Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DIY Garage

• 21-06-2009 10:26am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭

Excellant idea, they're claiming to be the first of it's kind in europe - www.pitstartgarage.com
    And they're open 24 hours!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Won't be removing much engines by the looks of them lifts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,095 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Didn't someone here have a similar idea to this last year? I seem to remember people thought that tool theft and liability issues would be the big problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

think it was darragh25

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

I was talking to a German guy last weekend and he was telling me there are loads of places like it in Germany, definatly not the 1st of it's kind anyway.

I think they idea is great. I would rather pay a few quid and use something like this with lifts than go through hardsship at the side of the road/on my drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

I think its a great idea. The whole issue with people robbing tools would be something to think about but other than that I think its great. No more servicing in the pissing rain!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

IIRC there was one in North of England years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭dsane1

I think there was one in Dublin industrial estate (glasnevin) ,but too many tools were stolen and it closed a few years ago ,if i recall correctly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 alanjfinn

correct there was indeed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 134 ✭✭jimbobjones40

I'd be interested in doing something like this but what kind of money would people be willing to pay?

For insurance some kind of car club would have to be setup were each member gives a deposit towards the excess. The excess would have to be very large or no insurance company would want to give a quote.

I wouldn't be too worried about the tools getting stolen. As for a start I'd have a very strict membership policy . . . . if you drive a Honda Civic 1.3 with plastic bits stuck on you wont be getting in!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

if you drive a Toyota Starlet Turbo or any Honda with plastic bits stuck on you wont be getting in!

I'd say they are the ones with the money and the mods/maintenance to do to their cars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 134 ✭✭jimbobjones40

jozi wrote: »
    I'd say they are the ones with the money and the mods/maintenance to do to their cars.

True but their also the most likely to claim/steal!
    In this business if one claim goes through the insurance company your finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭engrish?

True but their also the most likely to claim/steal!
    In this business if one claim goes through the insurance company your finished.

You could not allow a car to exit unless all the tools that were taken are returned, also take a deposit or credit card just incase. Can't imagine it being that difficult to manage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭anon11

All well and good, until someone puts a wheel on arseways or damages something and ends up causing an accident on the road:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Their website spells "brakes" as "breaks". A pet hate. Other than that it's a good idea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

I don't think it will work here, this is Ireland after all we are talking about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

I could see it working in Ireland - but Im sure the price woould be well above £10 an hour as advertised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I think it's a good idea in theory. But there is alot more to worry about that people just driving in to fix there cars for their set time, and then leaving.

Took me 18 hours to service a Bora one day, what if that happened in there? And all the people booked in behind me couldn't get in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

I think it's a good idea in theory. But there is alot more to worry about that people just driving in to fix there cars for their set time, and then leaving.

Took me 18 hours to service a Bora one day, what if that happened in there? And all the people booked in behind me couldn't get in?

The infamous "Oil Filter gate" :D ...saw the pics of it on that vag ireland site once upon a time! I admire your persistance!

All joking aside I'd be willing to use such a service took me 4 hours to remove and change a CAT where it would have taken around an hour if I'd access to a lift, but don't think it would work too well in Ireland Irish people seem to think a car wil do massive miles on minimal maintenace I've witnessed and am sure many of you have first hand!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

The infamous "Oil Filter gate" :D ...saw the pics of it on that vag ireland site once upon a time! I admire your persistance!

All joking aside I'd be willing to use such a service took me 4 hours to remove and change a CAT where it would have taken around an hour if I'd access to a lift.

+1 actually. Changing my cars suspension last week it would of save half the time, worth the 10-20 euro extra IMO.

I would use it, I just wouldn't run it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

for tool theft you could very easil use RFID scanners on the doors (kind of like long distance radio barcoding) the good ones are designed to read 100's of tags a second and can read tags on pallets inside of trucks, so id say it could set of an alarm or atleast keep a barrier closed if a car had tools from the garage in it

on the booking in front, that one in the UK jst seems to have a car park like "free spaces yes/no" look about it, no booking, just show up and see, which would solve many a problem including the 18 hour oil-filter gate scenario

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

for tool theft you could very easil use RFID scanners on the doors (kind of like long distance radio barcoding) the good ones are designed to read 100's of tags a second and can read tags on pallets inside of trucks, so id say it could set of an alarm or atleast keep a barrier closed if a car had tools from the garage in it

Herself works for Black and Decker/DeWalt, and DeWalt have an RFID system they're going to be installing as an optional extra into the 2010 Transit Connect to let you know if you've left any tools behind when you're leaving a job. Ford are also installing a PC into the dash for printing invoices on the spot, or researching how-to's, etc. Clever clever stuff, but it shows the system is already there.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭xTanyax

I think that looks like a Great idea! I'd be well interested.:)

Advertisement