Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

question about weight watchers

• 21-06-2009 2:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭

If you are already fairly slim, will WW get you to lose a stubborn 5-10lb?

I'm really short so any weight makes me look stumpy! Everyone I know on it started as very overweight and it worked brilliantly for them, but they were all middle aged so they couldn't get as thin as I would like to be. It seems like a lot of food.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

They will only let you join if you are above a certain weight (10lb above a BMI of 20) http://www.weightwatchers.ie/WWI_Controller.aspx?Page=1017842 I have heard good things about it but have never used it myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭lizzyvera

Ugh, I'm only about 3lb over that. I thought 18.5 was healthy! Where can I get my body fat measured? Okay, I'm not sure what to do so. I'd like to lose weight but I don't want to end up obsessed. I thought WW had a nice healthy, positive method, which appeals to me. Even the names of other diets like "celebrity slim" remind me of those crap magazines that give women low self esteem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Jwacqui

You say in your fod diary that you are 5ft3, in my WW book it says the minimum joining weight for your height is 8st 6lb.

Hope that helps!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

You could just follow the system without going, it is just basic portion control like calorie counting. I would favour calorie counting since the WW points system could steer people towards sugary carbs since it gives extra points to fatty foods, so high sugar foods appear relatively low in points. I would also go for low GI foods.

I eat a fair amount of coconut flour for health reasons as well as it being tasty. 100g of coconut is 602kcal with 53.4g of sat fat, so 21.5points while 602kcal of white sugar is 8.5WW points! So over 2.5 times the points, but I imagine the 21.5points of coconut would not make you as fat as 8.5points of sugar.

If you are not let into WW since you are not heavy enough then I would be seriously wondering if you really need to lose weight anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭lizzyvera

I'm a fiend for coconut! I used to work in an Indian restaurant and learned a few delicious recipes there.
    I'm staying with my parents at the moment and they have high cholesterol and are watching their weight-- are you saying coconut is ok? Can I make full fat kormas? That is very exciting! There is no tasty food allowed in this house.

My favourite korma- serves two- 1 tin coconut milk, ground almond, green cardamon, chilli, clove, salt, whatever else like lemongrass etc(!), tin chickpeas, half pack mange tout, loads of spinach. Different every time and always delicious.

• Advertisement
Advertisement