 formation.

His second season at Reading in Premership was not all great, even last season in championship he was not outstanding.

No question about his qualities but he showing them now.

I agree though he better player then being on Wolves side.

• Advertisement
Advertisement