Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is boards becoming too PC, or dare I say a plastic bubble fantasy.

Options
  • 20-06-2009 11:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭

Careful what you say now..... might get a smack... we are all kids. Follow the rules spick and span. We have new rule in about a week's time. You will have to learn the next set of rules. What will the next rule be? don't use suggestive language where you may suggest something honest, when others thinks its not honest or gee we need to look into this whole arena, to make it more like we are in control here.

Don't say the B, C, F words. Let the mod threaten you, even if they don't agree with you? Sit and take it or we wil get our terms and conditions down your throat. As its becoming apparent and its only a matter of time before

Boards becomes an American wishy washy don't say boo website.

Dont say blue, in a red forum. you get banned, and when you say blue in the blue forum we all get together and celebrate it like we are on top of the world.

Don't say irish in the after hours forum, cus that goes in the gaelige forum. There is a girl named is madra and she just posted something in after hours should this be now in the charter? Penalize her that despicable woman how DARE she do this.

Don't say a joke is not funny in the joke forum. even if its tempting to say it

Don't press the red button in the astronomy room, aliens will fly out.

Don't react to a react to a mod giving you an almighty Zeus attitude even when he reacts.

Don't stand up for yourself, because there are now so many rules and charters that you actually need to read the charter everytime you log on to boards(just incase you know how it is)Something new and fascinating appears on the charter you don't walk to glide in the air, as you hope no one will think you will make any noise or interruptions unintentionally/intentionally.. I think it's best you get a charter to remind you of the new charters that are up. So it's easier to be more robotic and how we robots should, act, think and be.

Don't unintentionally say anything off topic, stick to the bible and don't talk about Hindu

Don't unintentionally talk about something a little off topic, " raving mod" I'll ban your ass""" grrr.

Don't say a word that relates to music in the non music forum, cus that's just confusing.

Don't say Ancient Egyptians in the Conspiracy forum, cus that's history you silly moo(censor this if you think this is too shocking to read)

Don't speak of UFOs in the Paranormal forum, cus UFO is now conspiracy theory, or wait its goes into the Paranormal forum now, but anyway either way once you question the UFOs it goes back into Conspiracy theory. I know... fun to see this go on. Wait till we see a new charter on this one. We don't want to go into this coinmaze now, even I get confused.

Don't report posts, cus a lot of mods tend to pick and choose which posts they want too correct, you know how that is:D:rolleyes:

Don't challenge a mods who misbehaves and don't take it to helpdesk they will defend the mod.

Don't take this to feedback, cus they will lock it.

Don't say use smiley faces, even when you do genuinely feel upset or sad, it's racist or something. Or you mean different. or your an emo! lol...

Don't talk about something interesting, its normally boring, and if you do you will be banned. we should all be the same goddammit.

What makes this so pathetic, a mod who doesn't like you, can play the "three lives" thing on this site now. You get three bans and you get the "permaban" is this even a word. You may have only deserved 3 infractions. But super mods go on deaf ear here. if you catch my drift. So they just have three steps to get your ass of it. While others probably have poked someones eye out a 1000 times but are still on the forum.

I'm going to get my space shoes on they are silent you wont hear me around the place, cus you have to be very careful around here.

Make sure everyone on this forum becomes the same, don't do anything extreme, don't swear even when joking, don't pee, don't smile, don't do something different and for the love of god don't say a syllable out of place in the English poetry forum. Don't even try and be yourself, it's a private forum after all, we must bow and act accordingly. This is just................................FUN... or at least its becoming fun to watch.

If you catch my drift....................................:rolleyes: Boards needs to chill the **** out.

I probably didn't get to go through all the dos and don't. Everyone is a terrorist, so we need tighter controls. If anything I hope you all get a good laugh out of this. :) It took about 2 mins to type off the head.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Boards needs to chill the **** out.
    Defamation law in Ireland.
    You think you don't have to be careful elsewhere at your own financial risk...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

What will the next rule be?

Mandatory proofreading of posts.

Attacking typos is generally pretty petty and sad, but can someone please fix the thread title, its giving me a headache, and I dont want to see it on the main page every time theres a reply to this thread.

"Is boards becoming too PC, or dare I say a plastic bubble fantasy."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

It's our own fault everything in the world is going this way, and shockingly average people who run websites like this are going the same way.

The issue is control. You cant control people. Once you make it too controlling you kill the air.

When does it cross over the line. Has it crossed over the line in terms of becoming way to PC here. I'm not attacking the webiste as a personal means. I used a bit of humour to make it alittle humourous. I do believe it is funny because its outragous.

To much control actually does the opposite of making the website more friendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

We'd love to replace all of the rules on boards.ie with two simple rules:

Don't be a dickhead.
    Respect other people.

But then people like you would want a definition of what sort of a dickhead we were referring to, precisely, and just what sort of behaviour can be defined as being a dickhead, and then when that's answered you'd posit your long-held personal credo that respect must be earned, not freely given.

Mandatory proofreading of posts.

Attacking typos is generally pretty petty and sad, but can someone please fix the thread title, its giving me a headache, and I dont want to see it on the main page every time theres a reply to this thread.

"Is boards becoming too PC, or dare I say a plastic bubble fantasy."

I can't even thank the post... lol... but yeah thanks.

Oh a new rule feedback.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

mysterious

could I draw your attention to your own sig?
    I like what I say and do, if you don't like it. Well that's just tough

now flip that around and imagine it as the sig for boards.ie.......see where I'm going here?

Don't be a dickhead.
    Respect other people.

But then people like you would want a definition of what sort of a dickhead we were referring to, precisely, and just what sort of behaviour can be defined as being a dickhead, and then when that's answered you'd posit your long-held personal credo that respect must be earned, not freely given.

Well I was talking about P.C.......

You know going overboard with rules. I think its becoming an issues as the owner of this site want more control over what people say. The more you try to project the more people will retaliate.

So I see, if I said JFK in the after hours forum, should this be moved into the conspiracy theory. If I made a joke about JFK in the Conspiracy theory should this then be moved to the joke forum, as funny as this forum can be(untill you look at the charter:rolleyes:) Actually it's funny.

Don't comment on a joke you didnt find funny. lmao... Priceless has to be the weirdest rule I've ever come across on a forum.

But anyway on topic.

Maybe i'm just seeing things, and its the posters fault for not been more robotic.

I mean, new rules are added each day to conform to a a previous action on the thread that may have happened. A new rule is made. If you want to be more objective here. Is this the way to go. From having 50 rules to lets just imagine in 1 years time. How many rules will be added to the charter.

Where is the line going to be drawn. How far is too far. Will it just keep going till the point where they are so many rules people will just get sick of the PC, and leave the site.??

I'm really just posing scenarios here

mysterious

could I draw your attention to your own sig?

now flip that around and imagine it as the sig for boards.ie.......see where I'm going here?

The sig means, in my own interpretation.

If express my views, I'm entitled too, as long as I don't offend the other person.

So If am respecting myself, I also have to point out some people will just not respect that. I'm not just speaking for myself. I hold that sig strongly for this reason. I stand to my perceptions and beliefs. Through others I learn what isn't acceptable or what not the correct thing to do.

I won't talk like a drone and go on tip toes on my belief's. I don't need a PC system to tell me what is morality and what is the correct thing to do. The problem is the world has become too PC, people are becoming so restricted in what they can or cannot say. People cannot even be themselves.

Therefore, ****ed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

mysterious wrote: »
    Has it crossed over the line in terms of becoming way to PC here.
    Will it just keep going till the point where they are so many rules people will just get sick of the PC, and leave the site.??
    The problem is the world has become to PC,

Mac
    forum tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

The sig means, in my own interpretation.

If express my views, I'm entitled too, as long as I don't offend the other person.
    I like what I say and do, if you don't like it. Well that's just tough
    If some one is offened by what you say and does not like it, is that tough too?
    At the end of the day, it's just a message board. Anonymous people will come and share opinions or disagree with you. You want to control the posts, start your own message board.

• Advertisement

I'm just the messenger spreading awareness of what I feel is happening to this site.

I think a good critical analysis of this forum should be done evey so often, as to how the people of the site are adapting to it. The changes in terms of rules, is a step in the wrong direction.

If you give people freedom, respect, paitence, honesty and choice. They will mirror it back.

The idealogy of boards now becomiing like an American cable chat show, is pretty daunting to me. It becomes unnatural.

I'm not a fan of been unnatural, monotone and generic.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,458 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I have to agree with mysterious. I wouldn't have bothered posting if there was a thumbs up button.

Mac
    forum tbh.

people have been banned for saying less:D

Oh you'd get banned for that anyhow, its off topic.

Heck if this is meant to be for PC forum this is now off topic. (CENSORED)

Oh lordy. Just see how such a mic this website is becoming and the super mods don't see it yet.:rolleyes:

I found this funny, but what if someone didnt find this funny, would they then get a warning on the humour forum for saying it's NOT funny.(THIS LINE COULD BE CENSORED OUTNOW) I just said it's funny, I don't get the swine flu no?
    Oh wait we have helpdesk, your saved......
    Helpdesk, sounds like megatron who defends the decepticons, you know how it is.

Just remebered. And now it's a soccor match we have yellow cards and red cards, do we get a pitch and battle it out aswell?

A mod who could of given you yellow card, deicded he didnt like your views, so he gave you a red card. The super mods, say good on ya, the people of boards don't matter, its the mods decision at the end of the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

Have you any actual examples or comparisons of how PC boards.ie has become since whenever you feel it was grand and how it is now in it's "PC" form?

Or is this just a general thread for rambling without any actual constructive feedback?

Can you not see if for yourself.

For the mods that make all the rules, its ironic, that we play the blindman now all of a sudden.

This thread is doing it's job:D

"i'm making it up of course" its funny cus on a normal thread I'd get banned for been honest as i have been here.

Banned banned your banned...... chlidish.

Poccington wrote: »
    Have you any actual examples or comparisons of how PC boards.ie has become since whenever you feel it was grand and how it is now in it's "PC" form?

Or is this just a general thread for rambling without any actual constructive feedback?

Well I seen you re edit post in the millitary forum.

On "politics of war"

You edited so, we would only see the crap we see on the T.V daily. You know misinformation. Or make it appear more biased to "how you want the thread to be" therefore defined by your PC view. Which is bull**** out of the fan. In my view.

Poccington, when I asked you to put it back up.
    You said

"I'm not putting it back up"

It's not acceptable or mature to act, in such discussions. I really don't care if you don't like what people say, I think you need to get your claws back in your pocket and let the dicussion be less controlled by your control issues.

Therefore your denying the right of another to express his view. Your also showing that a person cannot contriubute to the thread, everyone MUST say the same thing and agree in the same way, if you don't agree the mighty man poccington, comes along to save the day with the PC crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

I'm sure you'll remember as well that when you were expressing your views, once people started to try take the piss I was the one that stepped in to make sure they stopped that ****e so you could express your views.

You know full well why I deleted those posts, it's the Military Forum not the CT Forum as I've told you before and some of your posts went down the road of conspiracy talk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Don't be a dickhead.
    Respect other people.

What she said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

No, Boards is not "becoming too PC" - have a look at some of the jokes people post here OP.

Dudess wrote: »
    No, Boards is not "becoming too PC" - have a look at some of the jokes people post here OP.
    In feedback?

What about elsewhere?

AH seems to have morphed into forum where you can joke one thread but not in the other. You can't post a fail pic in the soccer forum. If somebody posts something regarding a moderator on boards on another forum they get banned. A couple of posters from a particular forum did something naughty and the whole forum was made to pay for it.

PC mighn't actually be the right wording, maybe just plain crazy.

• Advertisement

eagle eye wrote: »
    In feedback?

What about elsewhere?

AH seems to have morphed into forum where you can joke one thread but not in the other. You can't post a fail pic in the soccer forum. If somebody posts something regarding a moderator on boards on another forum they get banned. A couple of posters from a particular forum did something naughty and the whole forum was made to pay for it.

The AH thing aside (and in fairness, javaboy has given good posts here regarding that concern), those are very much exceptional events and not all "mods" agree with them - by a long shot. They are not the norm, it's not helpful to speak as though they are.
    Jeez, the stuff mysterious is constantly whingeing about... I mean, I'm FAR from a Boards.ie sycophant, I've voiced my concern at what I deem unfair, but I generally don't see a problem with what mysterious has issues with - his posts just seem extremely embittered and it's obvious he's a troublemaker, otherwise he wouldn't be "singled out" if that's how he sees it.

It's always about everyone else isn't it, mysterious? Never you...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

It would be if PC stood for "plain crazy."

The AH thing aside (and in fairness, javaboy has given good posts here regarding that concern), those are very much exceptional events and not all "mods" agree with them - by a long shot. They are not the norm, it's not helpful to speak as though they are.
    While they are not the norm they are becoming more frequent occurences and with all the rules that have been added its coming to the stage where people are very unsure whats allowed and whats not allowed. Less freedom means less posts, less humour and ultimately it will kill forums.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

In feedback?

What about elsewhere?

the fact that the majority of the new style of baby sitting came in after daft through a few quid into boards and they started hiring is pretty bad news.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,993 ✭✭✭✭Stark

It's a hot day. Take off the tin foil hat and your brain won't overheat as much.

It would be if PC stood for "plain crazy."
    Damn the lack of thanks! :D

Damn the lack of thanks! :D
    I purposely put them words in, but +1.:D

Poccington wrote: »
    I'm sure you'll remember as well that when you were expressing your views, once people started to try take the piss I was the one that stepped in to make sure they stopped that ****e so you could express your views.

You know full well why I deleted those posts, it's the Military Forum not the CT Forum as I've told you before and some of your posts went down the road of conspiracy talk.

Don't go there Poccington. You took my views off it, cus you had a problem with it. In other words, you denied my right of opinion.

It WAS NOT C.T
    It was a precisely factual, based on the "politics of wars", I explaine Geo politics, with links and facts. it was probably the best piece of info on that whole moronic forum. The thread was moronic, because people were fighing over who was good and evil, all media balony.

The whole thread was moronic, because people are not allowed express themselves like I can and will do. No one is allowed to take a step up and just say the truth for what they think it is or believe it to be. Everything has to be spic and span and down to a T. The mods interprets the threads to be boring and the same, lets all agree that the wall is green and ban the person who thinks it's red. All a mod has to do is have the attitude of not liking a post, and remove it. Its absurd. Especially since the owners of this site let that behaviour go on. I don't think this is right at all.

Wishy washy don't say this and that now, you will get banned. Its a disgrace the way some mods behave and not only to mods, the way people just make a show of people based on their differences.

If it was C.T why didn't you move it. You didn't move it because you knew it wasn't C.T. So please don't play that tripe with me, just because your a mod. You removed it, because you didnt want the truth., you wanted the crap that is posted every day, from the media. You can say it was, but it wasn't. You reacted with arrogance and ignorance, and that was your behaviour.

But that case is closed, I have no interest in posting reality in that forum, cus none of it isreality. CNN and FOX news droning is all that is allowed on that forum. What the news says, and **** your beliefs and moralis.

Stark wrote: »
    It's a hot day. Take off the tin foil hat and your brain won't overheat as much.

At least I have one:D

• Advertisement

Check out my wall, steve decided to ban me,

for been naughty... what a word.

1 month ban.

Should I take it to helpdesk, no, because the admins don't mediate cases. It's not politically correct for the Admins to pull a mods behaviour aside.

Steve banned me because He knows my views are controversial. But he can't give an explanation.

Other than been "your so naughty"

This is Childish behaviour.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement