Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prov drivers pulled over by Garda?

Options
  • 21-06-2009 12:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 49

Hi,
    I am just wondering was anybody in GALWAY driving on a provisional licence and pulled by the gardai?

What did they say to you? What was your excuse? What happened; were you let away?

PLEASE, NO SMART COMMENTS OR POST FROM PEOPLE SAYING STUFF LIKE 'OH PROVISIONAL DRIVERS SHOCULDNT BE DRIVING!!'

Just curious,

Many thanks in advamce,
    Gaillimh:D:D;););)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

This topic is not unique to Galway. I suggest you post in the Motors Forum which is more geared to Drivers.

OH PROVISIONAL DRIVERS SHOULDN'T BE DRIVING.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

sgthighway wrote: »
    This topic is not unique to Galway. I suggest you post in the Motors Forum which is more geared to Drivers.
    Even better, if you go to the Learning to Drive subforum, you can be patronised by a far lesser class of driver.

OP, pass the test. The Irish driving test is so basic that if it troubles you, you probably cannot tie your shoelaces without a responsible adult present.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Jugs82

Robbo wrote: »
    Even better, if you go to the Learning to Drive subforum, you can be patronised by a far lesser class of driver.

OP, pass the test. The Irish driving test is so basic that if it troubles you, you probably cannot tie your shoelaces without a responsible adult present.

No offence but thats b*****k

And as for the shoelace comments, thats just been a pric (no offence of course)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Jugs82 wrote: »

If you can't drive around an urban area for 20-30 minutes without either binning it or stalling it, I fail to see your calling on the road.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 my_ais

Gaillimh, ill actually answer your question as everyone else appears to be stuck up their own ar$e on the subject. I drove for two years on a provisional with my L plates up at all times, was stopped about three times in total (was waved through numerous check-points when i was clearly an unaccompanied driver). Twice i was asked which license i had, first time it was first provisional, second time it was second provisional when the law had changed and I should still have been accompanied, when i showed them i was told both times, by two different Gardai obviously to "go easy then"!!
    Ive since passed my test and never been stopped!! I guess if they are looking for reasons to get you then they will use it against you, otherwise, continue as you are

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

my_ais wrote: »
    Gaillimh, ill actually answer your question as everyone else appears to be stuck up their own ar$e on the subject

calm down :D
    a driver on a provisional should be accompanied at all times. never happens all the time in real life but it's the law

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭dafunk

JIZZLORD wrote: »
    a driver on a provisional should be accompanied at all times. never happens all the time in real life but it's the law

There's lotf of laws - it's hard to remember all of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Just sucks 'cause the law is kinda geared towards 17 year olds living at home with their parents.

I mean, I've my provisional now, but I've no one to sit next to my in the car. Himself hasn't even got his provisional (although I'm bugging him to get it)

So the only practise I'm gonna get is lessons? siht. I'm well fcuked then, since at 40+ euro a pop paying for (hopefully) 10 of them is a massive problem already.

Also, they're making me wait 6 months before I take the test so I get "practise". Which I can't get because uh, I've no one to practise with.

Sorry. Just a little ranty on the subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭gd1987

According to traffic blues theres no penalty for driving with a provisional, ya can even fill the back of your car with kids and play no seat belts.

As said already unless ya give them a reason to hassle ya about, you'll be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

What happens if a First time Provisional Licensed Driver crashes into me. Will his/her Insurance Company cover them if they are by themselves?

OP - If you get stopped and pass the attitude test I would imagine you will be okay once there are no offences.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

OP - If you get stopped and pass the attitude test I would imagine you will be okay once there are no offences.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

OP.... if you get a garda on a bad day you might be in trouble, if you are willing to take that risk then by all means - drive on !!

it IS illegal and the gardai have been told to enforce it.....but it all depends on how busy/lazy a garda is..... I'm pretty sure most of the time you will be allowed to continue on your journey.... but dont expect it to happen all the time.

Try to get your licence as fast as possible - take as many lessons as possible (too many people on the roads learn bad habits from parents teaching them to drive)

if everyone had official lessons it would mean a similar standard of driving throughout the country...unfortunately doesnt seem to be happening.

What happens if a First time Provisional Licensed Driver crashes into me. Will his/her Insurance Company cover them if they are by themselves?

yep.. the insurance companies came together and agreed to. they can then recoup costs of provisional driver

on ipod so too much hassle to find source, sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

JIZZLORD wrote: »

It does happen in some countries.

There's a reason that it's now called a "learner permit" instead of a "provisional licence".

There are some circumstances (eg people coming from countries that Ireland doesn't have a licence-trade-in arrangement with) where it's nonsense. Other than that, 'tis a very sensible idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Yeah, I'll admit that in Canada if you got caught driving unaccompanied you'd be hung out to dry by the cops.

Then again, lessons are cheaper. And everyone drives automatic so the test is easier as well.

Jugs82 wrote: »

What swearword is that? Bollock? Why only just one ...

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Stay legal, folks

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I find it disturbing that our government can pass a law & then the Gardai can decide whether to impliment it or not. Why bother with legislation, just let the Guards decide ?.

It should be 100% clear that, after a given date, everyone caught will be prosecuted.

Surely anyone driving unaccompanied would also be uninsured ?.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Have my full licence a couple of years now but I drove out to Tuam unaccompanied to take my driving test out there.

I passed anyway but imagine failing and being allowed to drive home unaccompanied - only in Ireland! :D :rolleyes:

They weren't as strict back then though. I doubt I'd chance it now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

was chatting to a guard out the last night and i asked him about this because i was after starting a new job and when my hours increased would need to get on the road and its not exactly feasabile to drag someone around with you every day you have to go to work like comon FFS!
    and he said that they wont call you up on that alone BUT if theres anything else wrong like no L plates,tax,insurance etc then they would do you for the whole lot together.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I drove with L-plates on my own in and out of town while I was waiting for the test, having first gotten myself a bunch of lessons and a bit of confidence behind the wheel.
    As they were rubbish plates (non-adhesive, static flaps of plastic) and kept faling down, I binned them, replaced them and they too fell off. Couldn't find decent L-plates anywhere.

Never been stopped, but then I don't drive like a loon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

was chatting to a guard out the last night and i asked him about this because i was after starting a new job and when my hours increased would need to get on the road and its not exactly feasabile to drag someone around with you every day you have to go to work like comon FFS!

I'm not judging you or anything as I did the same myself years ago, but you've gotta bear in mind that the provisional license is a license to learn to drive, not to drive to work, drive to the shops etc. Its not feasible to get someone to accompany you to work every day but it should be feasible to get someone to accompany you for a few evenings a week for a few months til you pass the test. Some people really take the piss, driving around on a provisional license for years and not bothering to ever take/pass the test cause they can get away with it. Sorry if I'm sounding judgemental, I don't mean to be, I'm just pointing out that a provisional license isn't supposed to permit you to drive to the same extent as a full license. I can't really blame people for treating it like a full license though, with the driving test waiting lists as long as they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

I was going to post something similar to Cornbb, but wee Banshee Bones seems so cute & I didn't want to upset her! :pac:

But yeah, it's yet another law that some people are so blase about. It's easy to be blase until a provisional driver bumps your car, their insurance say the claim is invalid cos they were unaccompanied & therefore driving illegally, mucho hassle ensues.

I know people have to get to work, but there's been plenty of time now to take a test (or two). There's no excuse really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭galwaybob

the law is cock. Some of the best drivers in the country are on provisional's

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Discodog wrote: »
    Surely anyone driving unaccompanied would also be uninsured ?.

In any other country, yes that would be correct.

However here it seems that driving legally (sober, within the speed limit, with an appropriate licence, etc) is not a requirement for insurance cover. No idea why.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

JustMary wrote: »
    In any other country, yes that would be correct.

However here it seems that driving legally (sober, within the speed limit, with an appropriate licence, etc) is not a requirement for insurance cover. No idea why.

Would you rather be left out of pocket because an a speeding drink driver hit you ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

galwaybob wrote: »

So why don't you prove it by passing the test & getting a licence?

Or should we just have a free for all, where everyone can drive without any need to prove competence?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

galwaybob wrote: »

Maybe, but not a single one has been tested successfully, so there's no evidence to back up your remarkable claim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

JustMary wrote: »

I'm pretty sure that's not the case. I've worked for insurance companies in the past (although not motor insurance companies) and they will do anything they can to avoid paying out a claim, like worn tyres or driving over the limit. I made a claim for theft once and the guy they sent to check out the car (after it was recovered) gave it a good going over to make sure it was roadworthy. I'm not sure if it extends to "lesser" offences like blown lightbulbs or driving unaccompanied though.

Advertisement