Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to converse with Germans?

Options
  • 21-06-2009 3:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭

Hey folks,

I will be staying in a small town called Eltmann (near Bamberg) for three weeks in July to do some historical research.

I have some basic German but have a long way to go. Does anyone have any suggestions for me regarding places I could go in the evenings to practice speaking and listening to German (such as coffee shops, pubs, etc.)? I've been told that Germans aren't very open to initiating conversation with strangers. Any tips?

Vielen Dank.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Well one bit of advice I can give ya is that a lot of Germans have a good level of English, while they might be trying to be polite, don't give them the chance because you'll get into a bad habit of speaking English to them.

Just going around to shops, reading etc you'd be suprised how well you'll pick it up in a german speaking environment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 celtic_muffin

Hey!

It is true to an extend, German people do not start a conversations as esily as the Irish people do. It doesn't mean that we are unfriendly though, it just needs a bit efford from your side ;) I would recommend the direct way: Go up to some nice people and tell them that you would like to practice your German. Most people would be happy to help you, as we don't get a lot of people trying to learn our language!
    And if it really about practicing, I would recommend to talk to older people as well. That also has the bonus that they are less likely to speak fluent English which means you h a v e to speak German :) Volunteering might also be an option!
    Enjoy Germany :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

I arrived today. I spent the evening strolling around the town. The people are very friendly and helpful. I went to a bar and the guy beside me struck up a conversation with me - I really like this town. Thanks for the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Empire o de Sun

Germany is pretty friendly, but as said before from my own experience you really have to keep answering in German sometimes (even though they respond in english) to get the conversation flowing in German.

Once you achieve this, you confidence will be much higher (I found) as people will just speak to you in German all the time. In that they are comfortable that they will understand you and you them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

My God, I was in Germany last year and every effort I made to speak german it was just replied with; "It's ok, I speak English, what do you want" Grrrr.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Empire o de Sun

Delta Kilo wrote: »
    My God, I was in Germany last year and every effort I made to speak german it was just replied with; "It's ok, I speak English, what do you want" Grrrr.

Das ist ein Problem in Deutschland. Es ist sehr wichtig auf Deutsch zu antworten. Es ist wichtig fuer Dich und deine Deutsch.

Es tut mir leid fuer mein beschissen Deutsch, das war mein Erste post auf Deutsch.:eek::D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Das habe ich auch gefunden. Man kann sagen, dass er nur Irisch und Deutsch spricht! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭craoltoir

Du hast Recht! Tá an ceart ar fad agat.

Wir wollen nicht immer auf Englisch Reden.

Advertisement