Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Porcupine Tree-The Incident

• 21-06-2009 1:28am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,461 ✭✭✭✭

Well, Steve Wilson and co. have been back in the studio, writing new songs for what will become 'The Incident', to be released in September. First studio teaser has been released.

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/video/view.aspx?songID=2503

Not much to go on, but thats the idea. Gavin Harrison's drumming....I'm almost speechless. Sounds amazing, love his style, love the sound of his kit in general...perfection.

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/news/PORCUPINE-TREE-REVEAL-DETAILS-OF-THE-INCIDENT-20315.aspx
    Roadrunner wrote:
    New York, NY - Grammy-nominated UK recording artist Porcupine Tree have confirmed the title of their tenth studio album: The Incident. The captivating new record is set to be released on Roadrunner Records on September 22, as a double CD.

The Incident is a stunning 55-minute musical statement, described by vocalist/guitarist/songwriter Steven Wilson as “a slightly surreal song cycle about beginnings and endings and the sense that ‘after this, things will never be the same again.’” The seeds of the idea that led to The Incident came to Wilson as he became caught up in a highway traffic jam while driving past an accident.

“There was a sign saying ‘POLICE – INCIDENT’ and everyone was slowing down to rubber neck to see what had happened,” he recalls. “Afterwards, it struck me that ‘incident’ is a very detached word for something so destructive and traumatic for the people involved. And then I had the sensation that the spirit of someone that had died in the accident entered into my car and was sitting next to me.

“The irony of such a cold expression for such seismic events appealed to me, and I began to pick out other ‘incidents’ reported in the media and news,” continues Wilson. “I wrote about the evacuation of teenage girls from a religious cult in Texas, a family terrorizing its neighbors, a body found floating in a river by some people on a fishing trip, and more. Each song is written in the first person and tries to humanize the detached media reportage.”

Additionally, Wilson delved back into incidents in his own life that had profoundly affected him, including a lost childhood friendship, a séance, his first love and the day that he decided to give up secure employment to follow his dream of making music.

The self-produced album is completed by four standalone compositions that developed out of band writing sessions last December – “Flicker,” “Bonnie The Cat,” “Black Dahlia” and “Remember Me Lover” – housed on a separate CD to stress their independence from the title track.

Porcupine Tree – completed by Gavin Harrison (drums), Colin Edwin (bass), and Richard Barbieri (keyboards) – took a video camera into the recording studio, capturing a few moments to share with fans. Explore the behind-the-scenes footage here.

Coming to the recording sessions following his first ever solo album, November 2008’s Insurgentes, Wilson admits that the experience of having worked alone affected the direction of The Incident. “Possibly because of having done that, this record is darker, expansive, and more experimental,” he theorizes. “But when I write for Porcupine Tree, I know the sound I’m after.”

Porcupine Tree’s latest masterpiece The Incident will be released September 22.

And for what is believed to be the album artwork:

http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/106/l_61e8dd13dc3542a784ed28b29a3dcd7d.jpg

As should have said above...Disc 1 will be a 55 minute epic. I saw a breakdown of the songs for this, its divided into 14 parts, so short enough. All I can say is that I am very excited by this, and two/three weeks later will see them in London:D

Also, what is it with English bands, September, and titles such as 'the Incident' and 'The Resistance'?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Ohh, sounds excellent, it will be very hard to top Fear Of A Blank Planet though, an incredible album that's constantly on my play list. Really looking forward to this, and perhaps a gig or two.:cool:
    edit, just found the track listing

Occam's Razor 1:55
    The Blind House 5:47
    Great Expectations 1:26
    Kneel and Disconnect 2:03
    Drawing the Line 4:43
    The Incident 5:20
    Your Unpleasant Family 1:48
    The Yellow Windows of the Evening Train 2:00
    Time Flies 11:40
    Degree Zero of Liberty 1:45
    Octane Twisted 5:03
    The Séance 2:39
    Circle of Manias 2:18
    I Drive the Hearse 6:41

and three dates of the UK Tour.
    6th December - Wolverhampton Civic Hall
    8th December - Newcastle Academy
    11th December - Glasgow ABC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Another to put on the must buy list. PT are a band that has always top albums, and if they can match or beat Fear Of A Blank Planet, then this will be amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,461 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

galwayrush wrote: »
    Ohh, sounds excellent, it will be very hard to top Fear Of A Blank Planet though, an incredible album that's constantly on my play list. Really looking forward to this, and perhaps a gig or two.:cool:
    edit, just found the track listing

Occam's Razor 1:55
    The Blind House 5:47
    Great Expectations 1:26
    Kneel and Disconnect 2:03
    Drawing the Line 4:43
    The Incident 5:20
    Your Unpleasant Family 1:48
    The Yellow Windows of the Evening Train 2:00
    Time Flies 11:40
    Degree Zero of Liberty 1:45
    Octane Twisted 5:03
    The Séance 2:39
    Circle of Manias 2:18
    I Drive the Hearse 6:41

and three dates of the UK Tour.
    6th December - Wolverhampton Civic Hall
    8th December - Newcastle Academy
    11th December - Glasgow ABC

Yeah, dunno why /i couldn't find that list.

Other UK dates are:
    8th October-Leeds
    9th October-London
    10th October-Bristol

Tickets in hand for London date(well, back in Ireland anyway), and to top off the weekend...Dream Theater/Opeth the day after:D

Mushy wrote: »
    Yeah, dunno why /i couldn't find that list.

Tickets in hand for London date(well, back in Ireland anyway), and to top off the weekend...Dream Theater/Opeth the day after:D

FFS, that will be some weekend, ..:eek:.................scurries off to source tickets for all 3 gigs.

GalwayRush, I should point out that Opeth are supporting Dream Theater, so its only 2 gigs. Makes it a bit cheaper:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

Looking forward to this, as said above it will be hard to beat FOABP but then again Steve Wilson is a bloody genius so anything's possible.

Dont think I will make the London gigs so hopefully they might dismiss the bad attendence of their previous Irish outing and come over next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭mc nuggets

Nea wrote: »

Dont think I will make the London gigs so hopefully they might dismiss the bad attendence of their previous Irish outing and come over next year.

Hears hoping.

The only thing worrying me at the mo is that a lot of the songs on this album seem to be very short, only five songs are over five minutes in lenght and im wondering how this'll work.
    However, the concept is very interesting and I have faith in Mr. Wilson that the album will be a cracker.

Roll on September :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 actung87!

sounds good,porcupine tree usually get it spot on.synth parts in that clip sounded really great.
    they have so many good albums.
    in absentia,deadwing,fear of ablank planet even the nil recurring was really good.what are the chances of them playing in ireland?pretty bleak i suppose eh

http://www.myspace.com/porcupinetree

Bit of an audio preview there. My love for electronic beats and anything Gavin Harrison related has increased tenfold. Really hope I get to meet him now, I think he has overtaken Portnoy as my favourite drummer.

Mushy wrote: »
    GalwayRush, I should point out that Opeth are supporting Dream Theater, so its only 2 gigs. Makes it a bit cheaper:D

Fantastic, i get to see both bands for the first time.:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

The first time I saw both Dream Theater & Porcupine Tree live was in London in 2001, PT were supporting DT. Have my ticket & flight to DT in London already. Do you think PT will sell out?

Oral Slang wrote: »
    The first time I saw both Dream Theater & Porcupine Tree live was in London in 2001, PT were supporting DT. Have my ticket & flight to DT in London already. Do you think PT will sell out?

PT is probably sold out already(London). I got my tickets and the best available were up near the back, so thats my basis for assumption, and that was back in March.

As for DT, just got my flights sorted. Flying Thursday to Stansted, should be a cracking few days. Getting very excited about it all!

Album is out now people. Got it in Dundrum, don't think the teller knew what was going on when i asked him:D Quite good, the songs on the 2nd disc aren't that great, bar Bonnie The Cat. Drawing the Line The Incident are my favorite tracks so far.

Goody
    Have it on pre order so hopefully will get it sooner.
    I bought Lightbulb Sun a couple of weeks ago, its so good, on constant play since I got it

Got it, and already it's growing stronger with each listen.There's a lot of good stuff going on in there, it will take a while to grasp it all,:cool:

This album has taken me ages to get into it unlike any other PT material. It is growing stronger with each listen but it definately didnt hit me with a smack in the face like FOABP did. Need further listens to comment more. Too many albums out this month to listen to.

Setlist looked great for London, did all who travelled enjoy?

Advertisement