Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Honda CIVIC EG9..worth the hassle?

• 21-06-2009 2:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

hi, was thinking of buying a saloon civic. loved them so much. my da had one when i was younger and this FERIO was a beast. always thought they were 1.5DOHC but as i grew older, found out it was a SOHC

anyways, i was thinkig of buy one and fixing it up since i wont be able to get insured on it (i'm 18 with provisional, but test in 5 weeks). so i just wanted to know are they worth it since they are pretty old...and which one to get, the Lsi, Vti, Sir?

i was actually thinking of throwing in my mate's B16 from his written off EK9

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Theirs no hassle with them once you find a good example of one. alot of them have been driven to the balls, so I would be more inclined to look for a standard eg9, one thats not modified (which can be tricky enough).

As for which model, it would depend on what you want. If you want a dohc I would say the vti. Mainly because the sir is a jap import and your insurence will be a nice bit more than a vti and you have a better chance of getting insured on the vti.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 i_have_scutts

yeah, a standard one is gonna be tricky to find.....and your dead right that they get driven to the balls :(

was calculating the price if i drop a new engine, transmission and axles in, its gonna cost a lot. :(

i think i should leave the engine swap and all out of the equation....but thats if i get a vti/sir

oh, is there any EG9 with rear discs?? apart from the vti and sir? because i'm not quite sure...and if so, are they vtec? (yes...the dreaded vtec question ha)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

yeah, a standard one is gonna be tricky to find.....and your dead right that they get driven to the balls :(

was calculating the price if i drop a new engine, transmission and axles in, its gonna cost a lot. :(

i think i should leave the engine swap and all out of the equation....but thats if i get a vti/sir

oh, is there any EG9 with rear discs?? apart from the vti and sir? because i'm not quite sure...and if so, are they vtec? (yes...the dreaded vtec question ha)

I presume you mean you want a DOHC which is the more powerful version of VTEC? VTI/Sir is all you should be looking into really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 143 ✭✭lil-evil

Buy a VTi , you'd pick one up cheap enough and then throw in CTR cams into it ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭ronanc15

Differences between a VTi and SiR are minimal.

Having owned a sohc eg and an eg9 SiR, I can tell you they're a great car. Practical as well as nippy :D Please just dont get sucked into "Vtec Syndrome".......(thinking its the fastest vehicle on the planet).

Also a lot of insurance companys just put down SiRs as Vtis on their system

• Advertisement

omg the vtec syndrome :pac: i dont see why ppl think vtec is godsent..i love my hondas..love the vavle timing...but i hate how boyracers think their cars are untouchable with it :L:L

yes i was hoping to get a DOHC....actually, i didnt know to get the dohc or sohc...but i do now (thanks to all the comments)

how cheap do you think the Vti go for???
    and how much would the CTR's cams be??:confused:

JUST WANNA TAKE THIS MOMENT TO SAY A BIG THANKS TO THE PPLS WHO CONTRIBUTED WITH THIS TOPIC :D

just wanted to know what would be a reasonable mileage?

and what would be high? just to have an indication on what to pay:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,676 ✭✭✭mondeo

eg's are lovely cars, years back I had a 1.5Dual carb. It was nippy enough and i loved it.. but had to sell it because local idiots were constantly trying to lift it. So I sold it to a friend in Blackrock who had it for years of trouble free motoring before selling it off. You dont see them on the road as much as you did 5 years ago. I'd go for it, Any jap vtec model will have more power then the irish ones wthout a doubt. You may aswell go for the best one the "sir".

mondeo wrote: »
    Any jap vtec model will have more power then the irish ones wthout a doubt. You may aswell go for the best one the "sir".

On our petrol, differences are minimal, vti's can be got cheaper and are much easier on insurance so its hardly worth the extra money for a few bhp

draffodx wrote: »
    On our petrol, differences are minimal, vti's can be got cheaper and are much easier on insurance so its hardly worth the extra money for a few bhp

I reckon thats pretty debatable. My sir wasnt on the hibernian system and had to be put down as a vti, so it could well turn out the exact same insurance wise. Onyl way to find out is to get a few quotes.

• Advertisement

ronanc15 wrote: »
    I reckon thats pretty debatable. My sir wasnt on the hibernian system and had to be put down as a vti, so it could well turn out the exact same insurance wise. Onyl way to find out is to get a few quotes.

when was that though? since the recession insurance companies have come down hard on imports

Ya I suppose it was over 6months ago, never thought of that!

got a quote from my insurers (AXA :D) they said it would be an extra 180 for a lsi and 200 for a 1.5vtec

requirements on a 1.6vtec: 25years old, 2years NCB, and full license :(

so i went down to buy the car yesterday....to my disgust it was sold on sunday :(

think i'll just leave the car altogether :(

25 to drive a vtec??? Get yourself a new insurance company buddy!

they said they'd insure me on a 1.5vtec but not on a 1.6vtec

wtf?????:mad:

they said they'd insure me on a 1.5vtec but not on a 1.6vtec

wtf?????:mad:

insurance companies just dont want to insure new "risky" cars you have to ask more a manager or supervisor and argue with them these days

i went down to the dealership to buy the car on tuesday......the car was sold on sunday :(
    :(

how do i end this topic? or should i leave it open for future :)

how do i end this topic? or should i leave it open for future :)

I'll close it, seeing as its old enough and you dont require anymore info on the subject

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement