Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is boards becoming too PC, or dare I say a plastic bubble fantasy.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

mysterious wrote: »
    Well its seem you believe what you want. So kudoos to that.:)

What you believe, and what you see are two different things. Don't label me in brackets please. I wouldnt protest outside the dail for the time of day.

I would have more self respect than that.

well, I label you as I find you. Your wall is plastered with PM's regarding bannings that are really of no interest to anyone else, with your own comments printed underneath, and you spend all day in boards' "government interaction" forum, ranting and raving to everyone passing about issues that nobody can really understand.

You were saying something about self-respect?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

tbh wrote: »
    well, I label you as I find you. Your wall is plastered with PM's regarding bannings that are really of no interest to anyone else, with your own comments printed underneath, and you spend all day in boards' "government interaction" forum, ranting and raving to everyone passing about issues that nobody can really understand.

You were saying something about self-respect?

LOL:D You gave me a right good chuckle.

Yes I have self respect. But its' ironic that you judge me to be on here all day, when you have three times as many posts as me.

I think you need to ahem, take a deep breath "stop the finger pointing", You lack self judgment and give yourself a right good self respecting, before you kneejerk insinuations

You haven't an arm to depend on in that regard:)

Tooooooooo the rest of your post, No need to respond to the rest there:pac:

humanji wrote: »
    But you continually argued in thread. That's why you were banned. You were warned countless times and ignored them. That's why you were penalised. If everyone ignored the rules set in place there would be anarchy. Those who were insulting you were warned and/or infracted. Would you rather they weren't so that they could continue to insult you and anyone else?

I did not.:) I was provoked. I reacted once. Didn't get time to argue, giving the level of attacks anyway and been given prolonged bans They did contnue to insult me, in every way possible, until the mods didnt do anything about it and I reacted with "why are you not open minded" when the poster actually rediculed me and others throughout the thread and got away with it every single time and still gets away with it. To the point he is now on ignore by alot of people.

i got a 6month ban on the spot, when everyone got exempt from banning. That is woefully biased and against the policy of fairness here. People who even passed a few comments and did not agree with my views, seen the banning was unruly.

Why won't you drop it. You can argue with me, but you wont change the facts. I don't why you want to argue over this over and over, as you obviously have twisted it to your way of seeing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Why won't you drop it.
    I was thinking the exact same thought...

LOL:D You gave me a right good chuckle.

Yes I have self respect. But its' ironic that you judge me to be on here all day, when you have three times as many posts as me.

I think you need to ahem, take a deep breath "stop the finger pointing", You lack self judgment and give yourself a right good self respecting, before you kneejerk insinuations

You haven't an arm to depend on in that regard:)

Tooooooooo the rest of your post, No need to respond to the rest there:pac:

I was talking about feedback specifically. so your patronising tone is quite ironic, considering you misunderstood a quite simple analogy :)

Yes, I have three times as many posts as you, and do you know how many infractions I have? None. No current, none expired. In my six years in boards, I have been banned once. For two days. From After Hours. So you see, I can play at the boards.ie game waaaaaaay better than you. The rest of your post, I couldn't really understand.

• Advertisement

But don't you see that the same applies to the Admins and Mods. They set the rules. The rules will never please everyone. But the rules don't need to please everyone. The majority of people on boards.ie seem to be fairly happy with the rules. So the Admins and Mods don't need to change anything. Majority rules.

And charters are constantly being updated and changed. Some rules added. Some rules taken away. Its a continuous process, and not an easy one for all the mods and admins to continuously keep track of.

The fact of the matter is this, you are unhappy with the rules. In some cases, you didn't follow them, and got punished for it. If you don't like that, then leave. Like you said, some people do want you here. But if you don't follow the rules, you'll be permanently banned.

Its your call mysterious. Either play ball, or get hit in the face with it.

If everyone played by the rules and the mod was fit to do the job, we wouldnt be dicussing this right now. Be sure of that.

Of course I'm the bad guy... lol... so naughty, smack him cus i can mu ha ha hah a

Sad.....

I was talking about feedback specifically. so your patronising tone is quite ironic, considering you misunderstood a quite simple analogy :)

Yes, I have three times as many posts as you, and do you know how many infractions I have? None. No current, none expired. In my six years in boards, I have been banned once. For two days. From After Hours. So you see, I can play at the boards.ie game waaaaaaay better than you. The rest of your post, I couldn't really understand.

I know, and but when your "real"

people react emotive or interpersonal towards you. Because when your driect and blunt with a strong opnion, people either hate or love you. i'm not here to entertain people and look good for the craic.

If this is the game your implying, then no i am not going to play it.

I know, and but when your "real"

people react emotive or interpersonal towards you. Because when your driect and blunt with a strong opnion, people either hate or love you. i'm not here to entertain people and look good for the craic.

If this is the game your implying, then no i am not going to play it.

then you lose. thems the rules.

oh and by the way - posting on boards is playing the game. You either play, or you don't :)

then you lose. thems the rules.

nope, i play by the rules, but i don't respect anyone in authority who abuses the rules.

You should see how I operate in the workplace:) Managers respect me. Because I have self respect.

If anyone abuses the rules and the person in authority does this and still expects you too follow then and you then follow them, your an idiot. Well I'm sorry it doesn't work like that.

So people in power should ought a be in question;) I'm not talking about the owners of this site in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Imagine what its gonna be like when he comes back to CT, continues to break the rules and gets a perma-ban?!

• Advertisement

6th wrote: »
    Imagine what its gonna be like when he comes back to CT, continues to break the rules and gets a perma-ban?!

deadly, I'd say :D

6th wrote: »

So again you don't take responsiblity here 6th. You broken the rules.

But You've got the powah, and you selective on who you use this on.

So people in power should ought a be in question;) I'm not talking about the owners of this site in this case.

you are, because if you were right, 6th - I assume that's who you are talking about, lets all be adults here - wouldn't be a mod anymore. therefore, the admins disagree with basically everything you have ever said about him. As the admins make the rules, and you are posting on the site, you are playing by their rules :) I'm cleverer than you, and I'm right, so arguing is pointless :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,236 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

So again you don't take responsiblity here 6th. You broken the rules.

I wonder if the inability to see irony is an actual condition?

you are, because if you were right, 6th - I assume that's who you are talking about, lets all be adults here - wouldn't be a mod anymore. therefore, the admins disagree with basically everything you have ever said about him. As the admins make the rules, and you are posting on the site, you are playing by their rules :) I'm cleverer than you, and I'm right, so arguing is pointless :)

Well at least I can see the behaviour, issue at hand and be self honest.

I don't need to bull**** and put a blind eye over it, regardless of my position or power if you like.

Well at least I can see the behaviour, issue at hand and be self honest.

I don't need to bull**** and put a blind eye over it, regardless of my position or power if you like.

and yet you continue to post on boards. Break free from the chains, mysterious! Plow your own furrow and your supporters shall follow! And you can rule them like a god! Seriously, I've already provided you the links to start up your forum, I'll even pony up half the startup costs. Why don't you show us how a website should be run?

and yet you continue to post on boards. Break free from the chains, mysterious! Plow your own furrow and your supporters shall follow! And you can rule them like a god! Seriously, I've already provided you the links to start up your forum, I'll even pony up half the startup costs. Why don't you show us how a website should be run?

Where did you post links,

I'm not someone who thrives on power:pac:. For one it's the reason why I have not created my own forum. yet. i have a blog. I have many people who I mix with on here already.

My purpose is to separate power.
    Each person should have

Self respect
    Self honesty
    Self empowerment
    Self judgment
    Self authority.

If you give people this power. people will project these qualities back. If you don't believe me try it.

People follow, I do not follow, and I do not wish anyone to follow my beliefs or stances.

My reasoning, is for people to break out from the "system"

I only know to well I would have a huge following, but you see its not just not me.;) I believe in freedom. Something that doesn't exist in the real world and it certainly has lost touch on forums such as this.

ahh I see - it's a "take boards down from the inside" deal. I'll keep my eye on you so ;)

I'm not someone who thrives on power:pac:. .

you seem to talk about it a lot tho! Listen I can't help it if the only reason you would become a moderator was for the power. I promise you, it means nothing to me. Maybe I'm more enlightened than you too! :eek:

you seem to talk about it a lot tho! Listen I can't help it if the only reason you would become a moderator was for the power. I promise you, it means nothing to me. Maybe I'm more enlightened than you too! :eek:
    lol.........

If everyone had self responsilbility and self empowerement, we wouldnt be giving away our power and bull****ting around the "reality"

I never asked to be a mod, and It wouldn't bother me if I had the responsiblity of one or not.

• Advertisement

Infact, If everyone understood my above points.

There would be no governments and moderators on this forum.

Their would be no people protesting and complaining, because we have a self responsiblity.

It's like I find so much hypocrisy in today's society. We sit at home watch ****, eat **** and talk ****. We vote for people to give our power away. We lose our own power.

So when the people in power **** up,
    We blame them for having it go all wrong.

You all think your on the game, but none of you are. Just repetition.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

We sit at home ...and talk ****.

Yes.

Oh yes.

This is one point you make that I agree with - what is it? - one million percent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭espinolman

Do you think you are on the game ?

You guys all realise you are giving this guy exactly what he wants right?

I have been trying to figure out what it was about his writing style that didn't quite sit right (other than it being gibberish mostly) and I have figured it out. I won't say what it is I think as it would be untoward but you are far better off leaving this chap alone and leaving him to rattle against the system by himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,742 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Infact, If everyone understood my above points.

There would be no governments and moderators on this forum.

Their would be no people protesting and complaining, because we have a self responsiblity.

It's like I find so much hypocrisy in today's society. We sit at home watch ****, eat **** and talk ****. We vote for people to give our power away. We lose our own power.

So when the people in power **** up,
    We blame them for having it go all wrong.

Surely if you value self-responsibility so much, you wouldn't have broken charter rules and gotten banned. The rules for each forum are plain to see. As users of this site we have a responsibilty to read those before posting, and follow those rules.

Maybe you should show some self-responsibilty by admitting your faults, apologising for the mistakes you made and following the rules from now on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

Not sure which of the three threads to put this in but :

If there's boards becoming "PC" with a bit of censorship (yeah yeah yeah, we know it's a private sight and they can do what they want) , for whom is becoming a "bubble fantasy" ? What I mean is, I think it's the reporting of posts that's driving policy changes (a horrible serious word if ever there was one) rather than invidividual moderators saying "no to this, no to that no to the other". Registered Users are kept out of the decision making loop with reported posts though.

There's a thread on AH that just went up with the title "Shocking Tehran youtube clip". The thread could be about Iran in general, the election newstory or just the actual video of someone dying. But there's links to BBC and Youtube, two reputable sources. I suppose the moderator(s) could moderate the thread such as the child cancer one or let run wild with the sick jokes.

I think the thing on boards is kinda reflecting society in a way : some people are easily offended and scream "BAN THIS SICK FILTH!!!!" and there's also a few people who like the videos with the broken glass up the bum and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

To be fair, Boards.ie is exactly what the people who post on it are.
    If its a good spread across the demographic, then I suppose then yes, Boards.ie would represent the general opinion of the masses.

Except we dont use txt spk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

I don't think boards represents a majority in society. It represents a sizeable proportion of Irish people on the Internet but not exactly representative of everyone. I don't know what the gap is like though, reading the politics forum and comparing the broad view of the posters there compared with the results of the referendum on the govt. I don't think there's that much of a dissparity but there's a few more anti-Kenny people but there's also people who don't post there and just post "for the lulz".

so mabye that does represent Irish society in the sense that some people partake in Poltics and some don't. Lots of people like Games and there's a huge games forum.

Still though, what's the average boards' poster age ? I think the averge age of moderators was about 26 wasn't it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Well on that basis, do you think the Feedback forum is actually fairly and proportionately representative of the user base of boards.ie?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

good post OP
    agreed 100%.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement