Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is boards becoming too PC, or dare I say a plastic bubble fantasy.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

But what is the issue? That Boards has too many rules? That mods enforce them too strictly? Lets get away from what you said or he said or they did or you did, what is the actual problem, and what do you suggest can be done to fix it.

And please, I read your first post in this thread and it made little sense. Why not just outline your point clearly and concisely without exagurations or metaphors, and get to the root of what you want to say. That way, its more likely to be taken seriously.

Everyone here are individuals, and people have their own opinions and contribution to add.

This is what makes boards.ie successful or did do so "positive terms"

Now more and more controls and rules are been put in place, where people have to be so tight in what they can or cannot say. People have less power over how they project themselves. While as a mod they get more and more power, more and more rules and impediments. The more rules you have the easier it is for a mod to ban you to the point it can be taken out of context. The more and more that its becoming a plastic bubble. Your more watchful if you say anything wrong. If a mod doesn't like you, you would be then proof reading what your going say incase you say anything wrong. This is the general line of the way boards is going. I've seen this in America, it's not justified. We are never going to have a perfect society where everything goes according to plan and regulation. So what's the point of creating this bubble reality. "oh you better not say that now, no one says that now" shuush.

For example
    I say blue in the art forum. Its ok. Someone says blue in the millitary forum. The mod can easily ban you because blue isn't anything of that topic.

We all know the context of why certain phrases or words was used in the sentence. But a mod can uise it against you by the charter.

This is just one example.

6th wrote: »
    Actually this is where you brough me into it. Had I posted before this point? Yes or No if you please. G'wan, prove you can answer a straight question with a straight answer.

lol...............

An admin had to tell you to shut up(politely) in the last feedback thread. You came on with a dig, all by yourself.. A few weeks ago you posted comments on my wall to start a pointless conversation with me, funny how you deleted some of them.

Seriously I've enough of this.

So what way is this going to go.

Any more rules? think about this time next year how many more rules there will be on each forum

I will predict that the humour forum will become the "only laugh when told to forum"

I'm just throwing out possiblie realities here, of what could happen if we don't start realising what's going on here now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

mysterious wrote: »
    So what way is this going to go.

Any more rules? think about this time next year how many more rules there will be on each forum

I will predict that the humour forum will become the "only laugh when told to forum"

I'm just throwing out possiblie realities here, of what could happen if we don't start realising what's going on here now.

ok but really shouldn't your possible CT about boards.ie be in the CT forum ?

I got a ban for not finding a joke not funny. The thing was it was a week later the mod infracted me. "the drums were out and the charter in your face do what your ****ing supposed to do"

I thought this was the funniest **** I've ever seen when i got the pm. It was that off gaurd. :D

Logically I thought mods on the humor forum would be more relaxed. I thought wrong in that regard. I don't care of the infraction, if he me banned for good I wouldn't have an issue with it, cus I would ust not be able to have a laugh on that forum. Nazis don't usually have a sense of humour.

As someone who makes alot of jokes in walking life, I value and understand the importance of constructive criticisms when it comes to making jokes and that area. It's how you find your audience and learn whats natually funny and what is not. When others critice you move on to new material.

Just throwing this out there to see your responses. I'm not attacking anyone or anyone to remove my infractions. Just my own personal feedback.

• Advertisement

Thaedydal wrote: »
    ok but really shouldn't your possible CT about boards.ie be in the CT forum ?

I could but it seems that mods "go ah when I do" and I can't post in C.T anyway. People want me back on there. But the Admins made the decision.

"I'm really naughty" bold bold bold.

Smack. You can't be speaking out. shuush.

Why can't we thank post's, for christ sake. It's valued communication.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

why don't you just find another forum that more closely meets your exacting requirements?

tbh wrote: »
    why don't you just find another forum that more closely meets your exacting requirements?

I am on loads of forums.

Why can't I be treated the same way here? I don't stop anyone else from posting what they like. I consider myself open minded in this regard. I know my views are strong. But alot of people want me here.

Some don't. I can't please everyone. Nor should I need too.

• Advertisement

Ok well that rule of not posting a negative comment in humour has been the way of that forum from when it was set up by it's first mod, it's the rule and ethos of the forum and the reason why it is important to check the charter of a forum you have not posting in before and to check even in forums you post in as there may be additions.

If you don't then you post at your peril which someone one who I just banned from bgrh just found out. This is nothing new, that rule in humour is nothing new, it's just new to you. So you got a bit of a shock I recommend a nice hot beverage of you choice and a little sit down and maybe a nice bickie and next time you go to post on a forum do yourself a favour and read over it's charter.

Ok well that rule of not posting a negative comment in humour has been the way of that forum from when it was set up by it's first mod, it's the rule and ethos of the fourm and the reason why it is important to check the charter of a forum you have not posting in before and to check even in forums you post in as there may be additions.

If you don't then you post at your peril which somone one who I just banned from bgrh just found out. This is nothing new, that rule in humour is nothing new, it's just new to you.

There was nothing negative about what I said. I just didnt think it was that funny. Some fell of their tits, some chuckled some cried laughing, some danced laughing. But afterwould's I realised that it was a rule, but I understand your point. But in my view its becoming extreme

Everyone is different. Do you not see the point here.

Its getting really boring that we are all meant to be the same in that regard. Oh and the word negative in this sense remind's me of America. It's about control. This fantasized bubble of pretending everything is all good and floating. The more power, a medium has the more they dictate what you say. Whether that medium, Is T.V, News networks, blogs, forums etc etc.

You can't say anything negative and you can't speak out against coporations and you can't speak against governments/high ranking people and you can't speak out against the media.

But they can say what they damn like, even negatively.

My point is. there is no balance here. Everything in this world is going down this route. You can't be yourself. The workplace is the same. It's becoming to formatted and robotic.

I am on loads of forums.

Why can't I be treated the same way here? I don't stop anyone else from posting what they like. I consider myself open minded in this regard. I know my views are strong. But alot of people want me here.

well, yeah, I broadly agree, but it's pretty obvious that the admins here either don't agree with you, or do but don't care. I dunno, I tend to know where I'm not wanted, you know? The fact is, if you want to stay here you need to please the admins, there's no question that you can just say or do whatever you want.

By the way - you said "a lot of people want me here". With the greatest respect in the world, that statement totally undermines any valid points you may be trying to raise. If a lot of people want you here, why aren't they posting in this thread?

Let's face facts myserious, if you get sitebanned forever, not a whole lot is going to change on boards. If you have a valid point - make it. If you have a lot of supporters - mobilise them. Then maybe I'd be convinced the problem lies with boards, and not just with you. I don't think the majority of people care one way or another whether you post here or not, and making vague claims about how popular you are makes me think that either you are lying, or you're deluded.

I'll say it again - if anyone can show me a valid example of any mod acting the mickey then I'll be at the head of the queue looking for the situation to be resolved. My history in feedback will stand for itself. My history in the mod forum will stand for itself.
    What I cannot abide are these whingers and moaners, that cannot even respect the most basic of rules that are adhered to by literally tens of thousands of other boards users, all the time, without complaint, and which make boards the success that it is.

Instead, you want to kick and stamp and throw your toys out of the pram and try and force everybody else to change to accommodate you, and you generally suck the good intentions and good feelings and general community spirit from everybody else.

The rules are what they are. The mods are who they are. Nobody is forcing you to read or post on boards. Therefore, you deal with it, or piss off somewhere else. It's a personal choice. None of us care which option you choose, so basically stfu and quit harshing my buzz.

It's all to do with power.

Boards is a medium too. the power is remained at a wavelenght, cus the rules and regulations keep everyone on the same boat talking the same stuff.

Anyway I will leave it as that. To see what your responses to be.

well, yeah, I broadly agree, but it's pretty obvious that the admins here either don't agree with you, or do but don't care. I dunno, I tend to know where I'm not wanted, you know? The fact is, if you want to stay here you need to please the admins, there's no question that you can just say or do whatever you want.

I don't see any communication with them.
    By the way - you said "a lot of people want me here". With the greatest respect in the world, that statement totally undermines any valid points you may be trying to raise. If a lot of people want you here, why aren't they posting in this thread?

Look at my wall, and look at preiouvs helpdesks/feedback threads about me. Infact there was 1 or 2 I was unaware of where people actually protested my ban. One person wanted to be banned, because the poster couldn't understand why the mods wanted me off the C.T forum. On the C.T suggestion forum, Im mentioned there still after 3 months off it. Occaisonly I get the odd pm how come I don't have any activity on the forum.

I don't need to go into emails either. People have tried to support me, I really appreciated that. But they know that it's not working, so why should they keep trying to defend my case. I wouldn't expect them too.

To answer your question, they have been posting alot of feedback about how they are not happy with C.T and the way it has headed.
    Let's face facts myserious, if you get sitebanned forever, not a whole lot is going to change on boards. If you have a valid point - make it. If you have a lot of supporters - mobilise them. Then maybe I'd be convinced the problem lies with boards, and not just with you. I don't think the majority of people care one way or another whether you post here or not, and making vague claims about how popular you are makes me think that either you are lying, or you're deluded.

I understand that, I care that I post. I'm not asking for anyone to care lol. I'm asking for people to lay off my case, because I am individual who is not like the rest of people on boards.
    I'll say it again - if anyone can show me a valid example of any mod acting the mickey then I'll be at the head of the queue looking for the situation to be resolved. My history in feedback will stand for itself. My history in the mod forum will stand for itself.
    What I cannot abide are these whingers and moaners, that cannot even respect the most basic of rules that are adhered to by literally tens of thousands of other boards users, all the time, without complaint, and which make boards the success that it is.

I'm burntout anytime I got close to getting it resolved the thread ended up locked. When i did back away. Other's reported my unfair bannings.

Cus the admins were accussing me of making a scene or playing the victim. Others started to protest. People who dissagreed with my views, even supported me.

Instead, you want to kick and stamp and throw your toys out of the pram and try and force everybody else to change to accommodate you, and you generally suck the good intentions and good feelings and general community spirit from everybody else.

Ok................

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

It's all to do with power.

Boards is a medium too. the power is remained at a wavelenght, cus the rules and regulations keep everyone on the same boat talking the same stuff.

Anyway I will leave it as that. To see what your responses to be.
    You've been told countless times before, but since you didn't listen those times I may as well re-iterate. If you've a problem with a mod abusing their power, bring it to Helpdesk. The admins value the standard user much more than the mod, so a mod abusing their power will be quickly dealt with.

But the mods aren't the problem, are they? It's the users. Why are there rules, do you think? If there were no rules, would everyone be civil and respect each other? Of course not. Hell, we've got rules in place to cut down on that and there are still muppets who insist on breaking them. If people insist on acting like children, they should be treated like children. When they grow up, then they can be treated with the same respect they show others.

humanji wrote: »
    You've been told countless times before, but since you didn't listen those times I may as well re-iterate. If you've a problem with a mod abusing their power, bring it to Helpdesk. The admins value the standard user much more than the mod, so a mod abusing their power will be quickly dealt with.

But the mods aren't the problem, are they? It's the users. Why are there rules, do you think? If there were no rules, would everyone be civil and respect each other? Of course not. Hell, we've got rules in place to cut down on that and there are still muppets who insist on breaking them. If people insist on acting like children, they should be treated like children. When they grow up, then they can be treated with the same respect they show others.

And you think this automatically immunizes some mods.
    Because mods do misbehave too. Don't try separate positions in termis of behaviour here.

So was everyone else warned countless times. But I got the banning no one else. I was insulted, rediculed, abused by maybe 3/4 posters too 1 on there.

It was ignored.

My problem was I didnt report it enough, and I reacted. But my reaction was nearly justifed because I never actually called anyone an insult or said anything degrading. My passion is to talk of the topic.

I have seen the most horrific things said to me, including my family aswell. I mean downright shocking.

Now from an outside looking in, you have to take the slack off my shoulder in that regard. As I said the mod has so much power, he can twist it to his advantage.

I'm not a child. I wasn't corrected, I was hawned at constantly. What was I supposed to do, with a 6 months ban. Some people behave like kids, So don't throw that **** on me. I'm not responsible for other people. i'm responsible for myself. You make it seem like i'm a bad guy. Which is just biased and outragous on your behalf.

Posting that a joke is not funny or crap on the huour borads is verboten the charter says so as doing that puts people off posting.

Which any of the humour mods would have told you if you had of asked instead of using your ban as a premise ot take shots at the site.

Posting that a joke is not funny or crap on the huour borads is verboten the charter says so as doing that puts people off posting.

Which any of the humour mods would have told you if you had of asked instead of using your ban as a premise ot take shots at the site.

I didn't I'm just giving my personal view of it. I didn't cause problems or protested my infraction I never made a big deal of it.

Guess I see what people don't see yet.

There will be so many rules, you won't be allowed make a mistake.:D

• Advertisement

And you think this automatically immunizes some mods.
    Because mods do misbehave too. Don't try separate positions in termis of behaviour here.

So was everyone else warned countless times. But I got the banning no one else. I was insulted, rediculed, abused by maybe 3/4 posters too 1 on there.

It was ignored.

My problem was I didnt report it enough, and I reacted. But my reaction was nearly justifed because I never actually called anyone an insult or said anything degrading. My passion is to talk of the topic.

I have seen the most horrific things said to me, including my family aswell. I mean downright shocking.

Now from an outside looking in, you have to take the slack off my shoulder in that regard. As I said the mod has so much power, he can twist it to his advantage.

I'm not a child. I wasn't corrected, I was hawned at constantly. What was I supposed to do, with a 6 months ban. You make it seem like im a bad guy. Which is just biased and outragous on your behalf.
    I've had people threaten myself and my family. I haven't been banned yet. And your ban was warranted because you consistently broke a rule on that forum. The idea of this site is for discussion of various topics. In order to keep the discussion flowing users are required to not drag to thread off topic and to not argue with mod decisions in the thread. You did both...again...and again...and again. That's why you were banned. Not because of a huge conspiracy against you. If you can't handle what people say to you on a web site, then I suggest you stay off the internet.

Also, I already said that if a mod misbehaves then you know the procedure to deal with it. But the users are what makes this site. And it's the users who are responsible for their own behavior. If the users refuse to act like adults then why should they be treated that way?

Guess I see what people don't see yet.

There will be so many rules, you won't be allowed make a mistake.:D

Funny thousands of post are made every day and they are never warned, infracted or banned. IF you keep falling a foul of the rules while thousands of others don't then you need to have a look at yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

eagle eye wrote: »
    While they are not the norm they are becoming more frequent occurences
    I disagree they're becoming more frequent occurrences - I can't see how they are.

I've had people threaten myself and my family. I haven't been banned yet. And your ban was warranted because you consistently broke a rule on that forum. The idea of this site is for discussion of various topics. In order to keep the discussion flowing users are required to not drag to thread off topic and to not argue with mod decisions in the thread. You did both...again...and again...and again. That's why you were banned. Not because of a huge conspiracy against you. If you can't handle what people say to you on a web site, then I suggest you stay off the internet.

Also, I already said that if a mod misbehaves then you know the procedure to deal with it. But the users are what makes this site. And it's the users who are responsible for their own behavior. If the users refuse to act like adults then why should they be treated that way?

In your biased opinion. People were attacking me lol... Table was turned on me;) by 1 person, not this again, again, again. I reported posts again, again and again. Again your wrong in this regard. So leave it be. :)

But of course shuuush. Let's just pretend what you say happened, cus it seems your story is like I wanted to be banned.

However, i'm allergic to bullshii!ters

In your biased opinion. People were attacking me lol... Table was turned on me;) by 1 person, not this again, again, again. I reported posts again, again and again. Again your wrong in this regard. So leave it be. :)

But of course shuuush. Let's just pretend what you say happened, cus it seems your story is like I wanted to be banned.

However, i'm allergic to bullshii!ters
    Oh, the irony. You have one hell of a persecution complex, you know that? You argued in thread. That's all. No conspiracy. You simply broke the rules and can't accept that. And that's the reason that this site needs so many rules. You and people like you refuse act civil and others have to suffer because of it. You're the cause of all the things you're complaining about.

Look at my wall, and look at preiouvs helpdesks/feedback threads about me.

I did and to be honest I wouldn't be using them as references if I were you. they make you seem a bit......eh.... You know those guys who live outside the dail in a house made out of placards? "The Government sterilised my sheep illegally" - that type of thing? that.

And I don't mean that in a good way.

Oh, the irony. You have one hell of a persecution complex, you know that? You argued in thread. That's all. No conspiracy. You simply broke the rules and can't accept that. And that's the reason that this site needs so many rules. You and people like you refuse act civil and others have to suffer because of it. You're the cause of all the things you're complaining about.

I behaved civil. AS I said I'm not responsible for others:) I'm not perfect, and i don't need to be penalised for not been perfect.

Don't play this tripe with me.

I did and to be honest I wouldn't be using them as references if I were you. they make you seem a bit......eh.... You know those guys who live outside the dail in a house made out of placards? "The Government sterilised my sheep illegally" - that type of thing? that.

And I don't mean that in a good way.

Well its seem you believe what you want. So kudoos to that.:)

What you believe, and what you see are two different things. Don't label me in brackets please. I wouldnt protest outside the dail for the time of day.

I would have more self respect than that.

I behaved civil. AS I said I'm not responsible for others:) I'm not perfect, and i don't need to be penalised for not been perfect.

Don't play this tripe with me.
    But you continually argued in thread. That's why you were banned. You were warned countless times and ignored them. That's why you were penalised. If everyone ignored the rules set in place there would be anarchy. Those who were insulting you were warned and/or infracted. Would you rather they weren't so that they could continue to insult you and anyone else?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,742 ✭✭✭✭Penn

But alot of people want me here.

But don't you see that the same applies to the Admins and Mods. They set the rules. The rules will never please everyone. But the rules don't need to please everyone. The majority of people on boards.ie seem to be fairly happy with the rules. So the Admins and Mods don't need to change anything. Majority rules.

And charters are constantly being updated and changed. Some rules added. Some rules taken away. Its a continuous process, and not an easy one for all the mods and admins to continuously keep track of.

The fact of the matter is this, you are unhappy with the rules. In some cases, you didn't follow them, and got punished for it. If you don't like that, then leave. Like you said, some people do want you here. But if you don't follow the rules, you'll be permanently banned.

Its your call mysterious. Either play ball, or get hit in the face with it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement