Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prov drivers pulled over by Garda?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭galwaybob

big b wrote: »
    So why don't you prove it by passing the test & getting a licence?

Or should we just have a free for all, where everyone can drive without any need to prove competence?

Look the test as it stands does not prove driver competence at all imo.
    Some of the most atrocious drivers I have ever known have passed it first time while some of the best drivers I know have failed it for some silly infraction which would never be an issue in the real world

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

galwaybob wrote: »
    Look the test as it stands does not prove driver competence at all imo.
    Some of the most atrocious drivers I have ever known have passed it first time while some of the best drivers I know have failed it for some silly infraction which would never be an issue in the real world

Not much I need add to that, really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

cornbb wrote: »
    I'm not judging you or anything as I did the same myself years ago, but you've gotta bear in mind that the provisional license is a license to learn to drive, not to drive to work, drive to the shops etc. Its not feasible to get someone to accompany you to work every day but it should be feasible to get someone to accompany you for a few evenings a week for a few months til you pass the test. Some people really take the piss, driving around on a provisional license for years and not bothering to ever take/pass the test cause they can get away with it. Sorry if I'm sounding judgemental, I don't mean to be, I'm just pointing out that a provisional license isn't supposed to permit you to drive to the same extent as a full license. I can't really blame people for treating it like a full license though, with the driving test waiting lists as long as they are.
    big b wrote: »
    I was going to post something similar to Cornbb, but wee Banshee Bones seems so cute & I didn't want to upset her! :pac:

But yeah, it's yet another law that some people are so blase about. It's easy to be blase until a provisional driver bumps your car, their insurance say the claim is invalid cos they were unaccompanied & therefore driving illegally, mucho hassle ensues.

I know people have to get to work, but there's been plenty of time now to take a test (or two). There's no excuse really.

Ah lads yeah i hear what ye are saying. I understand, like obviously if i get a car i would try and be accompanied as much as i could like ya know, all my mates are full license holders anyway that id be driving around with anyway! so it really would only be going to work. My biggest incentive to pass would be to bring my insurance down! Believe me that would make me want to pass my test fairly lively! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

jhegarty wrote: »
    Would you rather be left out of pocket because an a speeding drink driver hit you ?

Nope!

The system here is good in that compulsory insurance increases the chance that the person who hits me will have insurance, and thus decreases the chance that my insurance will have to cover the cost. So it's good for me.

But I'm not sure that it's good for society: the fact that you are still insured even when you are breaking the law removes one of the incentives to stay legal. (Urgh, that's a horrible sentence. But you know what i mean).

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

cornbb wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure that's not the case. I've worked for insurance companies in the past (although not motor insurance companies) and they will do anything they can to avoid paying out a claim, like worn tyres or driving over the limit. I made a claim for theft once and the guy they sent to check out the car (after it was recovered) gave it a good going over to make sure it was roadworthy. I'm not sure if it extends to "lesser" offences like blown lightbulbs or driving unaccompanied though.

Glad to hear it.

I can't see that driving without a licence is a lesser offence: there is no such thing as a "provisional licence" any more, they're now called "learner permits" and do not allow you to drive unaccompanied.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭listowel1

have never been pulled over yet!!

anybody know how long waiting list is in westside now for driving test,hopefully not too far off topic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

After buying my first car, I drove around without an L place for 5 months. Got the licence then and of course it wasn't a problem. During that period I drove every weekend up and down from Dublin to Leitrim and drove down to Doolin on one particular occasion. Never stopped once. In fact since then I've never been stopped. I don't bring attention to myself when driving and as such have no reason to be stopped. I'm not advocating that people drive without L plates but what I'm saying is that if you want to drive without one you can do it if you're smart enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭MattKid

They were stopping cars in Doughiska on Saturday to see licenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

I've never ever been pulled over or breathalysed or anything in 8 years of driving, that just seems wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

After years of never being stopped saw them stopping certain cars in Westside today. I was beckoned forward, wearing a suit so seems to make a difference. However the three I saw them stopping were all rather young drivers. A little aside, buy my friend in Millstreet uses boards.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Tribesman29

Phew, passed the test on Monday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭pandamoanium

Phew, passed the test on Monday.

Congrats on passing your test!

You must be delighted with yourself!

I have my test next week - not looking forward to it at all!

What route did you get taken on?

I don't know Westside well at all.. hence me looking for some good pre-tester but I'm at a loss! :(

Keeping on topic...

Anyone here been watching that new RTE show Traffic Blues? The amount of Learner Drivers that get pulled over and have no accompanied driver or L Plates and off they get sent on their merry way with no court summons or large fine.. it doesn't really send out the right message does it?

I'll admit after seeing those episodes I'm tempted to go out by myself, sometimes I feel like I'm the only muppet who bothers to obey the law and only driver when I have a full licenced holder with me.. *sighs*

Oh and regarding people not getting stopped at checkpoints etc.. I have - 3 times already! I don't drive erratic or draw attention to myself, I just seem to encounter loads of checkpoints lately.. maybe it's just me though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

Congrats on passing your test!

You must be delighted with yourself!

I have my test next week - not looking forward to it at all!

What route did you get taken on?

I don't know Westside well at all.. hence me looking for some good pre-tester but I'm at a loss! :(

Keeping on topic...

Anyone here been watching that new RTE show Traffic Blues? The amount of Learner Drivers that get pulled over and have no accompanied driver or L Plates and off they get sent on their merry way with no court summons or large fine.. it doesn't really send out the right message does it?

I'll admit after seeing those episodes I'm tempted to go out by myself, sometimes I feel like I'm the only muppet who bothers to obey the law and only driver when I have a full licenced holder with me.. *sighs*

Oh and regarding people not getting stopped at checkpoints etc.. I have - 3 times already! I don't drive erratic or draw attention to myself, I just seem to encounter loads of checkpoints lately.. maybe it's just me though!

have you ben stopped in checkpoints in galway?

i am a newly extablished provisional driver and would like to know how many of ye have been stopped recently on the road for checking of licences?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭gary82

They had a checkpoint setup on that steep road between Wood Quay (near Argos) and Prospect Hill the other day.

I was walking up, realised I forgot to get something in Lidl.... turned around and headed back.... it was just after turning back I realised how sus I must have looked!! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I've been driving in Galway City since 5 years or so and never was stopped.
    Was stopped in other counties though but only for breathalyser, speeding and discs check.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

I read that title wrong, thought it had something to do with IRA people being pulled over :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

KevR wrote: »

I'd like to see a breakdown of those figures, how many were drivers with everything in order, in a respectful(not a boy racer type)car and no additional offences(speeding etc....)... i'd say it's fairly low.

Advertisement