Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange situation with renting room

Options
  • 21-06-2009 2:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Today we had a new guy from Spain moving to our house. After very long time we had finally someone who can move in.
    He came with his friend again as he is not speaking english very well. I gave them details about house and asked to fill in form with details to give him receipt and agreement. As he was moving only for 2.5 months I did not asked for full deposit. We agreed that he will pay the other day first part for the rent and deposit.
    He moved his stuff to the room and they went to Tesco. I was waiting long time for him (whole day - as he was posponing his arrival) I gave the details to other house mates that he will be back and gave him keys and went out. After 40 minutes my house mate called me that the new guy have to move out, that his employer called that he needs him back in Spain.
    Now I'm concerned what to do. It is looking that not even we do not have a person for the room and our rent next month will be high (landlord already decreased rent), but we will need to invest in changing locks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

So your Spanish renter is gone and you need someone else to help with the rent? You can post all the details of the place on this thread and advertise the room. Have you looked on Daft.ie? They have a house share section. Also place ads in the windows of all nearby shops and with any local large employers (many people move to an area to be close to work).

Have you told the landlord about your situation? Perhaps they might be sympathetic and offer a little help.

If you're coming to the end of your contract you could move to a smaller place – it may work out cheaper to settle up the remaining months and move out.

Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Hm. Next time ask for a deposit. Sorry to hear about your experience.

Advertisement