Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New fish shop in Portlaoise- Dalys

Options
  • 21-06-2009 11:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭

I checked out this new shop in Lyster Square the other day, lovely shop with great choice of fresh fish. This has to be a good thing for the town; I'd love to see more proper shops and retail premises like this in the town- do we really need another betting shop (how many in the top square now?).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭adser53

I saw it myself yesterday but didnt have time to run in. I completely agree with you, itd be brilliant if there were more shops like this! I hope it does well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Do they have scallops.......i'm not working sat night and intend doing some cooking so scallops wrapped in parma ham and cooked in balsamic vinegar so getting me through the week:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭budhabob

This is great to hear, absolutely love fish, must just find out now how to cook the fecking thing. (the mother had me spoilt at home).

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Sonic_exyouth

Where is it exactly.. beside what shops like?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

@Sonic exyouth:

Between Grahams newsagents and the butcher's shop.

@budhabob:
    The lady in the shop gave me great, simple instructions on cooking the fish I bought (dover sole- yum!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭budhabob

The lady in the shop gave me great, simple instructions on cooking the fish I bought (dover sole- yum!)

Savage, do they have a good range of fish? MMM, black sole, or ray-wing.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

I saw hake, sole, haddock, monkfish, ray, salmon, plaice, scallops, mussels and more...

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭kizzyf

Will definitely pop in later in the week. Hope it's good value.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭pixcil

I'm not too familiar with Portlaoise but would def like to have a visit to this shop. Is it near the main pedestrianised street at all? Where the court is?
    m

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Silent Partner

pixcil wrote: »
    I'm not too familiar with Portlaoise but would def like to have a visit to this shop. Is it near the main pedestrianised street at all? Where the court is?
    m

It's in Lyster Square. The easiest way is from the Main St. go through the alley between Bank Of Ireland & Abrakebabra. On the left you'll see Grahams Toymaster, then the Vodafone shop and then Dalys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭pixcil

It's in Lyster Square. The easiest way is from the Main St. go through the alley between Bank Of Ireland & Abrakebabra. On the left you'll see Grahams Toymaster, then the Vodafone shop and then Dalys.
    Thanks SP got my bearings now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

It's about time too. I heard a few years back a Fishmongers wanted to setup on Main Street but the other traders (well, a certain select few) voice opposition against this, of course this was before the Laois Shopping Centre brought all the business away from the Main Street area, and of course by then they wouldn't have had any problem with anything that would have brought some business back to the area, muppets.

Then there was the story with the Fishmongers selling from a Van in Lyster Square who were always getting the move along. I wonder if these are the same guys?

Got a lovly piece of cod today from dalys and gave it a battering !!! Turned out perfect and at 8.50 there was enough to feed 3, great value !!

Smoked haddock is next on my list as the wife loves it !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 stalledcon

Ya checked out the fish shop there last week fantastic choice and really fresh. I was speaking to a really nice lady in the shop and she told me that Dalys have another fish shop in Nenagh. I thought this was great news for the mid-lands as the fish is coming all the way up from their fish factory in Cahersiveen in Co.Kerry.

Mitchell's buthchers in Portarlington also carry fish thursday & friday. They get it fresh from the markets in dublin.

Lovely selection ( meat is top notch as well )

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭AidanBoland

The best fish around by far comes from that tiny fish mongers in tullamore

Advertisement