Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Insurance question - is this car imported?

• 21-06-2009 3:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭

Hi,

Firstly apologies if this is in the wrong place. I'm about to get my first ever car of my own (v excited) and have been researching insurance costs, etc. Now, I'm pretty much decided on a particular car; it was first registered in Northern Ireland in 2002 and the owner in 2007 moved to the Republic and VRTed and registered it here and all the paperwork seems to be in order. When I look at online insurance quotes, one of the questions it asks is "has this car been imported?" Now, given that we don't make cars in this country, I assume this means something different than the literal meaning of the words - and can anyone tell me whether it would apply to a car first registered in the North and now registered here? And if so, could I expect to see a big difference in insurance premium? Would I be better off forgetting all about this particular car and looking for another one?

Thanks for any help - I'm terribly new to car ownership and am very grateful for any assistance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,707 ✭✭✭CR 7

i assume being from northern ireland won't affect it really. It's more of a loading for japanese imports etc., for the perceived higher cost of replacement parts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It's a poorly phrased question to be honest. What they really mean is "was the car originally registered outside of this country?" which in your case is yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

bazz26 wrote: »
    It's a poorly phrased question to be honest. What they really mean is "was the car originally registered outside of this country?" which in your case is yes.
    No, a lot of them ask "is this car an import", I always took that as meaning a Jap import or something of the like, ring the insurance comp and ask is your best bet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

I agree with the lads on the jap import kinda thing.
    Ring insurance to be 100%.
    What car ya getting anyways?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭evogirl

id guess it would be classed as an import as it was first registered in the north. but id ring and ask just to be sure though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭fiona-f

Thanks everyone. I guess I'll ring them and see. I'm so completely new to this and didn't want to look entirely clueless on the phone! Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭evogirl

best of luck with the new car anyway :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I asked about this ages ago when I had a Jap import and was p!ssed off with the stupid question asking if the car was imported on all the sites. I emailed one company and asked why they asked the question about was the car imported to Ireland which had no indigenous car industry therefore all cars where imported, bar some Beatles, early Fords and the Shamrock:D. They came back with imported from outside the EU as far as I remember.

As the others have said, best is to ring up and ask as each company will have different T&C's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

The question is asked purely for Jap imports as the majority have no immobilizer and so are a high theft risk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Del2005 wrote: »
    Ireland which had no indigenous car industry therefore all cars where imported, bar some Beatles, early Fords and the Shamrock:D

Don't forget Minis were built here too, and DeLoreans!

• Advertisement
Advertisement