Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The occasionally updated Wolverhamtpon Wanderers thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Wolves sign "wonderkid" striker Jake Cassidy, from Welsh League side Airbus

http://www.expressandstar.com/sport/2010/08/17/striker-jake-cassidy-signs-for-wolves/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

TheTosh wrote: »
    Van Damme used to play for Southampton when they were in the PL thats as much as I know

Would be curious as to where Wolves are thinking of playing him in the long term. He is a physical no nonsense type player who has a bit of a mean streak.

Big guy too at around 6'5. As his height might suggest, he is pretty good in the air. He was a left back mostly at Ajax, but has spent time on the left side of midfield and also as a centre back for Anderlecht. He has a court case pending also for alleged racist actions on the pitch in what was a very very heated game against Liege in May this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭frantic190

Matt Doherty joins Wolves from Bohemians.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11699_6323213,00.html

Hasn't played for our first team but he is a great player, saw him play for Belvo and he looks very good.

Grabbed him before Roy Keane got an offer in! ;)

Matt Doherty confirmed from Bohs joining the Irish community in Wolverhampton - Keogh, Doyle, Ward, Hunt, Foley, Rooney and McCarey. Its like Keanos Sundireland ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭frantic190

mike65 wrote: »
    Matt Doherty confirmed from Bohs joining the Irish community in Wolverhampton - Keogh, Doyle, Ward, Hunt, Foley, Rooney and McCarey. Its like Keanos Sundireland ;)

Wardy joined from Bohs aswell :D Mick is a bit smarter than Keano when signing people though at least, Keane just sees an Irish person without a club and signs him.

Chelsea and u-21 international centre back Michael Macinenne is back at Wolves for his third loan spell, again its the whole season. I can only see him being signed at some point.

Oh Andy Keogh has signed on loan at Cardiff for the season. Not a bad gig.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Chelsea and u-21 international centre back Michael Macinenne is back at Wolves for his third loan spell, again its the whole season. I can only see him being signed at some point.

Do they not get to keep him now ?

He still has three years on his contract so they'll have to put an offer in at some point, I reckon they will. Its clear that Chelsea don't see any future for him in the short term and Mancienne must be getting a bit tired with being a near permenant loanee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Dunleavy is another Irish player at Wolves

• Advertisement

:) I'll have a look at the highlights later but any sort of a result against Newcastle after Villa is a good one.

3 games two creditable draws and a win. Nothing astonishing but definitely wouldn't have happened a year ago (and didn't!)

Wolves 25 man squad until January, Michael Kightly remains in recovery mode so is left out with a view to a loan spell when ready to play.

Marcus Hahnemann
    Wayne Hennessey
    Carl Ikeme

Kevin Foley
    Ronald Zubar
    Richard Stearman
    Jody Craddock
    Christophe Berra
    Steven Mouyokolo
    George Elokobi
    Stephen Ward
    Jelle Van Damme

Karl Henry
    David Jones
    Michael Mancienne (on loan from Chelsea)
    Dave Edwards
    Greg Halford
    Nenad Milijaš
    Adlene Guedioura
    Matt Jarvis
    Stephen Hunt

Kevin Doyle
    Steven Fletcher
    Sylvan Ebanks-Blake
    Marcus Bent (on loan from Birmingham)

League Cup 4th round

Manchester United v Wolves

LOL! I wonder will the press have a go if Wolves send the kids up?

Just when the darkness was closing in all around, Mick McCarthys attacking philosophy yields an important win, after good performances in defeat a Tevez-less City are beaten 2-1, the city goal coming from the spot. Wolves goals from the talented Serb midfielder Milijas and Dave Edwards.

Next up Manchester Utd then Arsenal.

After a run 4 loses Wolves beat Sunderland in a 3-2 thriller. Sylvan Ebanks-Blake is becoming a bit of a match-winner off the bench with an assist from Doyle. Stephen Hunt and wing wizard Matt Jarvis also scored.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

After a run 4 loses Wolves beat Sunderland in a 3-2 thriller. Sylan Banks Blake is becoming a bit of a match-winner off the bench with an assist from Doyle. Stephen Hunt and wing wizard Matt Jarvis also scored.

Massive win for them, they were in danger of losing touch despite some very good displays if they'd lost again today. Happy for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Case growing to play 2 up top?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Glad for Mick and Doyle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

Leeds fan here in peace.

Great win for Wolves today.

I am a big fan of Mick McCarthy from his playing days with Ireland and also as manager of Ireland. I would have been in the McCarthy camp in Saipan.

Hunt and Doyle seemed to play a good part in today's win. Hopefully Leeds will be joining Wolves in the Premier League within a few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Pontificatus

Delighted for Wolves today. You've deserved something the last few weeeks and finally got it today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

First half of today's half was dire, the second was the best half of football (for excitement anyway) that you'll see this season. McCarthy is working miracles with Wolves. On paper they're not particularly strong but they have a great togetherness and are greater than the sum of their parts.

Need to work out how to stop conceeding though. A new central defender wouldn't go amiss. On the fowards, its strange. Playing one up top has not worked really but Wolves do score when they get enough bodies foward which suggests they should go 4-4-2 or even 4-3-1-2 the one being Milijas, the strikers would have to get back but Doyle is tireless as it is. Having either Fletcher or Ebanks-Blake with him must make more sense as they would spend more time with the ball in the other half and so relieve pressure on the back line.

Edit - I said Jarvis scored, he nearly did. Foley scored from the rebound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

delighted for micko , id like to see wolves stay up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 446 ✭✭evillive

having watched the match on sky seriously shocking linesman decisions
    jarvis being gifted the ball in an off side position from a sunderland player being called offside, stearman's 'goal' offside when sunderland had a man on the goalline, at one point the sunderland keeper tipped over a shot and fell in doing so - yet because there was a wolves player (cant remember who) within 2 feet it was a freekick, stearman clearly off side in playing the ball in his part of hunt's goal - it was overall a fair result but, those sort of inept decisions could have cost mccarthy his job -

of our lads, doyle played well - got more than his fair share of kicks in the game - his miss in the first half was criminal though - hunt excellent - foley with the captains armband and playing in a more forward role was very good - ward quiet enough

on a brighter note - the fightback started today and i'll be at molineux for the birmingham game (and villa v the **** the day before)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

evillive wrote: »
    having watched the match on sky seriously shocking linesman decisions
    stearman's 'goal' offside when sunderland had a man on the goalline,
    I'd take issue with this. There was a player on the line but Stearman was behind the goalkeeper (at least half his body was) and so there was only one player between him and the goal when the ball was played, therefore he was offside. Shocking decision in the lead up to Hunt's goal though.

I'd take issue with this. There was a player on the line but Stearman was behind the goalkeeper (at least half his body was) and so there was only one player between him and the goal when the ball was played, therefore he was offside. Shocking decision in the lead up to Hunt's goal though.

yep, your correct there - i'll ask the FA to change the result to 2-2

good result for the league with west ham also winning, as no-one totally adrift yet and the other teams in bottom half at least are still within touching distance of the drop zone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Anyone know the best place around dublin to get a wolves home jersey .I need a small and a XL for xmas presents.

yabadabado wrote: »
    Anyone know the best place around dublin to get a wolves home jersey .I need a small and a XL for xmas presents.

i used to get mine in The Soccer Shop on Georges Street - thats shut now - was the only place i ever saw selling them - you should surely get them delivered before Christmas if you order on the club website

Jelle Van Damme off back to Belgium - Standard Leige. Never settled.

• Advertisement

A win, a win!

After a dismal run of results and a poor enough game against Wigan Wolves finally get some reward for playing well. A toothless LFC made it easier than it should have been as McCarthys side kept only their second clean sheet this season. Onwards and upwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

Some finish by Stephen Ward!
    Very under rated player. Can't believe he hasn't been given a chance for Ireland, despite starting week in, week out for Wolves - surely a better option than Kilbane at this stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭Hoki

I thought you were a Liverpool fan,explanation for this dual support :confused::)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭DH2K9

How on earth are Wolverhampton Wanderers in the bottom 3. The pressure on that Liverpool defence was immense for 90 minutes. Fair fcukin play.

Hoki wrote: »
    I thought you were a Liverpool fan,explanation for this dual support :confused::)

Accident of birth, I never lived there though so they are my "second" team. Wasn't as "issue" until promotion!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭DH2K9

Accident of birth, I never lived there though so they are my "second" team. Wasn't as "issue" until promotion!

Had same thing with Blackpool. Even went to a Blackpool game in 2006. Have the ticket and program to prove it but nobody believes me. I went to Bloomfield Road when there was a car park at one end and a terrace at the side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

A win, a win!

After a dismal run of results and a poor enough game against Wigan Wolves finally get some reward for playing well. A toothless LFC made it easier than it should have been as McCarthys side kept only their second clean sheet this season. Onwards and upwards.

You are dead to me...Mr.....internet guy!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Great win for Wolves. Fair play.
    Should give Mick more time which i think he fully deserves. Good coach IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

3 seems to be the number every manager is given 3 games to turn it round that's what they said Mick Hughes and grant had since then they have all gone on to get 3 points and all their jobs look a lot more secure.

good to see Wardy get a bit of payback on Reina after his behaviour in the same game last year when he ran the most of the pitch to have a go at the referee to get Ward sent off - lost my resopect for him that day

Wolves plan on not letting Liverpool pass the ball out of defence worked a treat - Liverpool are a better passing side, i was surprised that they had no ball boys on duty - ok the pitch doesnt lend to this but every time the ball went out off a pool player Wolves could slow it down to their own pace

its a pity to see Hodgson struggling with this side as i think he is a better manager than results show but he should be getting a better tune out of them and i dont hold up too much hope for them if the remainder of the teams they play adopt similar tactics to Mick's boys

now on to West Ham - a win is vital looking at the January fixture list although i am looking forward to Liverpool at Molineux now

toow!

• Advertisement

GET THE FCUK IN!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Poor Mick.

Lose 1-0 against Bolton by conceding an injury time goal.

This team could not buy luck right now.

ffs just seen it, zubar should be dropped for the rest of the season - f**king shocking - our defending was very nervy overall - doyle played quite well

o'hara had a few nice touches

at least we have a handy match at the weekend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

If you had to bet.....

Will ye stay up or not?

And what ye think of Mick in charge?

Just wondering, would like to see ye doing bit better myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Can't see Wolves staying up. They're not scoring enough goals and not getting a whole lot of luck at the moment either. Tonight could easily have been 3 pts instead of none, but when you're down at the bottom and things aren't running for you that's how it seems to go.

Probably need 16 or 17 pts from 14 games though, which is doable I suppose but unlikely if they don't start putting the ball in the net very soon.

thank you thank you thank you, but why do we have to do it the bloody impossible way??

the point dropped against bolton may have been worth it because today any time there was a doubt in defence the ball went into row Z - very happy for mick, well deserved, united show they cant handle having it put up them, scholes handball was shocking effort at cheating and what the hell was giggs at pulling across doyle off the ball??

next up?? arsenal away is it?? - EASY

Molineux Stadium re-developement gets the all clear to start this summer.
    Wolverhampton Wanderers Football club has announced plans for a £16m redevelopment of its Molineux Stadium.

Phase one of the construction consists of a new two tier stand to replace the current Stan Cullis Stand which will increase the stadium’s capacity from 29,000 to 31,700 with work to begin at the end of this season and completed for the 2012/13 campaign.

The expansion will be funded by the club’s existing cash flow before it will evaluate phase two, pushing total expenditure to £40m and capacity to 36,000 with phase three yet to be priced.

Commenting on the plans Wolves chairman Steve Morgan said: "The aim is to drive the club forwards at all levels and to ensure we put our team in the best possible position to compete at the highest level. To do that we need the best possible facilities at Molineux.

"New facilities, better seats, much wider concourses and increased catering offerings will also give our fans a great match day - and non-match day - experience of visiting Molineux and supporting the team.

"We know there is a balance to be struck. This decision is about a statement of our commitment, belief and ambition and about the planned success for Wolves over the medium to long-term but we will also continue our policy of investing in our talented, young squad because there is no point in having a great stadium if we don't have a great team to play in it.

"This is a brave and decisive leap forward but one which will open up an exciting and historic new chapter for the benefit of everyone connected to this wonderful football club and City."

As well as increasing the capacity the redevelopment will be a a new club megastore, museum, hospitality facilities and a larger accessible lounge for disabled supporters.

I'd have waited a season or two I have to say.

4-0 shocker (Wolves on right end of said result double shocker!)

Wolves 4-0 Blackpool FT

* Jarvis 2
    * O'Hara 54
    * Ebanks-Blake 78
    * Ebanks-Blake 90

After unending failure to beat sides in the bottom half of the division since Brum in early December Wolves overpower the Seasiders from start to finish. O'Hara and Hammill have been very smart aquisitions for almost no money but Mick McCarthy is quite good when shopping in Lidl. That lifts the side from bottom to 17th on goal difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Still going down IMO.

• Advertisement
Advertisement