Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about inking comics

Options
  • 21-06-2009 12:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭

Seeing as I hope to produce a comic this Summer, I need to get some proper materials. The most important thing on my mind, is how I'm going to ink it.
    At the moment, when I'm inking a drawing I just use Staedtler pigment liners of various sizes, but I don't think they're appropriate for doing proper work with as each line I draw leaves a small ink blotch at the end.

A good while ago, Ztoical suggested Rapidograph pens to me, but they're a bit too pricey for me at the moment. I've looked up Mapping pens and they seem suitable (keeping in mind that I tend to draw lots of little details in my art), does anyone have any experience with them?
    More to the point, what pens do you guys use in particular? I'm really completely clueless on the matter! And are there any shops in Ireland that sell good pens?

Also, what's good paper to use? :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Patrick Brown

Sounds like you're looking for a regular, fine line rather than a variable one. I like the Pilot Hi-Tecpoint, a disposable liquid ink needle-point ball pen you can get in any decent high street stationery shop. I did my 24 Hour Comic with one.

Smooth finish paper is best for penwork (a rougher finish suits brushwork better). I'd suggest Daler-Rowney Heavyweight, which is smooth and sturdy and you can get in A3 pads in most art supply shops.

My own technique is pretty idiosyncratic so I wouldn't necessarily suggest you follow it. Here's a blog post explaining how I do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

I think I suggested a bunch of different things not just Rapidographs. Deleter g-pen nibs are the best to start with for inking, they are good all purpose nib and you move from there to other nibs. Of course I think brush is the best way to ink. You can pick up a pen holder and starter pack of 3 nibs from A4 [or is it A1?] art supplies beside NCAD, they also sell the deleter inks. Check the numbers on the bottle and start with number 1 good all purpose water proof good starter ink and when you want to get more into your ink choices check this out first

As for paper Bristol - I know go on and on about this but Bristol is the best paper as long as not cold press. Strathmore vellum-surfaced bristol, acid free, takes all inks both nib and brush well.

And if you haven't been checking it, start reading Comic tools fantastic resource.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭livingtargets

ztoical wrote: »
    I think I suggested a bunch of different things not just Rapidographs. Deleter g-pen nibs are the best to start with for inking, they are good all purpose nib and you move from there to other nibs. Of course I think brush is the best way to ink. You can pick up a pen holder and starter pack of 3 nibs from A4 [or is it A1?] art supplies beside NCAD, they also sell the deleter inks.

Yeah,A4 Art (beside NCAD and opposite Vicar St) is the best for Deleter nibs and ink.They have a Deleter pen with three different sized nibs that costs
    6.99 or something that`s well worth getting.

I use little tiny 20g pots of drawing ink from germany that ye can get for a euro each in A4 Art(a pack of six different colour inks for six euro)that are fantastic and not too dear.They look like they came from Aldi but it`s good quality stuff and it dries quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Saruwatari

Thanks everyone! I've scribbled down what was suggested, I'll be heading into Dublin soon so at least this time I know what to buy.
    Go raibh míle.

Advertisement