Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

free software

• 21-06-2009 1:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭

Hi all

i havent had a good look at this forum yet looks good.. im looking for advise on what free software that i should get, fruity loops etc... im looking to begin creating tracks, mainly electro, but anyting really as i'll be starting off messing around but when i get familiar i can get better software, so which is the latest version of fruity loops?can you get it for free? and what other recommendations would you have?

any advise is greatly appriciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Neurojazz

Check the resources sticky at the top of the forum - lots of things there to get you started!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Four-Percent

madma wrote: »
    Hi all

i havent had a good look at this forum yet looks good.. im looking for advise on what free software that i should get, fruity loops etc... im looking to begin creating tracks, mainly electro, but anyting really as i'll be starting off messing around but when i get familiar i can get better software, so which is the latest version of fruity loops?can you get it for free? and what other recommendations would you have?

any advise is greatly appriciated.

First off, If by Electro you mean Justice and the likes then stop right now ;) they aren't electro.Don't mean to sound like a knob end but it really annoys me.

second, If you have a mac i believe logic is the way to go, not too expensive and has huge sound libraries.

Fruity loops isn't free, not by a long stretch. I spent a good month looking for "demo" (;)) copies of it and couldn't find any, although there could be some around now.
    If you plan to release your music then buying it is a must.Don't want the po-po to come down on yo ass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Fruity loops is now known as FL Studio, theres a demo but its pretty capped.

Costs 49 for the express version which is utter sh1te to the XXL Producer version with all the features you could want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭madma

ok, was told it was free by someone before maybe they meant the demo.

to answer that question, no not justice or any of that electro house bollix looking at proper electronic tunage ..no cheese...

what im looking for is something to get me started and take it from there, i'll look through the sticky.

cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭VinylJunkie

to answer that question, no not justice or any of that electro house bollix looking at proper electronic tunage ..no cheese...

Thats what Justice, DJ Rankin & Tiesto said starting out :D

Em have a look for demo's, look for ableton and/or reason 4.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jiltloop

Buy a copy of computer music magazine and you'll get plenty of free software to try out. It usually comes with a copy of Reaper and a copy of EnergyXT, also the tracker program, can't remember the name of it now. Also you get plenty of free VST plugins and instruments. Not to mention samples too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭ICN

ok, was told it was free by someone before maybe they meant the demo.

what im looking for is something to get me started and take it from there, i'll look through the sticky.

cheers

I believe that you get free updates for life if you buy FL Studio. Maybe thats the "Free" bit your Mate was talking about.

FL is great stuff. Best of luck with it Man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 thecraichead

I use FL Studio..
    The demo is free to download and the only limitation is that it is save disabled.

I get free lifetime upgrades which is the best deal in the market full stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

The demo version of FL is actually pretty generous IMO. Sure, you can't save your projects but you can export them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

I use FL Studio..
    The demo is free to download and the only limitation is that it is save disabled.

I get free lifetime upgrades which is the best deal in the market full stop.
    in fairness that is an unbelievable deal.wonder how they manage to make money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

You can also download the betas as they release them. They've got a few nice plugins in the works which I'm looking forward to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭madma

FL Studios sounds good is it the latest version tat as the free upgrades for life? would you's recommend getting the demo first or going ahead and getting it? i need to check the price of it.

FL Studios sounds good is it the latest version tat as the free upgrades for life? would you's recommend getting the demo first or going ahead and getting it? i need to check the price of it.

Yeah all versions have free upgrades for life. I recommend getting at least the producer version as this and the XXL package are the most functional. I bought FL when it was in version 7. I got the XXL (boxed) package which was worth the extra cost because it included Sytrus (a really good FM synth). The boxed versions cost more than the downloaded versions.

Go ahead and get the demo first, See if you like it.

It is nice imo and not too difficult to use for making electro. For making Rock or the like its possible but not very powerful really.

Go ahead and get the demo first, See if you like it.

It is nice imo and not too difficult to use for making electro. For making Rock or the like its possible but not very powerful really.

With the right VST's (Guitar Rig etc.) I don't see why FL wouldn't be able to handle rock just as efficiently.

But recording live guitar and the like, I've never tried it really but I've heard it isn't as good as some other DAWs like Cubase but I don't really understand why.

Its great for me, In the end they can all use the same plugins and produce the same in the end. Its just what type of workflow you like.

Fl Studio is great for going back and editing anything in your score or creating pattern based songs

Cubase/Logic/Pro Tools and the like are capable of that aswell but are more suited for live recordings and many live inputs which isn't something that dance music is suited to (Well it depends to be honest)

In the end really just get whatever you feel comfortable in using and what appeals to you most, If someone uses Pro Tools and has all the synths/drum machines etc. in the world as hardware and all the equipment he has is top notch but they can't work with it then they are just wasting their time but someone with a simple 25 key midi controller and FL Studio can create a great track.

Don't want to sound long winded but imo just get FL Studio 8, you will love it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

You can record in FLStudio very easily in the current versions. Its as good as anything else I've seen in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 thecraichead

The only disadvantage FL Studio has when recording is the lack of ability to undertake intense audio editing in the playlist. You have to go in and out of its wave editor (edison). Also chopping and moving multipls small sections of audio is easier in a traditional sequencer. But you can use reaper or anything for that..

FL is otherwise an amazingly sophisticated tool

Advertisement