Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Courtmacsherry Scum

Options
  • 21-06-2009 12:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

Went for a trip to Courmac today in the hope of doing a bit of light fishing with the kids. We were appalled by the amount of thick green scum floating around the water and gathering along the waterfront in huge quantities, surely a fantastic example of pollution from sewage/nitrate runoff if ever there was one. I won't be going back there in a hurry. Does anyone else lament the downfall of this area? Does it coincide with the boom in housing developments there over the last decade or so?:eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Darn I thought you were referring to the locals.... ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Those fellas from Buttevant get everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Mick Regan

The algae has been appearing for about the last 10 years and it seems the cause is known.

Here's the official lowdown:

Scientific studies say the weed is fertilised by untreated waste water, and nutrient run-off from silage spreading. In view of the urgent situation, silage-spreading was voluntarily reduced by local farmers and a new waste-water treatment plant was designed and approved by Cork County Council. Construction of the plant faces delays as the relatively modest budget awaits approval in the Department of the Environment.

The bay is also supposed to be designated an Area of Special Conservation in 2009 - work that one out!?

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭BMurr

Perhaps the area of conservation is supposed to conserve scum, since that seems to be what the government is best at these days :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 rebelbabe

we have a holiday home down there, and i only had a proper look around last month and tbh i was disgusted at the state of the area, i remember years ago when that area was lovely, now i wont go near it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Johnnyjump

It was lovely a few years ago. That's disappointing to hear.

Advertisement