Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless Network-Poor Signal-Need Help!

Options
  • 21-06-2009 1:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭

Hi everyone, i need a bit of advice on wireless networking. Here is my story:
    I receive wireless broadband from Digiweb and I receive the connection through a Thompson Digital Broadband modem conncted to my HP Compaq PC. I recently purchased a netgear wireless N router from argos and found the signal did not reach the upstairs of my house with any great success even after moving the router and tweaking it etc. So i returned to argos to find that they also had the same router with a usb adapter to attach to any wireless laptops etc-this was called the Rangemax USB 2.0 adapter. When i set this system up, I found i had slightly improved signal, but really not good enough, the signal would fluctuate between 'Very Low' and 'No Signal'. So i have now become disilussioned with using routers, and consigned myself to the fact that until some better routers reach the market, i will have to slightly alter the way i get internet to my upstairs.
    The issue is, my home PC with router is located on ground floor, bottom left, but i am trying to get the internet to upstairs, particularly the right side of the upstairs. So i have checked the argos catalogue and found this http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/0622433/Trail/searchtext>POWERLINE+NETWORKING.htm

I noticed this product because it allows me to get my internet to the upstairs without relying on wireless technology. From the router on my home PC we can receive wireless on all the ground floor, however this signal doesnt make it upstairs even though it is supposed to wireless N...I believe it is due to the walls and concrete floors etc. My plan is to use the adapter from argos to get the net to the upstairs and once i have set this up, then use my old router to send the signaln around the upstairs. Thus I am attempting to have two computers, both with routers, sending wireless internet on both the ground and first floor respectively, using the SAME INTERNET. This is my question, can I have two routers, in separate locations in a house, distributing the same wireless internet??

Your help is much appreciated, because we really are struggling to get the internet around the house! BTW it is just a 2 storey house but like i said there are quite a few walls impeding the signal

Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

Firstly, have you tried upgrading the aerial on the router (some suppor this, some dont) I did this on my eircom netopia router and have had no problems since - just make sure you get a new aerial with the correct connection type

Secondly what you are referring to is a HomePlug (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HomePlug_Powerline_Alliance)

Some are better than others and the Belkin one you are referring to looks over priced - take a browse on Komplett or ebay

Havent used one of these myself, but I have friends who think they are great.

Your other option is a signal repeater, but probably OTT

Best of Luck

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭proteuspal

Hi Im not sure if my router supports this, but i assume it would not need an upgrade as i only purchased it a few days ago. Yes i agree that the Homeplug does seem overpriced. I will try ebay. Have you any opinion on using the homeplug to get the internet to the upstairs and once there, using a second router to provide signal to the upstairs?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

proteuspal wrote: »
    Hi Im not sure if my router supports this, but i assume it would not need an upgrade as i only purchased it a few days ago. Yes i agree that the Homeplug does seem overpriced. I will try ebay. Have you any opinion on using the homeplug to get the internet to the upstairs and once there, using a second router to provide signal to the upstairs?

Hopeplugs are great if they work, but in some homes the powercabling is just too poor.

You can get homeplugs with build-in wireless routers and detachable antenna, that you'd be able to replace with a high gain one. Check also out http://www.solwise.co.uk/net-powerline.htm

If you buy one of those you'd have a wireless router in that room and the network port on the bottom of it for wired devices.

Wireless is really not thought for covering a whole house, especially not to penetrate hollow core and other stuff.

/M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Some_Person

I'd try the Devolo aveasy starter kit, I have them and they work fine although my house it's a 2 story or try the Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 with DD-WRT which might get a signal there since it has a built in amplifier.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

homer911 wrote: »
    Firstly, have you tried upgrading the aerial on the router (some suppor this, some dont) I did this on my eircom netopia router and have had no problems since - just make sure you get a new aerial with the correct connection type

Secondly what you are referring to is a HomePlug (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HomePlug_Powerline_Alliance)

Some are better than others and the Belkin one you are referring to looks over priced - take a browse on Komplett or ebay

Havent used one of these myself, but I have friends who think they are great.

Your other option is a signal repeater, but probably OTT

Best of Luck

Most netgear routers seem to have internal aerials.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭_Sidhe_

Have you tried changing the channel on your wireless network?

Simple enough I know, but if you had installed both networks on the same channel, there's a chance that you may simply be using the same as a neighbour.

Advertisement